Stirling v Cove - the big game on the telly

7 minutes ago, unitedbino said:

Absolutely bizarre refereeing performance today. My favourite bit was when Albion had possession, then the game was stopped for a Cove injury, then the referee handed the ball to Cove to resume 😂 Amazing stuff

That one was unreal.

Did seem a particularly odd refereeing performance.

Lewis Milne will have nightmares about that header. It's a miraculous save bur he should never have been allowed to make it.

It was a far from vintage performance.

Absolutely gutting way to finish. We failed miserably to take advantage of the extra man.

Thought Cove looked alright knocking the ball around but didn't seem to have much purpose until late on.

Funniest moment today was the lad covered in red protesting it wasn't him that threw the flare. Priceless..........

14 minutes ago, SA45 said:

Cove had 28 fans. I counted them and think some of them might have been club officials.

I was one of 5 on the right hand side of the stand. The rest were family members of players on the other side of the cameras in the same stand. 

I expected a low turn out given the game was on TV but that's ridiculous. Home support is also waning at Balmoral as no one wants Hartley managing any longer.

16 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I was one of 5 on the right hand side of the stand. The rest were family members of players on the other side of the cameras in the same stand. 

I expected a low turn out given the game was on TV but that's ridiculous. Home support is also waning at Balmoral as no one wants Hartley managing any longer.

Good on you! It's hard going travelling when there's unrest though. Thought Cove played well second half.

I can't say I was impressed with that performance.  The ball given away, hoofed to no one, or headed straight to an opponent far too often.  You don't win games doing that and I thought we looked there to be beat, even when we were ahead.  A stupid sending off and poor defending at the end probably leaving both sides frustrated. Still, class finish from Scully to be fair.  

We need Carrick, Hilson and or an in form Leitch back and soon. 

2 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

I can't say I was impressed with that performance.  The ball given away, hoofed to no one, or headed straight to an opponent far too often.  You don't win games doing that and I thought we looked there to be beat, even when we were ahead.  A stupid sending off and poor defending at the end probably leaving both sides frustrated. Still, class finish from Scully to be fair.  

We need Carrick, Hilson and or an in form Leitch back and soon. 

We stole a point there in my opinion. Wasn't much in the game overall but at 2-1 the Binos had 2 glorious chances to kill the game. Suman's double save was impressive but he shouldn't have had the chance to get to it.

Our pen looked soft, would need to watch it back.

Down to 10 men I felt we still carried a threat but didn't truly expect Scully to slot that away so late on.

No denying Carrick and Hillson will strengthen you on their return and Leitch can be a strong option too when back to his best.

Hartley likely survives yet another week.

1 minute ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

We stole a point there in my opinion. Wasn't much in the game overall but at 2-1 the Binos had 2 glorious chances to kill the game. Suman's double save was impressive but he shouldn't have had the chance to get to it.

Our pen looked soft, would need to watch it back.

Down to 10 men I felt we still carried a threat but didn't truly expect Scully to slot that away so late on.

No denying Carrick and Hillson will strengthen you on their return and Leitch can be a strong option too when back to his best.

Hartley likely survives yet another week.

Both penalties were soft mate. Neither side set the pulse racing much, but you got a point with a cracking finish. I wouldn't call it stolen myself.

56 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

£17 surely must be turning people away who maybe fancy a game if the Dons are away. Great kids get in free but still find £17 steep. Will have to be careful as can see some heading down to Banks of dee.

hats off making the effort to go down when a few the usual hardcore not going.

Might go against the grain, but I actually think a draw was probably about fair. Yes it’s frustrating in the way we lost 3 points, however I don’t think we capitalised on our man advantage, and we seem to be set up this season, not to loose and not to give much away.

That’s not a dig at Darren Young or any of the coaches or players, I think we are good at what we do and I think it will bring us the success at the end of the season, but the danger is, if we don’t create or take enough, and we let the opposition have as much of the ball, there’s always the chance of what happened happening.

With Carrick, Davidson, Leitch and Hilson out, that’s a lot of our attacking impetus right there, so is it any wonder? However I did think Spence put a good shift in once again, I thought Cooper was possibly more effective than Leitch has been in spells this season and Banner was rightly awarded Man of the Match, what a shift he put in, chased everything, battled for every ball and really did leave everything he had out on the park.

I standard of Refereeing really does seem to get worse every year, and last night was simply baffling. No wonder players and supporters get so frustrated. Neither penalty was a penalty, from what I could see….the Stirling one was closer to me…and the drop ball decision was mind blowing but thankfully had no impact on the game. We shouldn’t be walking away from games talking about the officials, but every year this seems to becoming more and more common. I get they have a hard job to do, but people like him do themselves no favours by being so inconsistent with decisions, or by just being plain and simply wrong. I really don’t know how we address this problem when Reds can’t come out to speak and others in the game can’t question them.

I can’t comment on the Red Card, I didn’t see it so will need to watch the TV back, although well done to the Ref if it was indeed a head butt:

Another poster above has said about the admission fee putting fans off coming to games or even casual observers. I agree. Due to the rising costs of everything, I’m attending less Away games now because of the price, in fact Alloa is the only away game I have been to this season. I don’t think clubs are doing themselves any favours charging what they do, I get that we have high running costs but SPFL football is just not affordable for many. I’ve been watching various “non-league” games over the years, but even more so now with the SPFL admission prices, I don’t have enough disposable income and I’m sure many others are in the same boat, and I’m sure my wife and I would fall into a relatively well paid pay band in comparison to others.

Anyway, a frustrating night in the end last night, but another point closer to the 40 mark. I think every player can be proud of the shift they put in, and I thought Ewan Wilson looked like a good addition. Onto next week and another battle.

1 hour ago, Dumb yatt said:

Not the result I was hoping for but I’m OK with a point.  Cove keeper decent. Are Cove relying on aged superstars? They played better with 10. 

No doubt Nick Suman saved us or at least played a big part in us getting a draw. For me, Balint Demus, is our best keeper but after playing the first couple of league games was relegated to the bench. We have 2 very good keepers for this level which isn't something you want to complain about but when we have no wingers, sub standard full backs and not a target man striker in sight it's frustrating.

You should have seen us last season, far more geriatric than we are now. 30 Hartley signings since his return in January but no doubt our legacy players are our best we have (Mitch, Fyvie, Scully and Yule)

Here's our matchday squad from yesterday and ages. Defence is a shambles clearly and when you see the ages written down it's young and inexperienced.

Nick Suman (23)
Jacob Jones (22)
Cameron Stewart (20)
Will Gillingham (24)
Sena (23)
---
Connor Scully (30)
Fraser Fyvie (30)
Paul McGowan (35)
---
Mitch Megginson (31)
Kyle Connell (22)
Rumarn Burrell (22)

Average age: 25 years 6 months

Subs
Balint Demus (21)
Milo Ochmanski (17)
Arron Darge (20)
Tyler Mykyta (21)
Mark Gallagher (22)
Scott Williamson (22)
Blair Yule (31)

Edited by CoveRangers1922

11 hours ago, Moorie said:

£17 surely must be turning people away who maybe fancy a game if the Dons are away. Great kids get in free but still find £17 steep. Will have to be careful as can see some heading down to Banks of dee.

hats off making the effort to go down when a few the usual hardcore not going.

Thought it was £14 or £15 but that's standing and you're right £17 is probably for a stand ticket. It's more expensive than it should be. Should definitely be an agreement in placement with Dons season ticket holders for subsidised entry in my opinion if that's legal to do so.

I think a few Aberdeen fans who have an interest in Cove, especially when the Dons are away, are already trying out somewhere else like Spain Park. BoD are ambitious and will want in the SPFL. Difficult task given the LL is strengthening and with Brechin, Broch, Buckie,Brora it's competitive in the HL nowadays.

Was only keeping half an eye on this but was that Murray Miller who came on for Stirling? I thought he had potential when he was on loan with us last season. Needed to be a bit more assertive probably but decent on the ball, physical when required and had a good shot on him too. Plenty good attributes to work on, would be a decent addition I think.