Plucky County v Troubled Plucky Livi - 16/9/23

County I thought were the better team right up until the Livi equalizer. Don't remember many Livi clear chances other than the counter attack goal. Thought it was a scrappy game overall, with fouls, needless dives and falling over from both sides.  Definitely a physical battle!! County defended well, despite the breakaway goal. It was well taken from what looked like a tight angle. Up until that point, County were pressing lots for the 2nd which would have won the match. For a while I was confident the 2nd was on its way, but hey ho.

Once Livingston equalized the football was pretty poor from both teams, with the ball in the air a lot, headers back and forth and not much quality. Would have liked to have seen Brophy on a lot earlier though. Was surprised to see Dhanda subbed off, even though late in the game he could still have done something. 2 points dropped I felt, but not too disappointed.

However like each season, Livi will be a very difficult team to beat no matter who the opposition is. Wouldn't be suprised to see Livi beat Celtic or Rangers at home this season at least. Last season County would have lost that game.

Aberdeen double header next away on the Sunday, then home for the cup on Wednesday. I'm confident for both games tbh and going to both. Onwards & upwards

2 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Draw was the right result there, neither team did enough to win the game.

Must be at it here? , 5 touches in the county box all game! , as inept as we were upfront we definitely deserved the win today credit to Livingston for a lovely break away goal though, county should've had it out of site by then

8 minutes ago, Rcfc fan said:

Must be at it here? , 5 touches in the county box all game! , as inept as we were upfront we definitely deserved the win today credit to Livingston for a lovely break away goal though, county should've had it out of site by then

You're waffling if you think that performance merited a win :D 5 shots on target, one being the goal. We were rarely threatened and County were tame in possession 

End off the day,County should have won this,especially first half.Their inability to see us off.Credit to Livi .We Have an undoubted will to carry on,which sometimes does us in,hark back to our pre International break against St Mirren Last kick of the ball they salvage a point.Would suspect with respect,we both will be down there somewhat batteling out to stay away from that dreaded playoff place.Might be wrong,but we've got St Johnstone as a buffer.Dingwall,great dayout by the way.👏👍.

5 minutes ago, Rcfc fan said:

Martindale agrees with you.

image.png.0226c37658aa4f697f905ddb3e2d0275.png

As EdinburghLivi said though, we chucked away 2pts against St Mirren in the last minute of the added time, so this kinda makes up for it, with us managing to grab a point when we were looking like getting nothing.

11 hours ago, Comrie said:

Said before, Livi can be an absolute nightmare for us. I'll take a point, keeps the scoreboard ticking over.

I keep expecting Livingston to collapse and struggle, but they never do.  So a point is a decent result.  

10 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I keep expecting Livingston to collapse and struggle, but they never do.  So a point is a decent result.  

We've never even really been in a relegation battle since we came up, finished 10th first season up and beyond that we've been out and safe fairly early on. There's not much between the likes of St Johnstone, Dundee, Ross County, Livi and St Mirren I don't think over the course of 5-10 years

7 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

We've never even really been in a relegation battle since we came up, finished 10th first season up and beyond that we've been out and safe fairly early on. There's not much between the likes of St Johnstone, Dundee, Ross County, Livi and St Mirren I don't think over the course of 5-10 years

Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing but respect for Livingston.  Really it says more about my ignorance.   

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

9th, but your point stands. The only time I've been worried about relegation was the season when we started poorly and were 11th in December, but we were then 4th in early March. We've been comfortable pretty much every other season.

Might be being naive, but I also think we'll easily be fine this year. Another 9th place beckons.

2 hours ago, thruthenight said:

9th, but your point stands. The only time I've been worried about relegation was the season when we started poorly and were 11th in December, but we were then 4th in early March. We've been comfortable pretty much every other season.

Might be being naive, but I also think we'll easily be fine this year. Another 9th place beckons.

The pattern of the last few seasons is heading for 9th anyway.  Our previous 5 seasons, 9th-5th-6th-7th-and last season 8th.

We went into this season on a low, after finishing last season without scoring a goal in any of our last 8 away games and Martindale giving it doom and gloom with budget cuts and the like, but he's done it again, assembling a decent looking squad on a shoestring budget, and bringing in a solid defensive signing like Devlin. From what i've seen so far i'm optimistic of us being in and around the top 6 scrap going into the split.

27 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I've been much the same, fairly surprised at the doom and gloom. I feel like this year's squad is stronger than last season's, we've sorted the defence out. 100% capable of being in and around the top 6

Yeah Devlin is an upgrade on Fitzwater, and Sangare looks pretty good, giving us more height and physicality in midfield. He should be even better as the season goes on. De Lucas and Guthrie have a season's experience with us and are looking better for it, particularly Luiyi, who's been our best player in the first couple of months. Brandon is looking decent now he's getting games with Nicky Devlin leaving, and still having Bruce and Joel is a real bonus too. 

If we can keep Bruce and Devlin* fit we'll have a pretty good season.

*Martindale saying it isn't his ankle that had the old injury, so will hopefully be ok for the Celtic game next week.

9 hours ago, ATLIS said:

I've been much the same, fairly surprised at the doom and gloom. I feel like this year's squad is stronger than last season's, we've sorted the defence out. 100% capable of being in and around the top 6

With Fitzwater and Nicky Devlin away I'm feeling more settled defensively. Some of the goals we were conceding in the second half of last season bordered on comedy gold if I hadn't been so pee'd off.

Nicky Devlin at least tried, unlike Fitzwater, but his tendency to go missing too much from the right back position as he hovered around the opposition half seems to be continuing with his new club now. 

Saturday reiterated a personal perspective I’ve held since the start of the season - in that I look around the league and cannot see which team(s) are going to be dragged into a relegation battle. St Johnstone, at the moment, look the overwhelming favourites to go down. However, I expect they’ll have an upturn of form once their new signings get settled. Above them? You’ve got a glut of 6-8 teams who could genuinely finish anywhere between 4th and 11th. 

Should be a fascinating season. 

13 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Saturday reiterated a personal perspective I’ve held since the start of the season - in that I look around the league and cannot see which team(s) are going to be dragged into a relegation battle. St Johnstone, at the moment, look the overwhelming favourites to go down. However, I expect they’ll have an upturn of form once their new signings get settled. Above them? You’ve got a glut of 6-8 teams who could genuinely finish anywhere between 4th and 11th. 

Have to agree - not least by the faltering fortunes of some of the top-six sides from last season.

Some of the sides I'd pigeon-holed as contenders seem to be doing a lot better than previously thought.

The only certainty seems to be Hibs and Aberdeen possibly changing their managers a couple more times before the season is out.

My concern is other sides will undoubtedly have the ability to "splash the cash" in the winter transfer window to pull themselves out of the mire; that's not an option open to us,

3 hours ago, Durnford said:

Have to agree - not least by the faltering fortunes of some of the top-six sides from last season.

Some of the sides I'd pigeon-holed as contenders seem to be doing a lot better than previously thought.

The only certainty seems to be Hibs and Aberdeen possibly changing their managers a couple more times before the season is out.

My concern is other sides will undoubtedly have the ability to "splash the cash" in the winter transfer window to pull themselves out of the mire; that's not an option open to us,

Aye but we could have Teto joining us in Jan (if he gets a work permit), a mini version of Messi.

3 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

I think we all have to take advantage of St Johnstone and Aberdeen being so shite just now, they have to start picking up wins at some point.