Rangers v Celtic - The Old Allocation Derby

5 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Shame he didn’t name (McCluskey) him. Even seen Jim Renton and Bobby Tait mention it in different after dinner speeches. So that’s 2 ex refs and an ex player but it’s probably all lies and banter. 

He never named him cos it’s a lot of shite. Any ref that it could’ve been during that era awarded Celtic a penalty against Rangers at one time or another, blowing his claim away. 

Edited by AJF

37 minutes ago, AJF said:

He never named him cos it’s a lot of shite. Any ref that it could’ve been during that era awarded Celtic a penalty against Rangers at one time or another, blowing his claim away. 

If he’d claimed that a certain ref never awarded Celtic a pen against old co then yes, it’s a false claim, but he didn’t, he stated what the ref said to him, if you weren’t within earshot how do you know it’s shite? 

Edited by Drew Brees

26 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

If he’d claimed that a certain ref never awarded Celtic a pen against old co then yes, it’s a false claim, but he didn’t, he stated what the ref said to him, if you weren’t within earshot how do you know it’s shite? 

He stated the ref told him as long as he was refereeing then Celtic wouldn’t get a penalty against Rangers. Except any referee at that time that he could’ve been referring to did in fact give a penalty for Celtic against Rangers at one point. So yeah, I’d say his claim is complete shite.

He has no credibility whatsoever if he doesn’t name them.

Edited by AJF

1 hour ago, AJF said:

He stated the ref told him as long as he was refereeing then Celtic wouldn’t get a penalty against Rangers. Except any referee at that time that he could’ve been referring to did in fact give a penalty for Celtic against Rangers at one point. So yeah, I’d say his claim is complete shite.

He has no credibility whatsoever if he doesn’t name them.

Did they?

Feel free to share those facts I’d be quite interested to see them

On 31/08/2023 at 18:37, AJF said:

Fair play to him, it’s a good thing to make up in the build up to Sunday’s game.

Surprisingly never named the ref and took him two decades to bring it up. Wonder why 🤥

https://x.com/gm1872_/status/1697291189865632035?s=46&t=m9ZjO5H-7g8jnIzYxZXYPQ

Would I be surprised if it was the case? No

Would I be surprised if it was said in the heat of the moment and the reg didn't mean it? No

Obviously Stubbs couldn't name it because he'd be sued and his defence would rely on the concept of veritas (essentially uncorroboratable). He's obviously playing to the crowd and I think if he really cared about bias in refereeing in Scotland he'd have made these allegations when he was Hibs, St Mirren, or the in-between-English-club.

I don't disbelieve him, but I question his his motives 

33 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Did they?

I suspect it's a fairly easy exercise. Unfortunately I'm not sure if Celtic have an equivalent to the London Hearts page where you can look at a players appearances match by match quickly, as I quite simply cannot be bothered digging into old firm match reports from the late 1990s...

6 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

Would I be surprised if it was the case? No

Would I be surprised if it was said in the heat of the moment and the reg didn't mean it? No

Obviously Stubbs couldn't name it because he'd be sued and his defence would rely on the concept of veritas (essentially uncorroboratable). He's obviously playing to the crowd and I think if he really cared about bias in refereeing in Scotland he'd have made these allegations when he was Hibs, St Mirren, or the in-between-English-club.

I don't disbelieve him, but I question his his motives 

He could name the referee because if it’s true, it’s true and also because whichever ref it was is no longer making a living and his personal earnings or reputation would not be maliciously impacted.   It has all the hallmarks of the incredibly unfunny “tell him he’s Pele” apocryphal anecdote.  

That said, Walter Smith used to boast to (or warn) new signings of a “Protestant superiority complex” at Rangers, of which this referee could quite conceivably have been a part of. 

Anyway, I’d make Celtic slight favourites for tomorrow because a couple of those new Rangers forwards don’t look up for much of the blood and snotters stuff, and Kyogo seems to have a field day against Rangers.  

I should also have added, if his reasons for not naming the referee is due to not wanting the referee to have a mob with burning pitchforks turning up, he simply shouldn't have mentioned it (ergo I have issues with this story)

9 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

He could name the referee because if it’s true, it’s true and also because whichever ref it was is no longer making a living and his personal earnings or reputation would not be maliciously impacted.   It has all the hallmarks of the incredibly unfunny “tell him he’s Pele” apocryphal anecdote.  

think if the referee was named he could conceivably sue for defamatory or such like and then the onus I think would then be on Stubbs to prove it. Which obviously if it was said one-on-one in the middle of a football field quarter of a century ago - would be difficult to prove! 🫠

1 hour ago, Jinky67 said:

Did they?

https://x.com/jas72boyd/status/1697887025389535600?s=46&t=m9ZjO5H-7g8jnIzYxZXYPQ

https://x.com/jas72boyd/status/1697542860478767191?s=46&t=m9ZjO5H-7g8jnIzYxZXYPQ

So from this first tweet and screenshot we can see it is undeniably McCluskey Stubbs was referring to. It also provides direct evidence of McCluskey awarding Celtic a penalty against Rangers (a game that Stubbs actually played in).

So Stubb’s claim of him saying “you’ll never get a penalty against Rangers as long as he is refereeing” is either made up bullshit on Stubb’s part or McCluskey had forgotten that he had already done the thing he said he’d never do…

Edited by AJF

1 hour ago, AJF said:

https://x.com/jas72boyd/status/1697887025389535600?s=46&t=m9ZjO5H-7g8jnIzYxZXYPQ

https://x.com/jas72boyd/status/1697542860478767191?s=46&t=m9ZjO5H-7g8jnIzYxZXYPQ

So from this first tweet and screenshot we can see it is undeniably McCluskey Stubbs was referring to. It also provides direct evidence of McCluskey awarding Celtic a penalty against Rangers (a game that Stubbs actually played in).

So Stubb’s claim of him saying “you’ll never get a penalty against Rangers as long as he is refereeing” is either made up bullshit on Stubb’s part or McCluskey had forgotten that he had already done the thing he said he’d never do…

It’s not answered in the Twitter thread. I’m sure McCluskey gave the one for Cadete that Di Canio scored in 97 however he couldn’t not give that, it was a stonewaller. 

But then I suppose it depends if it was before or after that game Stubbs claimed McCluskey said it. I haven’t watched the intervieW tbf however I do find it funny how many Rangers fans are getting so bent out of shape about it.

Edited by Jinky67

Some respect needs to be put on Alan Stubbs' name for going full baws out, laugh a minute mental since he won the cup with Hibs.

Probably realised he never thought he'd surpass that moment so resorted to comedy instead.

Like an ageing actor that just does shite comedies like 'Dirty Grandpa' 

15 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

It’s not answered in the Twitter thread. I’m sure McCluskey gave the one for Cadete that Di Canio scored in 97 however he couldn’t not give that, it was a stonewaller. 

But then I suppose it depends if it was before or after that game Stubbs claimed McCluskey said it. I haven’t watched the intervieW tbf however I do find it funny how many Rangers fans are getting so bent out of shape about it.

Stonewaller or not, it still pretty much means Stubbs was talking shite or McCluskey claiming he’d never give Celtic a penalty against Rangers was shite considering he’d already done it before.

And it’s not getting bent out of shape, it’s laughing at his clear attempt to stoke the flames of the Celtic victimhood mentality regarding referee conspiracies in the build up to tomorrow’s game in an attempt to put pressure on the officials. Pretty clear why he has come out with it this week.

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

Stonewaller or not, it still pretty much means Stubbs was talking shite or McCluskey claiming he’d never give Celtic a penalty against Rangers was shite considering he’d already done it before.

And it’s not getting bent out of shape, it’s laughing at his clear attempt to stoke the flames of the Celtic victimhood mentality regarding referee conspiracies in the build up to tomorrow’s game in an attempt to put pressure on the officials. Pretty clear why he has come out with it this week.

🤣