Russell Brand - In Plain Sight

ICTChris

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think P&B is actually interesting in terms of charting changes in sensibilities.

Obviously, it's always relied on a certain irreverence, but things we'd deem thoroughly unacceptable now, weren't just present a decade or so back: they were popular.

Rape jokes, references to rape vans etc went down a storm - they really did.  It's kinda uncomfortable.  Our attitudes shift quickly, and most of us reach them less independently than we'd like to think.

This is true.  The lovely lady threads have disappeared, for example. 

4 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

And this is the point. He can sound impressive with pre-prepared 'opinions' using flowery language. But the first time he's questioned the whole thing falls apart as he has no idea how to defend his views, as he is an idiot who thinks through absolutely nothing.

Anyone who reads enough books and puts some thought into it can learn to use language well.

This is the other thing.  He never believed a word of it.  He actually spoke some sense in his Paxman interview, but he was just parroting George Monbiot.  

17 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

“Faintly baroque attacks” is utterly meaningless rhetoric.  

It is completely meaningless.  If you analyse what he actually says it's gibberish most of the time.

Jordan Peterson was a genuinely accomplished acadmic psychologist but his writing is appalling.  Peter Hitchens reviewed his book and said it's like bathing in porridge.  Also, and I'm not being facetious here, I think Peterson may have suffered actual brain damage.  He is clearly in cognitive decline since his stint in a drug withdrawal induced coma.  He now seems to get propped up in front of Twitter to pop out strange reactions. 

I begin to wonder how genuine his “Recovery” book is. At the very least a lot of it now seems hypocritical.

Still have a copy somewhere here (although I’m not sure it’s particularly relevant in my case any more given my recent health scare.

Never liked the guy’s tv/media persona anyway, I just hope he gets what he deserves and his victims have a chance at some sort of safe/healthy life moving forward 

11 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

It is completely meaningless.  If you analyse what he actually says it's gibberish most of the time.

Jordan Peterson was a genuinely accomplished acadmic psychologist but his writing is appalling.  Peter Hitchens reviewed his book and said it's like bathing in porridge.  Also, and I'm not being facetious here, I think Peterson may have suffered actual brain damage.  He is clearly in cognitive decline since his stint in a drug withdrawal induced coma.  He now seems to get propped up in front of Twitter to pop out strange reactions. 

Sincere apologies for correcting you good sir, but I believe Hitchens described the book’s conversational style as “slid[ing] about the page like mental porridge”. 

A small difference, but one that makes a bit more sense than bathing in porridge.

12 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Jordan Peterson was a genuinely accomplished acadmic psychologist but his writing is appallingPeter Hitchens reviewed his book and said it's like bathing in porridge.  Also, and I'm not being facetious here, I think Peterson may have suffered actual brain damage.  He is clearly in cognitive decline since his stint in a drug withdrawal induced coma.  He now seems to get propped up in front of Twitter to pop out strange reactions. 

I watched a couple of interviews of him after the channel 4 one and he was contradicting himself while still talking with authority. 

On an aside, I have never read anything Caitlin Moran has written but the review of her latest book in Private eye was pretty scathing. 

11 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

I begin to wonder how genuine his “Recovery” book is. At the very least a lot of it now seems hypocritical.

Still have a copy somewhere here (although I’m not sure it’s particularly relevant in my case any more given my recent health scare.

Never liked the guy’s tv/media persona anyway, I just hope he gets what he deserves and his victims have a chance at some sort of safe/healthy life moving forward 

If anything the post Trump media landscape has shown us, it’s that people will say anything for a dollar.  I was watching - Christ knows why - Brand interview Candace Owens about absolutely nothing whatsoever and coming down on the side which would get him more money.  It’s the only explanation for the likes of Brand and Peterson.  

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've not watched it for a long time (is it still going?) but very few people ever seemed to host that show and not get taken apart, tbf.

They knew your weakness before hiring you and just exploited it ruthlessly.

He wasn't hosting he was one of the guests. He got up and left as he 'needed a wee' and they just carried on without him, was arse-clenchingly cringey.

26 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Peter Hitchens reviewed his book and said it's like bathing in porridge. 

I say! My good squire, did not that most venerable of literary scrutinisers Peter Hitchens, upon bringing to a conclusion his perusal of the self-same aformentioned sir's tome, remark that this was, sure as the sun rises in the east, a sensation not entirely dissimilair to and wholly removed from that of lathing oneself in frumenty? Paradigm.

Edited by VincentGuerin

3 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I say! My good squire, did not that most venerable of literary scrutinisers Peter Hitchens, upon bringing to a conclusion his perusal of the self-same aformentioned sir's tome, remark that this was, sure as the sun rises in the east, a sensation not entirely dissimilair to and wholly removed from that of lathing oneself in frumenty? Paradigm.

^^^ Creepy pervert found

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

6 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Nah, you see he didn't just do the daft stylised gibberish that you've attempted to parody.

He actually did manage to speak well on his podcasts, back before he fashioned himself as a guru.  

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Nah, you see he didn't just do the daft stylised gibberish that you've attempted to parody.

He actually did manage to speak well on his podcasts, back before he fashioned himself as a guru.  

I think his guests were good in the early days and some of them were worth hearing. He had an excellent podcast about disability, one really good one with a film-maker. Some of them were great.

He was just massively out his depth. Like I said, a fraud. So much of what he came out with was just word salad pish being sure to hit a few buzzwords.

I think he was doing a degree at the time? He was just parroting out combinations of the big words he'd read and trying to pass the resulting paint chucked at a wall as thought-out opinions. As mentioned, when pushed to justify or explain anything, he was fucked. Utterly clueless.