Hibernian's Next Permanent Manager 2023 Edition

Who will be Hibernian's Next Permanent Manager?  

315 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I wouldn't be opposed to giving Martindale the gig really, think he's earned the opportunity if it's one he'd want. The amount of bloody noses he and Livi have given us over the years you'd like to think he knows what's wrong with us, but equally that might turn him off - especially given he'd likely come in outside the transfer window.

Often see when a manager gets the sack that we 'have to get the next one right'. I'm not so sure it's that perilous, clubs rise and fall fairly fluidly. We were in the same position when we appointed Johnson and while results have been shit of late and we've maybe not done as well as we could have and made some mistakes with the squad along the way I'm still reasonably confident that the squad is in a decent enough place to thrive with the right management, and ideally a defensive midfielder. 

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

That's cute that we're occupying your thoughts so much.

I genuinely didn't even realise Dundee were even playing yesterday until I watched the highlights last night.

Don't kid yourself. Apart from how St Mirren play the next biggest thing in your lots thoughts is whether Carson has dropped a stinker or not.

9 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

He stays in the West End.

I'd be stunned if he wasn't interested. I've often wondered if his weekly budget comments were a way of him working his ticket. His record in keeping us in the top flight is outstanding, no matter how you look at it.

Whether Hibs would want him is a matter for them.

I thought he was basically begging Livi to sack him given his comments in recent months. I get the impression that he thinks he has taken you as far as you can possibly go and he's ready for a new challenge, should it be bigger than what he has currently. 

Hibs could do much, much worse than Martindale. 

10 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

Don't kid yourself. Apart from how St Mirren play the next biggest thing in your lots thoughts is whether Carson has dropped a stinker or not.

Is it?

I think most St. Mirren fans know Carson well enough to know that dropping a stinker isn't really something he'll do often, so you're just making that up.

Spitting his dummy is far more likely.

Martindale is a no-go and would not be anything like the success anywhere else. Not because he's not a good manager, he definitely is but he simply wouldn't be given the freedom to permeate a club from top to bottom in the way that he's been allowed to do at Livingston.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Martindale is a no-go and would not be anything like the success anywhere else. Not because he's not a good manager, he definitely is but he simply wouldn't be given the freedom to permeate a club from top to bottom in the way that he's been allowed to do at Livingston.

I would tend to agree with this. No coincidence how many managers Hibs have been through with little success.

Edited by Pens_Dark

3 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

I would tend to agree with this. No coincidence how many managers Hibs have been through with little success.

He's an excellent manager without a doubt. Folk forget though just what he built himself into when he landed the manager's job. He was the driving force behind Hopkins, he was the guy who was always credited as the mastermind behind Livi's remarkable comeback to the top level of Scottish football when they looked like they'd be another team floating between lower leagues forever.

I don't think there is another club in Scotland who would be as devastated from the inside out at losing their manager than Livi would be and I think DM would need to be very careful with where he went next. He, for me is the life and soul of Livingston FC and to be a success, he'd need to be the life and soul of Hibs, which unless they are willing to give him 3 or 4 years to become, simply will not happen.

35 minutes ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

I wouldn't be opposed to giving Martindale the gig really, think he's earned the opportunity if it's one he'd want. The amount of bloody noses he and Livi have given us over the years you'd like to think he knows what's wrong with us, but equally that might turn him off - especially given he'd likely come in outside the transfer window.

Often see when a manager gets the sack that we 'have to get the next one right'. I'm not so sure it's that perilous, clubs rise and fall fairly fluidly. We were in the same position when we appointed Johnson and while results have been shit of late and we've maybe not done as well as we could have and made some mistakes with the squad along the way I'm still reasonably confident that the squad is in a decent enough place to thrive with the right management, and ideally a defensive midfielder. 

Not with that defence it isn't... 

6 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

He has 3 years left on his contract and is part way throu what he sees as a project. Taking into account the free reign he has under Billy Bowie I doubt he'll give that up at present.

Derek McInnes: "I've known for a while that Kilmarnock is the place that I wanted to commit my future to, so I'm really pleased that the extension has now been agreed. The club has come a long way since we joined forces in January and I'm looking forward to the next stage."

£££££££. 

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Maybe he’s got more strings to his bow but I don’t see hibs fans loving the martindale style if it’s anything like livi. 

Or the fact he's a sticky loving convicted drug dealer.  (I'm all for second chances but many of the support would be less unforgiving). 

2 hours ago, Fifespud said:

If I was a Hibee it would be Robinson for me - guy knows Scottish football and has managed to get 2 Scottish Prem clubs playing above their stations.

As it is I'm a Dundee fan but it's still Robinson for me, mostly because the seething mess that the Midden fans would become would be HIGHLY amusing.

Don't get me wrong I really liked and still like Robbo, but that's just not true. Under him we finished 9th, 7th, 8th, 3rd, then we were 11th when he resigned.

The 5 finishes before that were 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 11th (🤪😬) and 5th.

Since then we've had a 5th, 7th, and currently joint top (I know, I know, we're only 3 games in but it won't last long so let me enjoy nice things)

19 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

£££££££. 

Rangers & Sunderland couldn't tempt him with ££££'s. No reason to suggest Hibs will do it either.

He's got job security at Killie for the guts of the next 3 years, possibly even beyond, he won't get that at Hibs, from your chairman down the demand will be instant success or on your way.

43 minutes ago, Al B said:

Don't get me wrong I really liked and still like Robbo, but that's just not true. Under him we finished 9th, 7th, 8th, 3rd, then we were 11th when he resigned.

The 5 finishes before that were 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 11th (🤪😬) and 5th.

Since then we've had a 5th, 7th, and currently joint top (I know, I know, we're only 3 games in but it won't last long so let me enjoy nice things)

Aye, that 3rd* place was in the season the league was curtailed with 8 games to go as well. We'd confirmed Top 6 but finishing 3rd was by no means a given especially as we'd sold Jimmy Scott on deadline day and Chris Long had picked up an injury.

I'm generally of the view that, all things considered, Robinson is in the conversation for our best manager since McLean (taking into account budget made available, length of time at the club, income from player trading etc) but definitely agree that he hardly had us playing 'above our station' given that since 2000 we've had 11 Top 6 finishes.

Fwiw: our average league placing in our 38 top flight seasons so far is 6.76. Robinson's average in the 4 seasons before he resigned was 6.75.

Edited by capt_oats

11 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Or the fact he's a sticky loving convicted drug dealer.  (I'm all for second chances but many of the support would be less unforgiving). 

I can accept the ex drug dealer bit, but not the sticky bun bit, no sirree..................

12 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Rangers & Sunderland couldn't tempt him with ££££'s. No reason to suggest Hibs will do it either.

He's got job security at Killie for the guts of the next 3 years, possibly even beyond, he won't get that at Hibs, from your chairman down the demand will be instant success or on your way.

There was a bit more to it than that.

22 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Agreed

25 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Both of them basket cases with unrealistic expectations and had Aberdeen up the top of the league and Europe most years.  He has a taste for that and would he achieve that with Kilmarnock? (no offence).   There's so much potential at Hibs to play at the level he had with Aberdeen, not sure why he would be happy with a mid/bottom of the table club for the next few years, surely he must have some ambition left to manage at a higher level?