St Mirren - v - Aberdeen 27 August

Just now, Doonhame Buddie said:

I think the Captain is being kind to you by suggesting the game should have stopped when the officials saw the encroachment.  Mind you if they didn’t see the obvious double tap they were never going to see the encroachment. 

The encroachment is an obvious spot. It’s gross incompetence not to spot it 

In terms of ourselves today. There is merit in what Aberdeen fans are saying that we have ourselves to blame as well.

We had the foot on their throat for the full match. There was no threat from Aberdeen whatsoever and we've allowed them to score an absolutely nonsense goal completely of our own doing and given away what was a careless stonewall but stupid penalty, regardless of how it was or wasn't taken.

On the other hand, we camped out in Aberdeen's third for large portions of the match, we created plenty, we scored twice and should have had at least two more.

We need that killer instinct though. Aberdeen are a good side and good sides pull results out of shite performances. We very nearly put a better team than us to bed today and actually should have done so comfortably. The RandomGuys of the forum can go on about how we are stupidly positive having achieved nothing but the way we play and the way we are set out, certainly doesn't feel like nothing has been achieved. I've never watched a St. Mirren team that I am confident can go toe to toe on any given day with any team in Scotland and realistically come away with a result.

Indeed following the old St. Mirren trope, that goal at half time would have gone in today, we'd have huffed and puffed the full second half and the game would have petered out and finished 1-0 or Aberdeen would have rope-a-doped us for a second with a few minutes left. The archetypal St. Mirren FC performance.

The fact that at this point in time, we are not there and are miles away from it, is what gives a lot of St. Mirren supporters a bit of pride and optimism. It's also not shitfesting, we play high energy, high press and its honestly quite exciting to watch. Think its hard to deny us enjoying this, we came a fucking bawhair from being Falkirk only 6 years ago.

6 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

There was plenty baffling decisions from Beaton against Aberdeen. 

The only obvious one I missed was Tanser should have had a foul against him in the first half for doing the Harry Kane special on the Aberdeen boy who went arse over tit and landed hard on his back. 

Wasn't nice to see and genuinely think in next 3 or 4 years it'll be clamped down on hard.

Apart from that, nothing controversial against Aberdeen. There were a lot of fouls given against you in first half but that was because Robson seemed to set the stall out for his defence to do everything they could not to let Olusanya turn them which mainly amounted to just foul him to stop it happening.

Edited by djchapsticks

Just prior to the Hayes free kick it appeared to me that Boyd-Munce booted the ball off an Aberdeen player and went out of play. Unbelievably the assistant linesman gave a throw in to Aberdeen which unfortunately soon led to the free kick being conceded. 

That’s the way I saw it at the time. Was  it a throw to Aberdeen? Seemed an odd decision at a time when Aberdeen had no foothold in the game. 

10 minutes ago, AW saint said:

It's the inconsitency that kills you. Beaton looks at the screen for the penalty for Aberdeen but does not look at the actual claims for a double hit. 

All we are looking for is fairness

It’s Euan Anderson that’s to blame not Beaton.  

VAR has a huge amount of power over what happens in games these days. 

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

I personally thought his distribution was poor again today. I'd drop him for O'hara once he is fit.

Thank goodness you are not in charge then. You must have been watching that other game...............the one in the alternate universe

43 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

There's encroachment and the keeper is off his line so it would have been retaken anyway 👍🏻

40 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

There’s encroachment from Aberdeen players as well so, ignoring the double touch, it should indeed have been retaken 

Let's just say that as the penalty was being taken the only player definitely not cheating was the Aberdeen keeper.

3 games in 7 points from 9 and a quarter final spot in the cup. It’s been a great start to the season. 

I haven’t seen or heard anyone going overboard about where we’ll eventually finish. We play a high intensity pressing game but we are also a very decent footballing side.

if we are sitting in the top six after the first quarter of games, then that will be a better indication of our chances of staying there. 

It’s a great start no more no less.

1 minute ago, Molotov said:

Just prior to the Hayes free kick it appeared to me that Boyd-Munce booted the ball off an Aberdeen player and went out of play. Unbelievably the assistant linesman gave a throw in to Aberdeen which unfortunately soon led to the free kick being conceded. 

That’s the way I saw it at the time. Was  it a throw to Aberdeen? Seemed an odd decision at a time when Aberdeen had no foothold in the game. 

VAR official probably decided it was too far before the incident. 

I really do hope that offside has a different set of guidelines for how far you go back, if they don’t then that’s another infuriating decision. 

5 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Sometimes the truth hurts. Aberdeen expectations are way above reality. Have been since Fergie left for the land of milk and honey. Aberdeen are bog standard on one of the Leagues highest budgets.  . 

:lol: Sleep it off buddy 

54 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

What exactly has happened to St Mirren fans on here? For the fourth weekend in a row their match thread has been far and away the longest. 

One of the reasons is that fans of other clubs not involved in the game pitching in with their opinions. 

I don’t like to say….but we are currently “box office”.

I’d rather we just went under the radar as I fear that Hibs will come calling for Robbo. 

If high spending Aberdeen paid us decent compensation for Jim Goodwin who got the third biggest job in domestic Scottish football on the back of a lucky run of form then Hibs would be mad not to make an approach for our manager. 

I hope Robbo is settled in Paisley but the lure of the Hibs green £££££ may be difficult for him to turn down.