Hibernian's Next Permanent Manager 2023 Edition

Who will be Hibernian's Next Permanent Manager?  

315 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

He has 3 years left on his contract and is part way throu what he sees as a project. Taking into account the free reign he has under Billy Bowie I doubt he'll give that up at present.

Derek McInnes: "I've known for a while that Kilmarnock is the place that I wanted to commit my future to, so I'm really pleased that the extension has now been agreed. The club has come a long way since we joined forces in January and I'm looking forward to the next stage."

I actually agree with you but not sure a quote from a contract extension announcement is worth much…

2 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Would be surprised.

A lad at my work didn't renew his season ticket after we finished second because the football was so grim. He was driving in every weekend from Alford though.

I find that baffling tbh. Very strange behaviour and I’d be surprised if the real reason was different. 

44 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I actually agree with you but not sure a quote from a contract extension announcement is worth much…

I find that baffling tbh. Very strange behaviour and I’d be surprised if the real reason was different. 

Season ticket for him and kids came in around £600, then the associated costs with travel and food etc. If you're really not enjoying it then I don't blame him.

Wins or losses put us up and down but it's still a form.of entertainment.

2 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Season ticket for him and kids came in around £600, then the associated costs with travel and food etc. If you're really not enjoying it then I don't blame him.

Wins or losses put us up and down but it's still a form.of entertainment.

Well that’s all fair enough but it’s not ‘lost interest in football completely because of Derek mcinnes at Aberdeen’. 

That’s melodramatic rubbish. If you can’t justify the cost vs how much you enjoy it then absolutely, but you can’t tell me there are people who absolutely loved it up to 2013 and then it fell off a cliff after that. 

No way Hibs should consider appointing Stephen Robinson. He got sacked by Motherwell because he was so useless. A wee diddy team like St Mirren is his level. He'd be incapable of re-envigourating a sleeping giant like Hibs to the heights they ought to be achieving. 

25 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

That’s melodramatic rubbish. If you can’t justify the cost vs how much you enjoy it then absolutely, but you can’t tell me there are people who absolutely loved it up to 2013 and then it fell off a cliff after that. 

I'm not so sure. I used to love the game but VAR fucked it for me. I still go occasionally but whereas only mates socials would stop me even knowing g the windy cleaner is on his round and I owe him £5 stops me now.

I could see McInnes being g a window cleaner.

1 minute ago, Artemis said:

So, would you be quite happy for him to leave and for Queens to get in a manager who is better at defensive coaching? Or do you want to keep Bartley in order to prevent Hibs from recruiting an inexperienced, defensively incompetent manager?

Neither of those, of course.

I like Bartley, I think he's a potentially good manager in the making.  He's seen QOS as a fairly low risk but promising vehicle in which to start to build his managerial CV, and of course it works equally well also for QOS who should benefit should he prove to match his apparent potential - a risk for both parties that could be a win-win in the end.  I'd like to think that he gets a full season at Palmerston to see what he can do with the first squad that he himself has built - but he faces tough competition this season in Accies and a (finally ...?) resurgent Falkirk.

I've no interest in who Hibs appoint (apart from the possibility it might be Bartley).  Looking at it objectively from a Hibs point of view, I just think it would be a helluva risk (for both Hibs and Bartley) to take on what would be a long shot on Bartley after having only a small number of tier 3 games under his belt.  I do see the attraction to Hibs fans as he was popular on the pitch for them and he's one cool guy in front of the cameras - but to throw the guy into the deep end straight away in the heat of battle in the high (potentially) end of the top tier and in the derbies ... I'd say that's a risk too far.

9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

These sound like the same sort of people who have chased manager after manager out of the door at Hibs because they have ideas above their station about what the club should be achieving and how they should be doing so.

Imagine trying to logically justify the idea that after watching your club be almost exclusively shite for 20 years, with only a brief uptick under Jimmy Calderwood, hardly the most inspiring manager himself, you would be driven away by actually finally winning a trophy, reaching lots of cup semis and finals, finishing 2nd in the league numerous times and various decent European runs.

I can understand fans getting fed up by the end, but imagine claiming with a straight face that losing 9-0 to Celtic was fine, but not managing to topple their invincible side at Hampden was the final straw.

I suppose the difference between McGhee and other failures is McInnes was there for 8 years whereas the rest were there for a lot shorter periods.

The reasoning for it was nothing other than boredom, they found the style of football so utterly boring they no longer watch the Scottish league, the national team or anyone football at all really, it just completely sucked away their enthusiasm.

13 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Neither of those, of course.

I like Bartley, I think he's a potentially good manager in the making.  He's seen QOS as a fairly low risk but promising vehicle in which to start to build his managerial CV, and of course it works equally well also for QOS who should benefit should he prove to match his apparent potential - a risk for both parties that could be a win-win in the end.  I'd like to think that he gets a full season at Palmerston to see what he can do with the first squad that he himself has built - but he faces tough competition this season in Accies and a (finally ...?) resurgent Falkirk.

I've no interest in who Hibs appoint (apart from the possibility it might be Bartley).  Looking at it objectively from a Hibs point of view, I just think it would be a helluva risk (for both Hibs and Bartley) to take on what would be a long shot on Bartley after having only a small number of tier 3 games under his belt.  I do see the attraction to Hibs fans as he was popular on the pitch for them and he's one cool guy in front of the cameras - but to throw the guy into the deep end straight away in the heat of battle in the high (potentially) end of the top tier and in the derbies ... I'd say that's a risk too far.

Yeah it's probably a risk too far to actually be in serious consideration and I'd imagine he may himself want to continue working at Queens to see if he can meet the objectives he's set himself.

That said I'm just really keen that the next Hibs manager is someone who knows the squad we've got. That could be any manager in the Scottish top flight I suppose, but equally if it were a choice between Bartley and someone coming from outside the Scottish game I'd just prefer to plump for someone who has an idea of the scenario as it exists right now rather than someone who'll need time to get up to speed.

Would be harsh to say Johnson never learned what he had on his hands at Hibs but at times it felt like he'd lucked into the right combination as a couple of weeks later he'd change it for no reason. Granted other managers from out with the leagues would hopefully be more competent but knowledge of the existing squad is one of the highest priorities for me and I suspect that despite being out of the club for years Marvin may still have that.

Anyway perhaps both rude and inconsequential of me to cast too much hope of securing a manager just in the door for yourselves, hope he does well! 

19 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Someone apparently ITK told me Johnson got the job because he bamboozled the Hibs board with a PowerPoint presentation

Gary Caldwell's got it if he wants it, then.

In all seriousness, predicting what Hibs will do in this situation seems futile: how many people saw Johnson or Maloney coming? None of the in work managers at other Premiership clubs seem likely for various reasons and Hibs just don't strike you as a club who are going to look to the Championship or below, even though everyone there is more qualified for it than a left-field appointment like Maloney was. The prior Hibs connection might get Murray or Bartley a look, but neither would be in with a shout of a job of that size without that history with the club.

McInnes is the obvious one for me tbh, although I think with the DoF model, the shambles the club are in and how things are going at Killie I doubt he'd come. 

Honestly don't really give a shit if the football is exciting or not, Hibs essentially need someone who can build a solid, strong team which performs or slightly outperforms its budget every year, otherwise we're in danger of another long term decline. 3-4 years in you maybe look to build on that from a position of strength and stability with a new, more "forward-thinking" manager