Livi v St Mirren

14 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

image.png.a13a99848be663f2a807e0638b2cbc7a.png

This game? You're talking nonsense, we didn't put a plastic pitch in until we got promoted.

Did Hardie play a season in the prem for you? I've got this image of him absolute rag dolling Gary McKenzie and Jack Baird, so I'm now thinking it must have been a game in the first season up. Or a figment of my imagination....

5 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Edited due to being wrong 😀

By Christ in that case then your grass pitch was worse than your plastic one. It was horrendous. 

In all honesty, it was. It was so prone to flooding, freezing, the grass dying. I know folk just think most Livi fans are being funny when they say the plastic pitch is actually better than the grass was but it's the truth. 

There's parts of the pitch that get zero sunlight for about 4-5 months a year and it just become a pit of mud at that point

3 minutes ago, GAD said:

Did Hardie play a season in the prem for you? I've got this image of him absolute rag dolling Gary McKenzie and Jack Baird, so I'm now thinking it must have been a game in the first season up. Or a figment of my imagination....

Yep, he got injured in the final game before the playoffs. Came back on loan to us for our first season back up once he was back and fit again. 7 in 13 starts, 8 sub appearances - in the top flight that is actually a great record looking back.

It'll be this game
image.png.46b3b7bb2d74d5a0c69d6dc42dc7d89b.png

Edited by ATLIS

30 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

In all honesty, it was. It was so prone to flooding, freezing, the grass dying. I know folk just think most Livi fans are being funny when they say the plastic pitch is actually better than the grass was but it's the truth. 

There's parts of the pitch that get zero sunlight for about 4-5 months a year and it just become a pit of mud at that point

Excuses excuses. Can ye no just move the sun?

4 hours ago, Durnford said:

Didn't we have a game against St. Mirren a few years back at home where Halkett scored at both ends; St Mirren had a player sent off and yet went on to win 2-1?

Or maybe I dreamed it?

Last season we brought Anderson on and he made a big impact from the bench, got a player red carded for a hand ball stopping his shot towards goal,  winning us a penalty, Kelly missed the pen though, then Anderson scored an equaliser, but 10 man St Mirren done us with a last minute winner.

4 hours ago, SS77 said:

Playing on a plastic pitch shouldn’t be an issue for teams in the Premiership IMO. Every team trains on astro in the lead up to games v Killie and Livi so they’ve got plenty time to adjust to the way the ball moves around on the pitch.

I’d take a point in this one. Livi are a good side and 8 points from our first 4 league games would be a tremendous start to the season. 

Yeah not as if plastic pitches in the top flight is a new thing, we're on our 6th season and both Accies and Killie were playing on plastic long before we got one.  Yet here we are, still seeing the same old comments on match threads, like this is the first season it has been in the top flight.

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:

If artificial pitches were so dangerous, wouldn't Livi and Killie have the worst injury records in the league? As it stands we have 1 injury that was picked up in the gym. 

It's strange really, we've had older players with an injury history like Parkes playing on our pitch without any problem, and players coming back from an injury playing on it, yet away managers keep bringing this up, that they wont risk their players with similar situations playing on it.

I'll bet there would be no way Devlin would've played on it when he was with Hibs, yet here he is, after some serious injuries, playing on it with Livi, and having no adverse reaction.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

31 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Last season we brought Anderson on and he made a big impact from the bench, got a player red carded for a hand ball stopping his shot towards goal,  winning us a penalty, Kelly missed the pen though, then Anderson scored an equaliser, but 10 man St Mirren done us with a last minute winner.

Yeah not as if plastic pitches in the top flight is a new thing, we're on our 6th season and both Accies and Killie were playing on plastic long before we got one.  Yet here we are, still seeing the same old comments on match threads, like this is the first season it has been in the top flight.

It's strange really, we've had older players with an injury history like Parkes playing on our pitch without any problem, and players coming back from an injury playing on it, yet away managers keep bringing this up, that they wont risk their players with similar situations playing on it.

I'll bet there would be no way Devlin would've played on it when he was with Hibs, yet here he is, after some serious injuries, playing on it with Livi, and having no adverse reaction.

Plastic pitches when debated a few years ago wrote clubs can save £100,000 a year so I can't see them being removed just yet. We have one at the training complex so at least the players will be familiar with them. Personally I'm not in favour of a top league using them. Untill there is a change to the rules they will exist. On the game I'm going for a 1-2 Saints win. 

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

No they weren't. VAR is shit and is operated by idiots. You're just pretending otherwise because you got what you wanted on this occasion.

I agree, VAR (as it’s currently implemented in Scotland) is shit but we can’t really complain about Sunday. I “know” the pen was a double hit, you “know” it, even Aberdeen supporters “know” it.  Having watched every available angle dozens of times, I don’t think VAR could irrefutably say the referee had made a clear and obvious mistake. It was Beaton’s fault, not VAR’s. 
If anything, we got away with the later penalty shout. 

5 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

No they weren't. VAR is shit and is operated by idiots. You're just pretending otherwise because you got what you wanted on this occasion.

I’m not really a fan of VAR either and have been baffled by it a few times. Certainly not pretending anything, if my team losses you take it on the chin, let’s face it that happens plenty.

VAR cleared up all the tight and important calls on Sunday though, if you can’t see that then that’s your perogative. 

2 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

I agree, VAR (as it’s currently implemented in Scotland) is shit but we can’t really complain about Sunday. I “know” the pen was a double hit, you “know” it, even Aberdeen supporters “know” it.  Having watched every available angle dozens of times, I don’t think VAR could irrefutably say the referee had made a clear and obvious mistake. It was Beaton’s fault, not VAR’s. 

The later penalty shout should never be given as a penalty, the defender did nothing wrong. Was a desperation shout by Aberdeen.

12 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Pitiful to see Martindale on the news there actively hawking Nouble ahead of the window closing. Reminding clubs he was available and saying the lack of offers was "snobbery". Surely Livi fans can't be pleased at that ?

Honestly the whole thing started with his agency around the same time of the season prior ending.

They posted about tweet of our nowhere about 'assisting Joel in his upcoming summer transfer'. Based on that I'd imagine there's some push on the player's side but he's got one year left on his deal, there's never going to be a better time to cash in on him. If we get 600k+ for him, then we've done well. If not then we've got a player with us to help us up the league for this season at least.

23 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Pitiful to see Martindale on the news there actively hawking Nouble ahead of the window closing. Reminding clubs he was available and saying the lack of offers was "snobbery". Surely Livi fans can't be pleased at that ?

23 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Maybe they need or want the money more than the player.

31 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

There may have been some suitors but the minute Martindale mentioned a million quid, they probably laughed and moved on. They might have got a fifth of that.

4 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

I what way was it Beaton's fault and not the VAR 's fault?

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

53 minutes ago, tam the bud said:

Maybe they need or want the money more than the player.

Yep, we're making a few quid from the semi final against Sevco at Ibrox, which has massively helped our finances, but Nouble being sold would pretty much clear our reported losses. On the Hibs performance i'd be happy to keep him till the January window and take what we can get for him then, but if he does get a decent offer before this window closes it'll help the club out of a hole. 

44 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

There may have been some suitors but the minute Martindale mentioned a million quid, they probably laughed and moved on. They might have got a fifth of that.

Up till Jan he was well on course for that kind of fee, but his form dropped a good bit in the 2nd half of the season, and there's no danger anyone is coming in with that sort of offer. I think we'd jump at 350-400 thousand, but nobody has come in with a firm offer. It'll be a lot less than that in Jan, knowing they could get him on a free transfer in the Summer though.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

25 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Up till Jan he was well on course for that kind of fee, but his form dropped a good bit in the 2nd half of the season, and there's no danger anyone is coming in with that sort of offer. I think we'd jump at 350-400 thousand, but nobody has come in with a firm offer. It'll be a lot less than that in Jan, knowing they could get him on a free transfer in the Summer though.

I just don't buy that. You don't go from clubs looking to splash a million to zero offers on the back of a dip in form. Also, if Martindale is calling for a million, you know the club would accept a fair bit less.

The truth is that clubs like ours are very, very unlikely to command that sort of money unless there is a bidding war between a few teams.

We're unlikely to stand in the way if guys are being offered multiple times their salary to go to England's League 1 / Championship (or wherever). That's why we accepted £300k for an internationalist that played at the World Cup.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Nouble leaves now for a fee, in January for a reduced fee, or at the season end for nothing at all. The formation Martindale decided upon for this season was chosen at least partly to make sure Nouble leaving wouldn't unravel things. There's a player ready to take Nouble's place in the team, Stephen Kelly, on the left of the 2 in the 3-4-2-1. The club still has a debt which the current board inherited and clearing that is a priority. As fans, we realise that.

I haven't read Martindale's comments this time but the "snobbery" thing makes sense. Often a player's assumed pedigree comes into how they're viewed, their career history. Nouble doesn't have that. He played exclusively non-league football in England until the age of 25. Martindale really did pluck him out of obscurity. Since then he's only played a season and a half in the Scottish top tier for the lowest profile club in that league. There will be an element of him being overlooked solely due to those background factors.

24 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I just don't buy that. You don't go from clubs looking to splash a million to zero offers on the back of a dip in form. Also, if Martindale is calling for a million, you know the club would accept a fair bit less.

The truth is that clubs like ours are very, very unlikely to command that sort of money unless there is a bidding war between a few teams.

We're unlikely to stand in the way if guys are being offered multiple times their salary to go to England's League 1 / Championship (or wherever). That's why we accepted £300k for an internationalist that played at the World Cup.

I think Dykes going for over 2m has somewhat tainted his outlook on transfers. Nouble's impact isn't as much as Dykes' was but it's not too far off of it. He's just relating the fees in his head that way I assume. IMO the correct price for Nouble is 500-600k, probably what we'd accept too with a sell on %