Scottish Women's (Sky) League Cup

PossilYM

Guest DannyBlue

Couldn't make the Hibs game but as it was just round the corner from my flat I was able to get to Meggatland to see the Boroughmuir v Queen's Park game. The second half had 6 goals, Queen's came back from 1-0 and 3-1 down only to lose when Thistle capitalised on a late defensive mistake. Thistle worthy winners overall, I would say because they were much better in the first half, but a really entertaining game and tremendous value for 6 quid.

Edited by DannyBlue

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Final scheduled for a Saturday 3pm kick-off. 

Now Hibs are probably favourites to beat Thistle but it's a Hibs side currently below Thistle in the league and Thistle beat Hibs in Edinburgh earlier in the season, so it wouldn't exactly be a massive shock if Thistle won. 

Now that would mean that Thistle in reaching their first national cup final would be without their manager who would be busy 70 miles elsewhere at 3pm that Saturday. 

And the fans, far from planning  the prospect of a final would need to make a choice between the men's game in Arbroath, and the women in a cup final. The Thistle fans turned out in good numbers, more than Celtic, Hearts and glasgow city, when they played in the Scottish Cup semi a couple of years back. 

Either the SWPL don't care about this or just assume Hibs will win. Either way, the latest baffling decision from the SWPL. 

FB_IMG_1702590791510.jpg

To be fair, I don't think they should be expected to be scheduling a cup final around times where a manager might be playing a game for another team - that's always going to be an issue when Thistle appoint a manager who is also an active player for their men's first team.  I think the prime 3pm Saturday slot during a men's international break is the best time to maximise attendance in general, again it is just a bit unfortunate that one of the clubs have a men's Championship game that day.

12 hours ago, craigkillie said:

To be fair, I don't think they should be expected to be scheduling a cup final around times where a manager might be playing a game for another team - that's always going to be an issue when Thistle appoint a manager who is also an active player for their men's first team.  I think the prime 3pm Saturday slot during a men's international break is the best time to maximise attendance in general, again it is just a bit unfortunate that one of the clubs have a men's Championship game that day.

It's a "bit unfortunate" I guess that the potential overlap extends not just to the manager but also the sport science and physio departments, not to mention the club's media team. 

These issues will be rendered irrelevant should Hibs progress to the Final, and they are favourites to do just that, but the SWPL either didn't factor in the possibility of such a clash, or simply didn't care. Either way it's a further example of the women’s game replicating many on the mistakes of the men's game and focusing on just a few clubs and to hell with the rest. 

I've seen correspondence from the SWPL in reply to an email from a Thistle fan expressing concern about this, and apparently Thistle could/should have flagged up concerns as far back as March THIS year at a time when Thistle didn't even know what league the men's team would be playing in during season 2023-2024 far less be aware of a potential clash 12 months down the line. 

The SWPL and Sky Sports have been denied the old firm cup final that they clearly wanted. No doubt fingers are now crossed that their "showcase" Edinburgh final will now have an Edinburgh side featuring in it. 

Guest DannyBlue
49 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

It's a "bit unfortunate" I guess that the potential overlap extends not just to the manager but also the sport science and physio departments, not to mention the club's media team. 

What did all these people do in February when the men and women both played a cup tie on the same day?

Edited by DannyBlue
spelling

6 hours ago, DannyBlue said:

What did all these people do in February when the men and women both played a cup tie on the same day?

Well the actual personnel were different, and the overlaps werein different areas back in February, aside from the manager, but as I recall in addition to Brian Graham the women's team coach and goalkeeping coach were at Ibrox for the men's Scottish Cup tie that day. Brian I believe made it to Petershill Park at some point in the second half. I didn't. I was locked in at Ibrox after full-time. 

A request for a date change for the women's game that Sunday was, as would almost certainly any request for a change in date for the Sky Sports Cup Final would be, rejected. 

Having our manager of the women’s team playing for, and now captaining, the men's team does mean there are clashes with games and training etc. on occasion. The decision to make the appointment in the first place was made in full recognition of this and is something that we just need to contend with. Fortunately in Ross Stormonth we have a first class assistant. 

However, why I am angry in this particular instance is the apparent disregard the SWPL have for a potential clash for a cup final. 

The date picked is understandable. There are no Premiership games that weekend. Should the final be between two sides whose men's team play in the Premiership then hopefully this date will allow for a bigger crowd. 

The men's team of one of the semi-finalists though plays in the Championship, and there is a full Championshio card that weekend. 

The original correspondence, which the SWPL are keen to point out was made in March this year, has either the Saturday or Sunday for the match. 

Why the date of the final couldn't be confirmed until after the semi-finals in January when the participants are confirmed I don't know. 

If, big if, it's Thistle, play it on the Sunday. Then, notwithstanding the issues re management etc. not being available, Thistle fans don't have a choice to make over which game to attend. 

4 hours ago, John MacLean said:

If, big if, it's Thistle, play it on the Sunday. Then, notwithstanding the issues re management etc. not being available, Thistle fans don't have a choice to make over which game to attend. 

SPFL Trust Trophy Final is the Sunday.

Argument about your fans is fair, but will probably mean you asking SPFL + Arbroath to redate your Championship game. Not having a dedicated manager + physio is your own lookout.

Edited by HibeeJibee

• 1 month later...
On 16/12/2023 at 12:38, HibeeJibee said:

SPFL Trust Trophy Final is the Sunday.

Argument about your fans is fair, but will probably mean you asking SPFL + Arbroath to redate your Championship game. Not having a dedicated manager + physio is your own lookout.

Roger Hannah made a really good point that I hadn't considered. Will the swpl, spfl and sky really want a load of negative press around their showpiece final because some of the thistle women's team are working and their manager is too? I think it'll be moved now

Every part-time football club will have players who ordinarily work on a Saturday and have to take time off for games. If Partick Thistle don't give Brian Graham time off from his job of playing for Partick Thistle in order to coach Partick Thistle then that seems like Partick Thistle's issue.

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

That's absolutely dreadful from the Thistle goalie

I really don’t want to kick into a kid chucked into a cup final but yes, left 95% of the goal open and not even dived to attempt to block the small part she could cover