Aberdeen v st Johnstone

3 minutes ago, 1GregStewart said:

Incredibly disappointing result. St Johnstone the poorest opponent I have seen this season, and I include Stirling Albion in that. 
Very flat performance that slowly cranked up 2nd half to long periods of pressure inspired by the subs. 
Really should have scored a couple but it was 1 of those days where it just wasn’t happening in their box.

Felt there should have been more changes to the team after Thursdays game and that the shape was too rigid and predictable for this game. 

It's too rigid and predictable every game.

Works if we're counter attacking or an opposing team leaves themselves wide open like County.

Had to follow today on Radio Scotland and Willie Millar thought we were impressive and deserved the point. We need to get better in front of goal and as Steve Maclean says we will catch up on those above. One of these weeks we will get the win and that should give us a bit more confidence.

Good point.

20 minutes ago, 1GregStewart said:

St Johnstone the poorest opponent I have seen this season, and I include Stirling Albion in that. 

To be fair, they did pump us 4-0 in Perth in the league cup 3 months ago so a fair opinion.

The bit you maybe also need to come to terms with though is most Saints fans would say Stirling Albion also looked better than Aberdeen from the matches we played against both.

41 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

There is no chance Polvara was anywhere close to Shinnies level of underperformance today.

Polvara offered nothing when he came on, unfortunately. He has clearly improved, but people seeing what they want to see from him. 

“Worst opponent you’ve seen this season” didn’t you put 4 past county a few weeks back?

we offer very little going forward, but at least they looked much more solid defensively this week. Sprangler, Smith and Phillips when he is fit could be the making of a solid midfield for us. If we can continue to improve and start finding goals from somewhere then we could just about grind out enough results to finish 10th or 11th this season. 

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

To be fair, they did pump us 4-0 in Perth in the league cup 3 months ago so a fair opinion.

The bit you maybe also need to come to terms with though is most Saints fans would say Stirling Albion also looked better than Aberdeen from the matches we played against both.

So were Stenhousemuir, Ross County and Dundee

Aye Aberdeen fans talking down about us when theyve spent 90 minutes shelling balls over our defence is a bit wild.

Even when we camped in our own half and gave them endless attacking opportunities it was all about "putting it in the mixer" and going for 2nd balls.

For a "modern club" trying to attract fans, they really dont give much entertainment.

13 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Polvara offered nothing when he came on, unfortunately. He has clearly improved, but people seeing what they want to see from him. 

Likewise on Shinnie it seems.

Polvara managed to find a red shirt with a pass today. Wish the same could be said for Shinnie.

2 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Polvara managed to find a red shirt with a pass today. Wish the same could be said for Shinnie.

Shinnie made double the amount of accurate passes that Polvara did, so that is patently nonsense.

Also, I literally said he was poor today.

He is one of our best and most important players overall, though, so I don't feel the need to get ripped into him after one below-par game. 

Just now, DrewDon said:

Shinnie made double the amount of accurate passes that Polvara did, so that is patently nonsense.

Also, I literally said he was poor today.

He is one of our best and most important players overall, though, so I don't feel the need to get ripped into him after one below-par game. 

What were the averages of their successful passes?

He was worse than poor yet oddly wasn't highlighted while others were. It was certainly not his only below par game this season. Thursday being another.

He has been fantastic in the games when we have less of the ball.

17 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

What were the averages of their successful passes?

He was worse than poor yet oddly wasn't highlighted while others were. It was certainly not his only below par game this season. Thursday being another.

He has been fantastic in the games when we have less of the ball.

Sorry mate, will run it by you before I post my thoughts on the players next time. 

38 minutes ago, Miguel Simao said:

“Worst opponent you’ve seen this season” didn’t you put 4 past county a few weeks back?

we offer very little going forward, but at least they looked much more solid defensively this week. Sprangler, Smith and Phillips when he is fit could be the making of a solid midfield for us. If we can continue to improve and start finding goals from somewhere then we could just about grind out enough results to finish 10th or 11th this season. 

This is the issue for me. We offer absolutely nothing going forward. At least with Kane up there he can buy fouls and then use set plays. Without him we have hee-haw. Costello runs about to little effect and still has more impact than Jephcott. Our midfield can compete and win balls but none of them are capable of a defence splitting pass. We rely on Wright and Carey but one is really a runner and the other is like a bag of revels. You don’t know what you’re going to get from one moment to the next. Maybe Turner-Cooke is the answer but we need to give him a run of games to find out.

The one thing I think everyone will agree on is that MacPherson should be hunted. If McLean honestly thinks he is a better option than McGowan then he should be out the door with him

Aye the MacPherson sub was disappointing.

Think we've a good mix in midfield with Spranger + Phillips or Smith + Kucheriavyi. All 3 give you a bit of something and 3 in their strongest "role" in a 3 set up that way.

I think id have Turner-Cooke in the same mould as Max so we shouldve been looking at him coming on in there. MacPherson probably 3rd choice behind Phillips and Smith.

2 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

Shinnie was poor today, but in the five previous games he's been excellent. 

Edited by kingjoey