St Mirren - v - Aberdeen 27 August

5 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

The keeper whose just conceded a goal is claiming something to stop it being a goal?

Have you ever watched football before?

How often does that happen at a penalty?

I've never seen a goal keeper claiming for a retake based on encroachment, neither for a double touch.

Edited by Bobby_F

13 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Lads, VAR is an unmitigated waste of money. It has been long before it arrived in our wee league. 

Those who know better than us have decided we will have it for all eternity so just be grateful. 

You will win some and lose some, but it’ll always be shite. 

This is far too sensible a post for on here 

13 hours ago, houston_bud said:

I agree with this (apart from the offsides, calling marginal offsides - sometimes by centimetres - from a freeze frame is a nonsense but that's another debate)

What irks me though is that some decisions we appear to be demanding absolute clarity, yet there are marginal, debateable decisions where VAR intervenes all the time. How many questionable handballs (not yesterday's I add) are given from VAR? The two penalties in the Rangers v Morton game last week were marginal decisions - certainly not clear and obvious errors. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks that loads of decisions are over turned by VAR when they're not 100% sure, but on balance think the referee made an error.

This is the crux of it for me.

It feels like the threshold this season seems to be higher, and could just be we've been unlucky to have been on the wrong end of that increased threshold twice - with one of those costing us two points.

Will be interesting to watch how the 'clear and obvious' criteria pans out in the coming weeks and months.

50 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

How often does that happen at a penalty?

I've never seen a goal keeper claiming for a retake based on encroachment, neither for a double touch.

Has happened quite a few times, inc earlier this year at Newcastle vs Fulham.  Keeper appeals straight away 

14 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Lads, VAR is an unmitigated waste of money. It has been long before it arrived in our wee league. 

Those who know better than us have decided we will have it for all eternity so just be grateful. 

You will win some and lose some, but it’ll always be shite. 

Wish I could like this twice. Excellently put

28 minutes ago, O_Kahn said:

Has happened quite a few times, inc earlier this year at Newcastle vs Fulham.  Keeper appeals straight away 

I’m not saying it never happens, but the comment I replied to suggested it happens so often that to put any weight on a goalkeeper’s reaction is naïveté.  

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

I still don’t see it as definite? 
Hits the ball in to the ground? 
Not 100% clear & obvious? 

Besides who cares it was two days ago. 

Not sure why you've replied if you don't care. But if you zoom into the ball it is 100% clear that Miovski hits the ball with his left foot into his right heel. Delighted it wasn't disallowed though. 

1 hour ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

Not really. 

Interesting view.

12 minutes ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

If the referee deems there to be no way the ball could make that movement without a double touch why should he not overturn it?

Do you even physics bro?

I never physics, I usually chemistry.

34 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Not sure why you've replied if you don't care. But if you zoom into the ball it is 100% clear that Miovski hits the ball with his left foot into his right heel. Delighted it wasn't disallowed though. 

https://x.com/obanreds/status/1696074052945723787?s=61

Go on then, show us the zoomed in image that 100% shows it as I haven’t seen one. Not with anything close to that degree of certainty.

1 hour ago, O_Kahn said:

He didn't say it never happens. His question asked "how often" and you know perfectly well it isn't something that keepers try and claim every time there's a penalty. It's very very rare and citing one example from the hundreds and hundreds of games that took place last season in a different league doesn't change that fact.

4 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

As @AngusTheBull mentioned above, what about the penalty appeal we had for hand ball after the one we got? 
That kind of fell under the radar? 
Was the players arm at his side? Probably but they never showed that as forensically as the others 

I’ve said before that I think we got away with that one. It happened right in front of me and my initial reaction was penalty.

I know his arm was by his side but it looked to me like he deliberately played the ball with his arm.

I was relieved when it wasn’t given

I half think that VAR didn’t give it because they’d already let you away with the double touch penalty 

I’d have been interested to see this one again

6 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

4 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

He didn't say it never happens. His question asked "how often" and you know perfectly well it isn't something that keepers try and claim every time there's a penalty. It's very very rare and citing one example from the hundreds and hundreds of games that took place last season in a different league doesn't change that fact.

Eddie, are you at it?

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

Still inconclusive for me, viewing on a phone. But it's typical of the anti St Mirren conspiracy at the SFA that this footage wasn't immediately subpoenaed and considered by VAR

I think that clip is pretty conclusive but I take your point that it's on a phone.

Are there not VAR cameras behind the goals though? Presumably that was inconclusive too? Does St Mirren TV / Sportscene not have access to VAR cameras behind the goal?