Scottish Cup 2023/24

34 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

If you look at the early days of cup football you’ll see exactly why reversals are refused.  All sorts of shenanigans are possible if we did so.

It happens in England. A few years ago some non-league club drew Arsenal at home. Their ground was allegedly too small, and they eagerly agreed to switch to the Emirates and a financial bonanza. Of course they lost by a barrowload, whereas they might just have caused a surprise at home.

It caused a lot of adverse comment, and IIRC it was reported that it wouldn't be allowed in Scotland.

12 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Get a grip. You’ve been on here simping for them all week. If the club is getting that from Fort William themselves. Fort William were desperate to play mind games and are now engaged in a wee misinformation war with their big gammon manager talking shite in the press. 
They’ve seen the reaction and that they are an even bigger laughing stock in the eyes of Scottish Football and find themselves desperately trying to deflect. 

I think you might be mixing up the manager with the chairman.

On 14/08/2023 at 16:53, welshbairn said:

Fort replied yesterday on their fb page that nothing's been sorted yet. The chairman's probably playing daft games again like he did with the HL playoffs, trying to make out they're the victims, when he's not retweeting Matt Le Tissier that is. He's likely trying to find a way of dropping the blame on Highland Council. 

It now appears that Fort William have dealt with the situation the best they could, with zero cooperation from Clydebank.

Edited by welshbairn

10 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

It happens in England. A few years ago some non-league club drew Arsenal at home. Their ground was allegedly too small, and they eagerly agreed to switch to the Emirates and a financial bonanza. Of course they lost by a barrowload, whereas they might just have caused a surprise at home.

It caused a lot of adverse comment, and IIRC it was reported that it wouldn't be allowed in Scotland.

If you're thinking of Sutton United then the game was played at Sutton. Arsenal's last home match with a non-league club was in 1956.

13 minutes ago, RedEd said:

If you're thinking of Sutton United then the game was played at Sutton. Arsenal's last home match with a non-league club was in 1956.

Was that not when the keeper was caught munching a pie on the bench, after some bookie had offered odds on it and he got his knuckles wrapped afterwards. Bizzare.

21 minutes ago, RedEd said:

No, I was thinking of Farnborough.

It was a bit longer ago than I remembered (old age problem!), as the game was switched to Highbury, not the Emirates. It was still officially a Farnborough home game, so that explains the record you've found. And the fact that Arsenal wore their away kit. See http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/2671825.stm

1 hour ago, F_T_Y said:

Was that not when the keeper was caught munching a pie on the bench, after some bookie had offered odds on it and he got his knuckles wrapped afterwards. Bizzare.

The very one. I'm sure he ate a pastie or sausage roll instead of a pie, but the FA still went after him.

2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Utter drivel 

Tbf, you were given options but chose to reject them all. It's not ideal and undoubtedly FW and their bampot of a chairman should have been stripped of their lisence years ago... But Clydebank hasn't exactly been helpful so Golspie it is.

Enjoy!

19 hours ago, Spyro said:

Tbf, you were given options but chose to reject them all. It's not ideal and undoubtedly FW and their bampot of a chairman should have been stripped of their lisence years ago... But Clydebank hasn't exactly been helpful so Golspie it is.

Enjoy!

Now playing at Fort William on the Saturday night.

The offers Fort are saying they made are nonsense...and their latest statement backs that up as they go totally against what they said regarding one of those offers.

19 hours ago, Spyro said:

Enjoy!

Dont believe everything you read

21 minutes ago, not man of the match said:

Now playing at Fort William on the Saturday night.

The offers Fort are saying they made are nonsense...and their latest statement backs that up as they go totally against what they said regarding one of those offers.

The statements made by them are self-contradictory and I think best thing is for us to say no more about it and let us do our talking on the park.

4 minutes ago, BANKIEBILL said:

Dont believe everything you read

Fair enough I take it back. 

I just (foolishly) assumed that concidering their reputation of being an incompetent joke of a club, they would want to be seen to be doing the right thing and not taking the piss again. Their 1st statement seems to put the ball in Clydebank's court and while I had my doubts, I stupidly gave them the benefit of the doubt.

Their license really has to be looked at given the nonsense of the last few years, it's beyond a joke now

1 minute ago, Spyro said:

Fair enough I take it back. 

I just (foolishly) assumed that concidering their reputation of being an incompetent joke of a club, they would want to be seen to be doing the right thing and not taking the piss again. Their 1st statement seems to put the ball in Clydebank's court and while I had my doubts, I stupidly gave them the benefit of the doubt.

Their license really has to be looked at given the nonsense of the last few years, it's beyond a joke now

We shouldn't get into a big slagging match with Fort William about whats gone on and i'll leave their statement alone tbh. The date has obviously been an issue - clashing as it does with a long established event. However we also have a responsibility to fans and this is a better option that the alternative we were given. Processes to deal with this kind of situation need to be looked at I think. 

24 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Can someone post the statement here please, or a link maybe?

· 
STATEMENT AND UPDATED NEWS ON SCOTTISH CUP FIXTURE:
Following the announcement that our Scottish Gas Scottish Cup tie against Clydebank would now take place at King George V Park, Golspie, subject to SFA ratification, we can now confirm that following Clydebank getting in contact with the club, they have agreed to play the game at Claggan Park, Fort William on Saturday 2nd September at 7:30 pm (after the Ben Nevis Race).
We had originally proposed an evening kickoff time for Saturday 2nd September more than 3 weeks ago, however Clydebank initially declined this offer. We were disappointed by this as we believed this was the best solution to the problem. This is due to the fact the SFA did not allow a fixture reversal to Holm Park, Clydebank and the game could also not take place any later than Saturday 2nd September, which is why the evening kickoff at Claggan Park would make sense.
After this offer was declined, we made attempts to secure an alternative ground for the game as close to Fort William as we could in places such as Inverness and Grantown. Some SFA approved grounds closest to Fort William already had games being played on them on that date, another was declined by a club. Out of the options available to us we believed that the next best option rather than the evening kickoff at Claggan was to play the game in Golspie. We thank Golspie Sutherland for agreeing to host the game. The SFA were satisfied with our strong efforts into securing an alternative ground for this game.
After this news was confirmed, Clydebank decided to retract their initial decision, and decided to accept our original offer from 3 weeks ago of an evening kickoff on 02/09/23.
We are glad that this issue has finally came to an all round mutual agreement as the situation has unnecessarily been dragged on, considering the initial offer of an evening kickoff time at Claggan Park was made more than 3 weeks ago. We look forward to welcoming Clydebank and their supporters to Claggan Park and we are hopeful for an entertaining game of Scottish Cup football. The club can now fully focus on the upcoming North Caledonian League game as we travel to Recreation Grounds, Invergordon where we face Orkney FC on Saturday. Kickoff time is 1 pm tomorrow afternoon.
Confirmed Scottish Gas Scottish Cup second round Preliminary tie:
Fort William vs. Clydebank
Claggan Park, Fort William
Saturday 2nd September 2023
7:30pm kickoff.

You can't beat a right good passive-aggressive statement however, it was a bit light on specific detail as to why they found themselves unable to use their home ground because of a hill race. to the outsider it makes them look more than a bit incompetent.