Scotland Squad: Sep-2023 (Cyprus, England)

1 hour ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Porteous is the man with the shirt , and some say Souttar has not been that convincing ?!

Hendry in the middle of the back three

Would agree with Porteous > Souttar

However, Souttar plays for Sevco and that has always counted for a lot in Scotland selections, regardless of merit

The thing about McKenna is that he’s the only actual central defender we have playing at the highest level. As he’s left footed, he makes way for Tierney. But I can see McKenna taking over from Hanley in the middle.

I think you’re probably correct thought at it’ll be Hendry, he’s at least played in that position. 

With Ben Doak not being deemed good enough to come on against Bournemouth and Newcastle, it was shaping up to be a quiet week for the @ScotlandNT Reply Guys, however some terrible news filtered through this morning that Ryan Gauld scored a penalty against Portland Timbers so the Cult of Gauld will no doubt be in out in force when the squad gets announced. Stay safe out there!

9 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

Anderson from Newcastle in the squad I see. On as a sub against Cyprus and that’s him tied down. 

Needs to play more than 3 competitive games because he's under 21 I think. Turns 21 in November though so a cap v Georgia or Norway would do it.

Just now, Jaggy McJagface said:

Given that this is quite a big squad for 2 games and that Clarke doesn’t usually like wasting people’s time by calling them up without the intention to use them, I wonder if we will see a lot of rotation in the lineup for the England game.

We had an even bigger squad for Norway and Georgia in June. Anderson gets his first call up and Che Adams is recalled after coming back from injury, but Tony Ralston, Dominic Hyam, Liam Cooper and Greg Taylor have all dropped out along with Ross McCrorie who was called up to replace Ralston who was injured after the last squad announcement. We went very high on defenders in the last squad because IIRC there were a few injury doubts who’d been named in the squad but we weren’t 100% sure they’d be able to actually play.

I would expect Clarke to go strong against England for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the importance of FIFA rankings mean that international friendlies still carry an element of importance and ideally we’d like to at least draw the game. But also and perhaps even more importantly, international managers only get around 10 opportunities per year to actually put a team out and it’s important to get the team continuing to play well together before the euros next summer if we do indeed complete the job of qualifying. 

4 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

It looks like the strongest group of players I think we have assembled in a long long time

There’s still players like Hanley, Cooper, and Taylor who usually make squads that aren’t in this one, and Ben Doak could potentially break into the team this season.

Clarke could have a real selection dilemma come next summer when naming his 26 man squad (should we get there) and that’s really encouraging.

Oh my, really surprised about Anderson - for a squad to face England too. 

Brown and Taylor the noteworthy exclusions and I thought Hyam would make it with Cooper and Hanley both missing (although he might come in if McKenna drops out).