Russell Brand - In Plain Sight

ICTChris

52 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I remember being a bit shocked when I joined P&B in 2010 to find the answer to any annoying woman was a boot in the pie. 

The nasty noughties: Russell Brand and the era of sadistic tabloid misogyny

There's still a few wrongcocks on here using that, read it somewhere quite recently.

Edited by Gibby82

1 minute ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

See also: weird middle aged men saying ‘wid’ to let us know, they would in fact, sleep with a much younger woman who is relevant to the thread in some way. 

Tbf it's usually a hole in a plank of wood or a walrus or something. 

5 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

See also: weird middle aged men saying ‘wid’ to let us know, they would in fact, sleep with a much younger woman who is relevant to the thread in some way. 

The joke is the desperation and delusion of the poster, not the individual being referred to.

Imagining a poster on here becoming really famous before a spectacular cancellation, front page news, BBC documentary etc because they found all his posts on here saying 'wid' and 'boot her in the pie'.

Kenneth Williams gifs as evidence of their sex crazed, perverted mind.

2 minutes ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

Imagining a poster on here becoming really famous before a spectacular cancellation, front page news, BBC documentary etc because they found all his posts on here saying 'wid' and 'boot her in the pie'.

Already happened to an extent with the ex Stirling Albion chairman who resigned after the Record dug up his old posts on here. 

That's basically how Mark Zuckerberg made his fortune; wid/widnae. 

It’s a slippery slope. One day you’re saying ‘wid’ and the next you’re lamenting ‘eyebrows being raised’ when you’re picking your 16 yo girlfriend up from school.

5 minutes ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

I wouldn’t give up my chairmanship of the Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party.

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

We had newspapers giving out "swordsman of the year" awards to the likes of Brand or that guy from Blue who went round shagging people. It's unimaginable now. 

It's amazing to thing that the decade that had shows like the West Wing, the Sopranos, the Wire, 6 Feet Under and Breaking Bad also produced at the bottom end of the pile a generation of instantly-famous celebrities with no redeeming qualities. And that's where Brand came from, and where he belongs. A z-lister who lucked out getting famous, thought he could act a certain way and has been caught out. 

I agree with your observations about the decade, and the sort of celebrities it gave rise to.

However, I don't think Russell Brand does belong in that group of those who became famous without discernible talent.  He was a clever, sometimes funny, entertaining guy, blessed with a terrific facility with language.

He was always clearly a dick, and evidently now, he was actually much worse than that.  He was talented and capable though.

23 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I agree with your observations about the decade, and the sort of celebrities it gave rise to.

However, I don't think Russell Brand does belong in that group of those who became famous without discernible talent.  He was a clever, sometimes funny, entertaining guy, blessed with a terrific facility with language.

He was always clearly a dick, and evidently now, he was actually much worse than that.  He was talented and capable though.

Not sure about that, he used some flowery archaic language like a Victorian Cockney urchin which was amusing for a bit, but that was about it in my memory. Watched some of his stuff again recently and I haven't found anything funny or meaningful, other than a Rick in the Young Ones kind of way with a sprinkling of cruelty. His YouTube rants seem to be entirely vacuous, pretending to raise questions while refusing to commit to any opinion that can be questioned. 

Edited by welshbairn

14 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I thought his stand up was shite, but as a guest and presenter he was much better.

58 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Already happened to an extent with the ex Stirling Albion chairman who resigned after the Record dug up his old posts on here. 

Only way anyone should be dug up about their posts on here is if they cheat at either the Chess League or Quiz League as clearly their lives are dangerously empty to prompt them cheating in an anonymous league table.

23 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It important bit is separating the art from the crime. No one wants to see their heros burnt to the ground but when things like this happen, some folk can't make the split of - I liked him up until the point he may be a serial sex offender or worse. 

See Michael Jackson fans

I think Brand did/does have some interesting things to say on certain subjects. His "what my most generous and erudite colleague fails to acknowledge is I like sticking me dinky winky into a ladies bumbum when she's not expecting it. Kno wat I mean guv" patter was always awful.

The foppish, libertine persona obviously worked wonders for him for a long time, but he's just a gorilla in eyeliner and skinny jeans.

Guest DannyBlue
25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Clever I'm sceptical about, he always stuck me as a person trying too hard, unnecessarily using big words and talking quickly to give the illusion of being smart.