Alloa v Stirling

Fair to say my son's first derby wasn't as memorable as mine!

We were poor today. Can only think of 3/4 players getting pass marks. We don't do ourselves any favours with our build up. Rodden isn't a striker suited to slow build up play, he needs the ball played up fast to be most effective. We looked scared to pass forward at time.

Referee a bit poor but that didn't affect the result.

Aside from his goal last week, I've not been impressed with McKay. Debayo not even in the squad, guessing he's got a niggle?

What was the drama with the Stirling Albion penalty? Coulson and Rice were raging about it to the linesman

Edited by Rory

Poor game of football with very little real creativity rom either side. Stirling deserved their win though, they are clearly a well organised team, hard to break down, capable attackers, and overall making the most of what they have. All credit to Darren Young. Alloa on the other hand were once more very disjointed with no clear plan of how to get the best out of their key men. QoS were so wide open and kamikaze last week that it didn't matter, the chances came along. Against a side who actually challenged us to try and open them up we were clueless. Felt sorry for the kid thrown on for the last 20 minutes. 

Must be said too - and just like the League Cup game - Stirling looked like they wanted it more. Congratulations to them, deserving winners. 

Edited by Waspie

Garbage performance from us and Stirling well worth their win. 

Never looked like scoring at all and never really even looked like creating something to be honest. 

Trying very hard not to completely write of Dave McKay as a new signing but he’s making it very difficult with his first half dozen games, at least he’s suspended now! Really hard to see the challenge for the pen from the far end but thought he had attempted to get the ball so was surprised to see a red card for it?

We need good quality loan players in soon to boost the squad. Ideally two strikers and a defender.

Not convinced with many of the new signings apart from probably Neill and Hetherington.

Like last season we started with two players out of position at full backs. Realise Taggart is probably just getting back to fitness but he signed Deveney who is a natural left back and leaves him on the bench.

The substitution to take off Sammon and Rodden and replace them with Donnelly and Cannon was bizarre. Can understand bringing on Donnelly for one of them but to take them both off for and put on a very raw youngster was a poor decision.

The football under Rice is really poor to watch, the tempo is so slow and agree with Waspie that Stirling looked more up for it, which is unacceptable.

A really poor performance from us with Stirling slightly better so probably worth the three points. Poor defending for the penalty and then a stupid challenge from Mackay. I thought that Mackay tried to get the ball but he did so by going through the back of Carrick so presumably he has been sent off as the referee thinks that there's no way he can get the ball without committing a foul. I'll be interested to see the incident in the second half when Rodden went down in the box as it looked to me as though he was caught by the defender.

We look like a team who are still trying to settle, the midfield was largely disjointed, Mackay looks to have a mistake in him every week, and Rodden and Sammon struggled to make any impact. It also looks like we're in for another year Rice deciding to play attacking / wide midfielders as wing backs. Hopefully the team will improve as Taggart and Donnelly get back to fitness.

it's very early in the season but the team needs to improve. We need a bit more composure in defence (conceding 3 penalties in 2 games is worrying) and we need to be significantly more creative up front.

25 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

Really hard to see the challenge for the pen from the far end but thought he had attempted to get the ball so was surprised to see a red card for it?

Carrick got cute, got in front of him and there was a tangle of legs. Didn't look like there was an attempt to play the ball,just a clumsy coming together. 

Ironically, a rash attempt to try to win a tackle that he had no chance of doing would've been more worthy of a red. Issue is with the law and not the referee here, imo, but that's another story. 

Typical game for us under Young. Absorbed what pressure there was well, gave away few chances and had just about enough quality to win it. 

Alloa's lack of threat was remarkable. One headed chance over in the first half and one save from Currie in the second. Otherwise there was nothing. 

34 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

Trying very hard not to completely write of Dave McKay as a new signing but he’s making it very difficult with his first half dozen games, at least he’s suspended now! Really hard to see the challenge for the pen from the far end but thought he had attempted to get the ball so was surprised to see a red card for it?

None of that will be a surprise to any QOS fan.

Dreadful player.

48 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Poor game of football with very little real creativity rom either side. Stirling deserved their win though, they are clearly a well organised team, hard to break down, capable attackers, and overall making the most of what they have. All credit to Darren Young. Alloa on the other hand were once more very disjointed with no clear plan of how to get the best out of their key men. QoS were so wide open and kamikaze last week that it didn't matter, the chances came along. Against a side who actually challenged us to try and open them up we were clueless. Felt sorry for the kid thrown on for the last 20 minutes. 

Must be said too - and just like the League Cup game - Stirling looked like they wanted it more. Congratulations to them, deserving winners. 

Can't disagree with any of this, Stirling the better side.

Concerning how many soft goals we are giving away, gaps in the centre of defence and penalties. Why do we keep shelling the ball forwards when we have no one to hold it?

50 minutes ago, Magic Hat said:

Two poor quality teams, three shots on target in the whole game.

Fair play to Stirling, Carrick is a handful and took a good penalty.

Stirling look a decent side to me, as their results so far this season would seem to confirm.

25 minutes ago, Magic Hat said:

We need good quality loan players in soon to boost the squad. Ideally two strikers and a defender.

Not convinced with many of the new signings apart from probably Neill and Hetherington.

Like last season we started with two players out of position at full backs. Realise Taggart is probably just getting back to fitness but he signed Deveney who is a natural left back and leaves him on the bench.

The substitution to take off Sammon and Rodden and replace them with Donnelly and Cannon was bizarre. Can understand bringing on Donnelly for one of them but to take them both off for and put on a very raw youngster was a poor decision.

The football under Rice is really poor to watch, the tempo is so slow and agree with Waspie that Stirling looked more up for it, which is unacceptable.

I can see that opinion, but to be fair to Cannon he did just as well in his short time on the pitch as Sammon and Rodden combined.

I was more pissed that having largely wasted Wee Kev at wing back (again) he hauled him off when he could contribute so much in an central attacking position.

“Stirling get battered everywhere they go, everywhere they go”…….strange choice of song for your young team to chant, but you have to be better than that to batter the current Stirling team and, as the Wasps alluded too above, Alloa just weren’t capable of doing that.

I don’t think Alloa were really that bad, you reminded me of Edinburgh City last week, you’re well organised and difficult to play against, but on today’s performance you really didn’t have much, certainly nothing in the final third and a severe lack of any kind of creative spark. I honestly thought you would have been better under Rice and would force yourself into a Play Off spot, but not on today’s showing.

I had a fantastic view of the foul for the penalty, what was McKay thinking?? Carrick was fantastic in getting in front of him, but it was always a Goalscoring opportunity and it was always a red card if he made contact, so let him hit the shot and keep 11 men on the pitch…….but I’m not unhappy with his decision making 😂

I thought we deserved our win, for @Magic Hat to say we are a poor side is a bit of a surprise to me. There wasn’t much in the game, 2 or 3 chances in the First Half and a couple of half chances in the Second, penalty aside, but throughout the squad, again you saw the fights, the character and the resilience. I’m starting to bore myself in saying it, but I love this squad.

I thought from start to finish, the back 4 were fantastic, with Jojo and Cummins probably being the 2 biggest candidates for MOTM. I read a lot on here and on Facebook about how our Defence was a concern, they’re proving people wrong because I think, by and large, they’ve been outstanding since the Vivaplay Cup started. Carrick did what Carrick does up front, we’re so lucky to have him, and the support around him also work tirelessly to get the ball into areas to hurt teams.

Great to have the derby back, great to have maximum points from 2 games and great to beat our local rivals at their own place. 

7 minutes ago, printer said:

I can see that opinion, but to be fair to Cannon he did just as well in his short time on the pitch as Sammon and Rodden combined.

I was more pissed that having largely wasted Wee Kev at wing back (again) he hauled him off when he could contribute so much in an central attacking position.

He did okay when he came on but never looked like scoring. Fair enough neither did Rodden or Sammon, but would have been a better option to keep one of them on considering they scored three goals last week and try something different with Donnelly.

100% agree about Cawley, really poor management from Rice.

Edited by Magic Hat

Disappointed but not too surprised, we had so little to offer going forward. Stirling played the better football and, despite neither keeper being really tested in open play, they deserved the win.

Stirling could be a surprise package this term, but for us we look in dire need of some reinforcement from the loan market. Looking like a long season already.

47 minutes ago, Magic Hat said:

Thought Cannon looked OK. By that time we were just punting every ball up high but he done ok winning a couple of headers. He chased down the ball well, showed a bit of effort and desire that most of our team were lacking today. 

About the only positive from today is that LD and Taggs got some minutes into their legs and McKay is suspended next week.