Greatest Scottish Bands

Chippyminton

22 hours ago, Chippyminton said:

This post ^^^^^^^^^ is exactly what I'd hoped for when I started this thread. So much quality and unknown (to me) music to listen to and maybe enjoy. Cheers for that. Will be checking out all of the above. I have to say that 'We Were Promised Jetpacks' (100% unknown to me) has to be one of the greatest band names ever. What kind of genius comes up with something like that?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

In an alternate universe they're called Ships With Holes Will Sink and WWPJ is the name of this song:

A few that haven’t been mentioned so far:

Slide - still think Texas should have been supporting them rather than the other way round when they released their debut albums

Altered Images - some terrific 80s pop singles

The Bluebells - as above

Hipsway - again as above

Win - lager advert music

Aztec Camera - Roddy Frame is a genius

Glasvegas - love the first album but never really hit those heights again

The Waterboys - Mike Scott is another genius

Blues N Trouble - if you like blues worth a listen. Perennial support band in the Eighties

Kevin McDermott Orchestra - under-rated

Thrum - could have been big but weren’t

Wild Horses - 75% Scottish initially so am counting them. Jimmy McCulloch,  Jimmy Bain and Brian Robertson the main men

Jimmy Barnes - Glasgow born so should count in the same way that 3/5ths of AC/DC plus 50% of their producers Vanda and Young were born in Scotland

On 07/09/2023 at 22:54, RawB93 said:

Never heard of Rokotto before but turns out I've met the drummer whilst off my face in a nightclub toilet.

I've not seen Howie for a few years. Is he still strutting around Dundee?

Anyway, here's a few that I like...

Scars

Orange Juice/Edwyn Collins.

Aztec Camera

Franz Ferdinand

47 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Jimmy Barnes - Glasgow born so should count in the same way that 3/5ths of AC/DC plus 50% of their producers Vanda and Young were born in Scotland

If you’re adding Australian bands then add 1/5th of Men At Work as Colin Hay was originally from Salcoats. Even earlier 1/5th of The Easybeats as that’s where Vanda and Young started. Marcus Hook Roll Band was a Vanda/Young project pre- AC/DC that was 4/9th born in Scotland as it had George, Malcolm, Angus and their older brother Alex Young. 50% of Flash and the Pan as that was Vanda and Young again.

14 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I've not seen Howie for a few years. Is he still strutting around Dundee?

It’s probably going back about a decade since I last saw him but used to be a regular at the reading rooms at any funk/soul nights. 

Del Amitri, career transcending 4 decades, Justin Currie one of the most underrated lyricists and self deprecating humans on the planet. Also when the video of them performing on Letterman when they first broke America and Justin seemingly deciding (or poorly being advised) to dance on tv is one of my favourite Scottish music videos of all time. 

The breadth of Scottish musical knowledge on here is mindblowing. As previously said - I'm gradually listening to at least 2/3/4 tracks from all the bands which have been listed, suggested, and recommended. Since we're all different, some of it floats my boat, some of it doesn't - but I can hear and see the genuine merit in all of these bands. The real eye-opener for me has been the lists containing bands like The Waterboys, Del Amitri, Altered Images, Orange Juice, Franz Ferdinand, AWB, Gun, Aztec Camera and the rest - the semi-household names whose songs I know and love - but had pretty much forgotten were Scottish. I've learned so much, and I'm really glad I started this thread. Thanks again to all who have contributed.

As an aside, if we're splitting bands into fractions because of individual Scottish member inclusion, then Thin Lizzy were 1/4 Scottish when Brian Robertson was their guitarist (always preferred his rawness over Gary Moore tbh) and Fish from Marillion to name just two. There must be hundred of others.

Best wishes to everyone.

10 minutes ago, Chippyminton said:

The breadth of Scottish musical knowledge on here is mindblowing. As previously said - I'm gradually listening to at least 2/3/4 tracks from all the bands which have been listed, suggested, and recommended. Since we're all different, some of it floats my boat, some of it doesn't - but I can hear and see the genuine merit in all of these bands. The real eye-opener for me has been the lists containing bands like The Waterboys, Del Amitri, Altered Images, Orange Juice, Franz Ferdinand, AWB, Gun, Aztec Camera and the rest - the semi-household names whose songs I know and love - but had pretty much forgotten were Scottish. I've learned so much, and I'm really glad I started this thread. Thanks again to all who have contributed.

As an aside, if we're splitting bands into fractions because of individual Scottish member inclusion, then Thin Lizzy were 1/4 Scottish when Brian Robertson was their guitarist (always preferred his rawness over Gary Moore tbh) and Fish from Marillion to name just two. There must be hundred of others.

Best wishes to everyone.

Part Scottish bands would include Ultravox and Talking Heads...

Some great bands mentioned, SAHB, Idlewild, Silencers and Nazareth are a few of my regular listeners', however I have to disagree with the OP, Simple Minds are just fucking brilliant, have seen them live plenty of times and cannot wait for March next year to see them again.

Edited by keyser_soze

Certainly not claiming this band is one of the greatest Scottish bands. However, this is an alternative take and they're doing very well in the metal scene right now and could be up there in the metal genre.

Bleed From Within, relieved praise from Corey Taylor and if you enjoy heavy music/metal and don't know them then I'd recommend giving them a listen. I'd personally start with Levitate. 

On 09/09/2023 at 00:15, Frosty said:

Working Class Man is an excellent song, but I didn't realise until very recently he had been turned into meme with this song. The meme bit starts at 2:15

On 09/09/2023 at 19:03, Chippyminton said:

Best wishes to everyone.

Midge Ure as well for a spell.

Midge Ure and Phil Lynott live in Japan 1979 | Thin lizzy, Phil, Rock ...