St Mirren - v - Aberdeen 27 August

Yesterday was the 4th highest attendance at the ground since we moved in 14 years ago. 

Killie in 2009 for first game, Dundee Utd for playoff final in 2018 and Killie for last game pre split last season are the only higher attendances.

Our 7th home match to top a 7,000 crowd since we last met Aberdeen at home on Xmas eve. Before this run, we have only ever had 4 games in the history of the stadium exceed 7,000 supporters.

It also marked the 13th game since the start of 2022/23 with an attendance of over 6000 compared to about 16 6k+ attendances in the 10 years prior, mostly due to the nonsense two stands.

Of course this mark up is also partly due to Aberdeen,  Hearts, Hibs, Killie, Motherwell really stepping up with away crowds and packing out the away end but our home crowds consistently increasing by 25% is really encouraging stuff.

7 hours ago, AW saint said:

Time to look at this in context. Firstly remove the obvious VAR decisions

Aye?

What “decisions” are they?

There’s the debate on whether Miovski double kicked it or just kicked it in to the ground. 
I’ve seen a super slo-mo umpteen times & can’t make up my mind.

Not “clear & obvious”

Decisions?

What others?……………. 

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

Which is populated by half-witted, saints obsessed balloons from other clubs making brainless contributions.

Just in case you're too stupid to realise, that includes you.

I've had one other post that said VAR got it wrong on the penalty double touch.

Are you disagreeing?

4 hours ago, WHU said:

Firstly well done St Mirren, my grandson loved the pre match football darts and basketball great to see this at the ground.  Have said from day 1 that VAR in Scotland was a bit pointless due to the number of cameras at games, they rarely get a good angle on a lot of the calls they have to make.  Got to wish Aberdeen all the best in midweek hoping the get through and are in West Ham’s group because on what I watched yesterday it it would make the Hibs result against Villa look respectable. 

First of all our performance was complete  rubbish but it's a point more than we usually get at Paisley so I will take it.

I'd be delighted if we have West Ham in our group as it will mean we are in the Europa League group stage which is something St Mirren will never experience.

18 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

First of all our performance was complete  rubbish but it's a point more than we usually get at Paisley so I will take it.

I'd be delighted if we have West Ham in our group as it will mean we are in the Europa League group stage which is something St Mirren will never experience.

Correct. Champions League for us next season. Wee win at Livvy next time out will cement our position in the Champions League spots.

Oh, and while I’m here I can categorically say there’s no truth in the rumour that some St Mirren fans are getting a bit Billy Big Baws regarding our league position after three games. No truth whatsoever. 😁

21 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I've had one other post that said VAR got it wrong on the penalty double touch.

Are you disagreeing?

It was more directed at the needless "binfire" post.

Apologies if you have actually made some decent contributions.

There are so many of your team's supporters on here, I just lumped you in with the halfwits.

4 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

Now we're hearing Bojan should have been booked for celebrating.

Brilliant.

Sent off as M8  it'd have been a second yellow if he'd been booked for his injury feigning + Lazarus ungentlemanly conduct earlier 😄.

Edited by Bobby_F

3 hours ago, Div said:

The double touch thing is a black & white decision (excuse the pun) so like the offside calls he wouldn’t have been asked to review it, just told yay or nay.

I get your point, but maybe if he'd have looked he'd have seen that when Anderson said  'black' that it was actually 'white'.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Decisions? There was one contentious VAR dscision, no more. In your opinion what other VAR decision was debatable?

46 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Aye?

What “decisions” are they?

There’s the debate on whether Miovski double kicked it or just kicked it in to the ground. 
I’ve seen a super slo-mo umpteen times & can’t make up my mind.

Not “clear & obvious”

Decisions?

What others?……………. 

I’m guessing the other decision people are regarding as contentious is the Olusanya offside. Not whether he was offside or not, but whether play should’ve been taken back that far, given two Aberdeen players touch the ball after the offside. Arguably not even two phases of play but three. Remember the assistant referee didn’t give offside. 

Just now, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I’m guessing the other decision people are regarding as contentious is the Olusanya offside. Not whether he was offside or not, but whether play should’ve been taken back that far, given two Aberdeen players touch the ball after the offside. Arguably not even two phases of play but three. Remember the assistant referee didn’t give offside. 

I asked about this on the VAR thread; offside may have a different threshold than a standard foul, but even then how far do you go back?

I'm sure there'll be an answer, but since the goal we got chopped off against Dundee United I've never seen VAR rule out a goal for something that happened so long before the goal.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

On the thorny issue of decisions, why on earth was baccus complaining after his “disallowed goal” in the first half when he was basically standing in the away end when the ball was struck? 

I don’t think he was really (complaining that is - not offside 😀). He had a big smile on his face I’m sure. He knew he was well offside. 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

On the thorny issue of decisions, why on earth was baccus complaining after his “disallowed goal” in the first half when he was basically standing in the away end when the ball was struck? 

I'm pretty sure the rule is now , that if the defender plays the ball deliberately then any player in a previous offside position is played on. Beaton looked like he was saying that the ball hit the defender first , rather than the defender played it deliberately ?

I can't see a double touch on any of the penalty footage. I feel, based on what we can see, and the balance of probability given the way the player moves, the ball moves, and Miovski behaves afterwards, that it probably happened. But VAR can't overrule that.

It's very similar to the goal Vs Dundee that probably crossed the line. I believe it did, but who can really say?

All this points to the fact that we HAVE to question the value of VAR. There is a true lottery in terms of what it can/can't see. Perhaps the authorities should draw the line and admit we can only afford Diet VAR at best, and say it can only deal with offsides. 🤷‍♂️

40 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

He was half heartedly trying to convince the referee that the ball had been played in by the Aberdeen player but he knew fine that it was deflected which is why he was doing so with a smirk.

24 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I can't see a double touch on any of the penalty footage. I feel, based on what we can see, and the balance of probability given the way the player moves, the ball moves, and Miovski behaves afterwards, that it probably happened. But VAR can't overrule that.

It's very similar to the goal Vs Dundee that probably crossed the line. I believe it did, but who can really say?

All this points to the fact that we HAVE to question the value of VAR. There is a true lottery in terms of what it can/can't see. Perhaps the authorities should draw the line and admit we can only afford Diet VAR at best, and say it can only deal with offsides. 🤷‍♂️

I said exactly the same yesterday on here and got red dotted by some St Mirren fan. You're probably safe.

19 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I agree with this (apart from the offsides, calling marginal offsides - sometimes by centimetres - from a freeze frame is a nonsense but that's another debate)

What irks me though is that some decisions we appear to be demanding absolute clarity, yet there are marginal, debateable decisions where VAR intervenes all the time. How many questionable handballs (not yesterday's I add) are given from VAR? The two penalties in the Rangers v Morton game last week were marginal decisions - certainly not clear and obvious errors. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks that loads of decisions are over turned by VAR when they're not 100% sure, but on balance think the referee made an error.

25 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

The argument I made yesterday.

The clubs pay through the nose for a VAR system that appears to be not fit for purpose in terms of providing a full picture of what can and cannot be judged on. 

When it comes to basic things such as 'did a ball cross the line' and 'was the dead ball touched twice by the player', VAR should be able to give 100% definitive answers and until it does, officials will have to give the benefit of the doubt.

The offside really did irritate me yesterday though. The linesman is still there to make a decision. I could see sitting on halfway that Olusanya was at least half a body width off and I thought by keeping the flag down despite being in a far better position than I was, the linesman perhaps saw something I didn't and was making the decision that he was actually on. But nope, i gave him too much credit...instead we get another 15-20 seconds of football, two attempted clearances by Aberdeen and turnover of possession twice for each team before the ball hit the net.

If the second clearance leads to an Aberdeen break and goal, there's no callibg back to VAR to check if Olusanya was offside and nor should there be. There really does need to be a line drawn in the sand somewhere. 

The West stand linesman yesterday, picked up probably the most phoned in performance I've seen from an official in a long time. He wouldn't even commit to whose shy is was for either team on several occasions. 

Lads, VAR is an unmitigated waste of money. It has been long before it arrived in our wee league. 

Those who know better than us have decided we will have it for all eternity so just be grateful. 

You will win some and lose some, but it’ll always be shite.