Why does the domestic game stop for International matches

4 hours ago, GordonD said:

So that the arsecheeks don't have to bother withdrawing their players from the squad, claiming they're injured, then playing them in the league game anyway.

They wouldn't be allowed to do this under FIFA rules, so it is nothing to do with that.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'd argue it's the United fans who've been getting fleeced hardest of all.

Season ticket sales and home crowd sizes so far this season suggests the fans are right behind the team.

ETA big travelling support too.

Edited by Granny Danger

I’m sure they use to promote it down in England when was international weekend they would encourage you to take in your local non league ground for a game.

should be a motto we should push too. 

38 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I meant generally, over the past several seasons.

You can look forward with optimism or you can look back with regret.  Looking forward is better.

Granny Danger -9 September 2023.

2 hours ago, Moorie said:

I’m sure they use to promote it down in England when was international weekend they would encourage you to take in your local non league ground for a game.

should be a motto we should push too. 

Aye, Non-League Day is a thing when Engerlund are playing. 

There was 573 at Dunbar v Haddington today without any publicity beyond East Lothian- the East of Scotland League were cute in having all the local derbies played today. 

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Aye, Non-League Day is a thing when Engerlund are playing. 

There was 573 at Dunbar v Haddington today without any publicity beyond East Lothian- the East of Scotland League were cute in having all the local derbies played today. 

Banks of Dee would be my nearest non league ground which to be fair I’ve been down there quite a few times this season already. £10 for me to get in and the son is free. unfortunately no game today as was highland league cup. Would be good to see the SFA push the highland, lowland, WOS etc on social media when the NT is paying especially when it’s not on a Saturday 

It's a terrible idea but one of the many things I don't understand about rugby is that they do just that. Six Nations goes full pelt and Glasgow and Edinburgh just have to keep playing with many top players unavailable.

No doubt some ruggafan will roll his eyes and explain in emphatic fashion why I'm misunderstanding.

1 hour ago, KirkieRR said:

It's a terrible idea but one of the many things I don't understand about rugby is that they do just that. Six Nations goes full pelt and Glasgow and Edinburgh just have to keep playing with many top players unavailable.

It's basically as midweek games are taboo... and given physicality of pro rugby nowadays that's probably wise... so if they stopped for 6N + autumn series + RWC they'd have to slash club rugby.