When should a band split up?

btb

Interesting (IMO) article in today's Grauniad...

Fleetwood Mac decided to go their own ways. How do bands know when to quit, and shouldn’t more do so? | Michael Hann | The Guardian

My fave group The Beatles were living on borrowed time after the Let It Be sessions but I'm glad they held on for a bit and made Abbey Road my GOAT!

INXS should have chucked it the minute Michael Hutchence died. They tried to limp on after getting a new singer through some sort of talent search show or something.

Queen should have chucked it for a similar reason, and not fannied around still using the name, but with ‘and Paul Rodgers’ or ‘with Adam Lambert’ tacked on.

No doubt I could come up with many more personal choices. One being, as far as I’m concerned, Van Halen ended when Dave Lee Roth was no longer frontman. Seemingly they continued with some other guy. Haven’t ever heard one song of theirs they recorded with the other bloke.

There must be a million instances of bands still limping on donkeys years after they should have chucked it. Aren’t there still about six different versions of Slade and Sweet going around the circuit? 😀

Edited by pozbaird

I'm going to be charitable and say that bands should be allowed until the end of the decade after the one in which they first became famous, before they are rounded up and sent to a gulag in Siberia.

The Stones and The Who, for example, were still releasing decent stuff in the 70s but jumped the shark as soon as the 80s rolled around.

David Bowie, Rod Stewart and Elton John all had some decent hits in the 70s and 80s but released nothing but turgid shite from 1990 onwards.

John Lennon had some great records in the 60s and 70s, but managed to avoid releasing any pish in the 80s. 

20 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

There must be a million instances of bands still limping on donkeys years after they should have chucked it. Aren’t there still about six different versions of Slade and Sweet going around the circuit? 😀

Perhaps the two groups could merge and call themselves Suede.

Awkward The Simpsons GIF

Before hipsters get the chance to say, "of course, they were much better before everyone else found out about them".

I don't mind the whole "they're just milking it for the money" thing anymore. If musicians have made something that I've enjoyed, and they can make money by continually releasing dreck, or by relentlessly touring their greatest hits with no new material, good for them. I'm glad they're getting rewarded - they deserve it for the good stuff, and nobody's forcing me to buy anything else they do.

Besides, if left to their own devices, it's surprising how often they can end up looping back around and producing interesting material again. I can think of a number of bands who've been around for decades and have brought out some late-stage bangers. If they're still enjoying what they do, let them get on with it.

1 hour ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I'm going to be charitable and say that bands should be allowed until the end of the decade after the one in which they first became famous, before they are rounded up and sent to a gulag in Siberia.

The Stones and The Who, for example, were still releasing decent stuff in the 70s but jumped the shark as soon as the 80s rolled around.

David Bowie, Rod Stewart and Elton John all had some decent hits in the 70s and 80s but released nothing but turgid shite from 1990 onwards.

John Lennon had some great records in the 60s and 70s, but managed to avoid releasing any pish in the 80s. 

I agree somewhat about Bowie but BlackStar is a masterpiece imo.

3 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Amnesiac, Kid A, HTTT, In Rainbows...........99% of bands would kill for that sort of discography at any time.

Hated Kid A when it came out and thought they released Amnesiac so soon after because they realised they had misread the room but listening back now theres some cracking tracks on it. On saying that Moon Shaped Pool is disappointing but I don't think there's any bands that come close to their output

On 04/10/2023 at 13:30, BFTD said:

Before hipsters get the chance to say, "of course, they were much better before everyone else found out about them".

I don't mind the whole "they're just milking it for the money" thing anymore. If musicians have made something that I've enjoyed, and they can make money by continually releasing dreck, or by relentlessly touring their greatest hits with no new material, good for them. I'm glad they're getting rewarded - they deserve it for the good stuff, and nobody's forcing me to buy anything else they do.

Besides, if left to their own devices, it's surprising how often they can end up looping back around and producing interesting material again. I can think of a number of bands who've been around for decades and have brought out some late-stage bangers. If they're still enjoying what they do, let them get on with it.

Keep seeing good reviews for Suede's LPs that they've done over the past couple years. Found one in a charity shop for $3 but I haven't got round to listening to it yet. 

ETA - there's also the bands that keep releasing the same LP over and over again; sometimes it's good, sometimes it's a bit pedestrian. Teenage Fanclub and Dinosaur Jr spring to mind in that category. I'm hesitant to say Sleater-Kinney should've chucked it after Janet left because 'Center Won't Hold' was a good LP - mostly due to it being more a St Vincent LP (she produced) than an S-K LP, but they should definitely chuck it now. 

Edited by carpetmonster