Scotland Squad: Sep-2023 (Cyprus, England)

Canny still be folk assuming we'll get scudded by fuckin Spain in the return fixture. They are dug meat and we are a better team than them.
The last result was no shock to me. Deserved winners all over the park. 

England are a step up for sure but it doesn't matter. (It definitely does matter)

Anyway, Scotland -2 is my bet for tomorrow. Besotted with this team. 

45 minutes ago, Stoo61 said:

Canny still be folk assuming we'll get scudded by fuckin Spain in the return fixture. They are dug meat and we are a better team than them.
The last result was no shock to me. Deserved winners all over the park. 

England are a step up for sure but it doesn't matter. (It definitely does matter)

Anyway, Scotland -2 is my bet for tomorrow. Besotted with this team. 

This is same kind of arrogance that folk on here will moan about English fans displaying.

Spain just won the Nations League a couple of months ago. We outplayed them at Hampden but they will still be big favourites for the game over there because their squad is better than ours. We definitely have a chance though, and I think we'll have an even better chance if we go into it on 5 out of 5 and with qualification either secured or all but secured.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Spain just won the Nations League a couple of months ago. We outplayed them at Hampden but they will still be big favourites for the game over there because their squad is better than ours. We definitely have a chance though, and I think we'll have an even better chance if we go into it on 5 out of 5 and with qualification either secured or all but secured.

I get that argument too, but our team being better coached and set up than theirs trumps any increase in quality their squad might have. Rodri, Gavi and Pedri might be better than players we have, but they're that good that they can override the system Clarke puts in place. 

I don't think they are dugmeat, but I reckon we'll beat them over there too.

I would say a draw or narrow defeat over there is most likely, but us beating them at Hampden wasn’t an accident. 

Really where this team is at now, qualifying for the euros is a minimum standard. Should be looking to get past the group stages as a realistic aim. 

10 hours ago, eez-eh said:

This is same kind of arrogance that folk on here will moan about English fans displaying.

Arrogance my hoop. I watched it. We've been shite for decades and will be shite again for decades but right now, Im having this, absolutely lapping it up. I deserve it. 

Only reason John McGinn isn't on the Ballon d'Or list is because of the Anglocentric bias in world journalism. Bellingham couldn't sluice the sand out of McGinn's thong.......sorry what were we talking about again?

I do wonder if how we played Spain becomes a template for how others will as well. Spain are still a fantastic side, but if you nullify their preferred method, they run out of ideas very quickly. Morocco did it at the WC to great effect, and we did something very similar.

Allow them to have the ball, but not without being contested 25 yards from goal and force it to the wings. They tend to overplay it, put in crosses to diminutive (and honestly quite poor) attackers, or cut inside into traffic. We seemed to be setup against Georgia and Spain to invite the winger to cut inside but avoid the temptation to tackle and just usher them from one side of the area to the other.

It does require teams to be disciplined and ‘accept’ a more deferential approach. It’s why sides like Croatia, England or Holland can’t use it so easily - they’re not so used to building a defensive game plan in response. Scotland, Japan, or Morocco have no such issues.

Spain have some fantastic players, but their strikers are as weak a any ‘big’ side in Europe, and their mids/attackers aren’t at the levels to play the same game that Xavi/Iniesta/Xabi/Silva/Busquets used to.

Rodri is some player but he can only win games by scoring from 25 yards. Spain lack the threat from other areas, so he’s less effective for them than he is for Man City. 

A narrow defeat is the most likely result, but getting something from the game wouldn’t be the achievement it would have been in 2012.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm