Greatest Scottish Bands

Chippyminton

Second JAMC and think their former drummers band deserved a mention. Ok, the output has been patchy and he's a bell end but the high points are truly excellent. 

Whoever's mentioned or endorsed Texas needs to re-evaluate their life. 

Mentions for The Cocteaus, Shamen and some stuff by the Fannies. 

Absolutely stunned that it’s taken this far in for someone to mention Tide Lines. 3 fantastic albums, a distinct voiced singer and so many catchy hooks in songs.

Their early music, plus my love of Runrig, made me discover so many Scottish Folk Rock bands and the standouts of that genre are Skerryvore, Peat & Diesel, Skippinish and Torridon for me.

Commercially, has to be Biffy, and as has been said, how Idlewild never made it to the big time (take away their latest album) is beyond me.

The Proclaimers will also be amongst the best for me, so many different types of songs, they tick every box.

Those are my top Scottish bands and will probably never be shifted in my head.

33 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Some great music has come from our country.

You’re so right. Day off work today so I’ve spent the morning starting to go through some of the suggestions and recommendations. Some brilliant stuff out there, and a real education for me - thanks again to everyone. Idlewild and Gerry Rafferty’s posthumous album are immediately ticking all the boxes. So much content still to go through. 

Some not mentioned yet: The Delgados, Urusei Yatsura, The Soup Dragons, The Vaselines, BMX Bandits, Captain America/Eugenius, Primal Scream, The Bad Men (of Blue Peter fame.....), Mogwai, Teenage Fanclub.

Seconded, thirded, fourthed, etc.....

Rezillos

The Skids

JAMC

Arab Strap

Cocteau Twins 

Edited by Ken Ickie
Added two more.

6 minutes ago, Ken Ickie said:

Some not mentioned yet: The Delgados, Urusei Yatsura, The Soup Dragons, The Vaselines, BMX Bandits, Captain America/Eugenius, Primal Scream, The Bad Men (of Blue Peter fame.....), Mogwai, Teenage Fanclub.

Rezillos

The Skids

JAMC

Arab Strap

Cocteau Twins 

Point of order. Two of those were mentioned, just not by name or their full sunday name. 

1 hour ago, Ken Ickie said:

Rezillos

The Skids

JAMC

Arab Strap

Cocteau Twins 

Great list and I would like to add: The Beta Band, Josef K think they have not been mentioned

Edited by betting competition