Greatest Scottish Bands

Chippyminton

Interested in everyone's opinion. Here's mine, in no particular order;

1 The Sensational Alex Harvey Band. My first-ever gig, at the Portland Building at Nottingham University just after they'd released 'The Impossible Dream', and whilst I was still foolishly resident in England. It had a profound effect on me which remains to this day. The spectacle, the volume, the ...... everything. And the memory of Zal Cleminson leering straight at me is something I'll remember forever.

2 Nazareth Difficult to categorise - but Dan McCafferty's vocals and Manny Charlton's sublime guitar playing were things of pure magic. My first 'proper' record player was a Fidelity 'Stereo Nine', bought for me by my Dad from Comet after much badgering. I'd re-create the gig experience by lying on the floor with one speaker each side of my head blasting 'Razamanaz' into my skull. Excellent. EDIT = I'd still class their version of Joni Mitchell's 'This Flight Tonight' as one of the all-time greatest cover versions. If you're going to do a cover - make it 100% your own. They did. Totally.

3 Big Country I was working for SSE at the time as a front-of-house sound engineer - SSE are a PA hire company who were small back then (think a double garage full of flightcases and black boxes) - but who are now huge. They do Download, Rammstein, and pretty much everything else on a massive scale. A call came in one afternoon from the manager of an unknown band playing that night at Retford Porterhouse near Nottingham. Their PA company had let them down. Could we do anything? Long story short - a system was hastily assembled and thrown into a truck. We got there 45 minutes before showtime and threw the system together. The band came onstage - and by the end of the first song, I knew they were going to be massive. What subsequently happened to Stuart Adamson was an utter tragedy.

4 The Proclaimers A nerdy duo who had the guts to sing great songs in a proper Scottish accent. 'We're Scots and this is how we speak - either deal with it of f**k off'. Respect is due just for that. Plus '500 miles' is my best (and only) karaoke effort.

Anyone who includes Simple MInds will be shot.

Edited by Chippyminton

Fabulous shout-outs above. Runrig, anyone?

Also  - anyone remember a band called Cafe Jacques? I remember seeing them supporting Budgie (or was it UFO ??) way back - and I bought their album the next day. Very good. Different - but very good.

Edited by Chippyminton

I’ll die on the hill for arguing that Simple Minds ‘Theme For Great Cities’ is a great instrumental.

Del Amitri, Texas, Gun, Deacon Blue… all have some great songs. Same goes for The Skids and Big Country.

Danny Wilson ‘Mary’s Prayer’, great song.

Could go on. 😎

9 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I’ll die on the hill for arguing that Simple Minds ‘Theme For Great Cities’ is a great instrumental.

Del Amitri, Texas, Gun, Deacon Blue… all have some great songs. Same goes for The Skids and Big Country.

Danny Wilson ‘Mary’s Prayer’, great song.

Could go on. 😎

Can't argue with any of that TBH. Plus - Deacon Blue's production was always incredible (listen to it on a really good hi-fi if you ever get the chance) and their songs were great as you say. 'Chocolate Girl' and 'Dignity' are still two of my favourites. The Skids - Stuart Adamson's original pre-Big Country band obviously. What a talent.

Edited by Chippyminton

In rough chronological order, Scottish band which I still listen to a lot:

Sleaz Band (rock band with a sense of humour, supposted Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, T-Rex and many others: they were great live)
JSD Band (mostly electric folk, well regarded by the likes of John Peel and Bob Harris, chosen by David Bowie as support on the Ziggy Stardust tour)
The Incredible String Band (weird folk songs and jigs, fantastic stuff)
SAHB ( saw them live a few times, and as @Chippyminton suggests, they delighted in putting the wind up audiences and at times antagonising them)
Average White Band (probably the band I saw most in the 'seventies)
Orange Juice (even if 'Rip it Up' was the only song they'd ever released, they'd be in my top ten)
The Associates (what a voice Billy MacKenzie had)
Cocteau Twins (nonsense lyrics, layered, delicate music over strong percusion: fantastic and original)
Jesus and Mary Chain (best listened to while drunk)
The Twilight Sad (loud, loud, loud live, upsetting music, Scottish accented vocals)

21 minutes ago, Bob in Denny said:

SAHB...no contest...

Rokotto..Dundee's finest soul 

Slik.. before they sold out

Nazareth...

AWB...

giving my age away

and controversial(?), the Bay City Rollers...singalong pop music at its finest...

Only a fellow Ton supporter could have included the Rollers. They almost went on my list - but I decided against it for fear of ridicule. But 10k screaming fit young lassies at every show? Jeebus. Also not afraid to wear tartan and show pride in their country. Plus great sympathy at how they soild a zillion records but ended up penniless after (allegedly) being ripped off by Tam Paton.

I'll allow it.

Edited by Chippyminton

Felt like sticking for bands just from more recent times (mostly)

Frightened Rabbit

Without a doubt the best Scottish band of the 21st century, obviously Scott Hutchison is sadly no longer with us, but the lyrics in so many of his songs mean so much. Incredible band, still kicking myself that I knocked back the chance to see them live a few years back.

We Were Promised Jetpacks

Only started really listening to them a couple of years ago and quickly became one of my favourite bands. So many amazing tracks, saw them live not too long ago as a support act and they were top notch. Thunder and Lightening is an incredible track, as is Quite Little Voices but This Is My House is a personal favourite

Idlewild

The Remote Part is a brilliant album, and it really feels they inspired a lot of the artists (including FR and WWPJ). Still think it's class that they were on one of the very early FIFA games

Young Fathers

Get Up, Toy, I Heard all brilliant, brilliant tracks. Every time they come out with a new album, they somehow take it to the next level. Heavy Heavy is probably in the top three albums I've listened to in the past year.

Biffy Clyro

Only Revolutions was an great album. Kind of annoyed that Many of Horror got turned into the X Factor song for Matt Cardle. Still class band.

Niteworks

A bit left-field, but the Gaelic electronica/techno/folk (I really don't know what you would call it) is excellent, and the most recent album was top notch stuff and had a few songs in Scots and English. If you haven't listened to them I would highly recommend, great band.

Just now, RawB93 said:

Never heard of Rokotto before but turns out I've met the drummer whilst off my face in a nightclub toilet.

LOL 😀 I''m sure we've all got a similar story to tell. I have, but I'm keeping quiet about it. It involved a well-known and stunningly attractive TV presenter.

She's still not returning my phone calls, the utter tart.

3 minutes ago, Ray Patterson said:

Felt like sticking for bands just from more recent times (mostly)

Frightened Rabbit

Without a doubt the best Scottish band of the 21st century, obviously Scott Hutchison is sadly no longer with us, but the lyrics in so many of his songs mean so much. Incredible band, still kicking myself that I knocked back the chance to see them live a few years back.

We Were Promised Jetpacks

Only started really listening to them a couple of years ago and quickly became one of my favourite bands. So many amazing tracks, saw them live not too long ago as a support act and they were top notch. Thunder and Lightening is an incredible track, as is Quite Little Voices but This Is My House is a personal favourite

Idlewild

The Remote Part is a brilliant album, and it really feels they inspired a lot of the artists (including FR and WWPJ). Still think it's class that they were on one of the very early FIFA games

Young Fathers

Get Up, Toy, I Heard all brilliant, brilliant tracks. Every time they come out with a new album, they somehow take it to the next level. Heavy Heavy is probably in the top three albums I've listened to in the past year.

Biffy Clyro

Only Revolutions was an great album. Kind of annoyed that Many of Horror got turned into the X Factor song for Matt Cardle. Still class band.

Niteworks

A bit left-field, but the Gaelic electronica/techno/folk (I really don't know what you would call it) is excellent, and the most recent album was top notch stuff and had a few songs in Scots and English. If you haven't listened to them I would highly recommend, great band.

This post ^^^^^^^^^ is exactly what I'd hoped for when I started this thread. So much quality and unknown (to me) music to listen to and maybe enjoy. Cheers for that. Will be checking out all of the above. I have to say that 'We Were Promised Jetpacks' (100% unknown to me) has to be one of the greatest band names ever. What kind of genius comes up with something like that?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

29 minutes ago, Chippyminton said:

Only a fellow Ton supporter could have included the Rollers. They almost went on my list - but I decided against it for fear of ridicule. But 10k screaming fit young lassies at every show? Jeebus. Also not afraid to wear tartan and show pride in their country. Plus great sympathy at how they soild a zillion records but ended up penniless after (allegedly) being ripped off by Tam Paton.

I'll allow it.

The most successful Scottish band ever...no one has ever come close..

I saw an earlier line up at Cragburn I'm sure in the early 70s..

I'm not bothered to admit I have a Rollers playlist.....

and it is played often. Mrs BID is a big fan too....