The Reckoning

Sergeant Wilson

Watched the first couple of episodes last night. Not expecting to learn anything new, having watched documentaries and read the book upon which it is partly based, but was really keen to see Coogan's performance, which certainly hasn't disappointed so far. 

Eta, I recommend Dan Davies book "In Plain Sight: The Life and Lies of Jimmy Savile" which goes right back to the beginnning and is much more detailed.

Edited by printer

22 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I'm not sure I can really watch four episodes about that man.  Is it worth it or is it just misery upon misery?

Oh it’s misery upon misery.  Couldn’t really be any other way.

Really powerful stuff but Coogan is brilliant.

Hope Savile is burning forever somewhere. 

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I'm not sure I can really watch four episodes about that man.  Is it worth it or is it just misery upon misery?

Exactly my thoughts prior to watching 2 episodes last night. I'm sure many younger people who only know of Savile because of his crimes will feel as you do.

However, I am an auld git and can remember Savile hosting TOTP from the '60's but The Reckoning also fills in gaps about his early career & his obsession with his mother and the Catholic faith, which I knew nothing about. 

I'd say it's not an easy watch but it's definately worth watching and Coogan is very, very good. It's almost the perfect part for him in that he gets to show both his acting & impressionistic chops.

10 hours ago, printer said:

Watched the first couple of episodes last night. Not expecting to learn anything new, having watched documentaries and read the book upon which it is partly based, but was really keen to see Coogan's performance, which certainly hasn't disappointed so far. 

Eta, I recommend Dan Davies book "In Plain Sight: The Life and Lies of Jimmy Savile" which goes right back to the beginnning and is much more detailed.

Aye, nothing surprising in the content, but it was very well done considering the subject. Steve Coogan will win every award going.

43 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Aye, nothing surprising in the content, but it was very well done considering the subject. Steve Coogan will win every award going.

He should but i wouldnt be surprised if he dosnt due to the subject matter.

We watched the whole 4 episodes tonight and can only reiterate what has already been said on here so far. Brilliant and scary performance by Coogan and brave interviews with four of the victims. I remember when he was on TOTP from it's very first show, right through Savile's Travels and Jim'll Fix It. Terrifying thinking back to all that knowing what is known by everyone now.

Coogan is award-winningly good, and the programme is more chilling than any horror I've ever watched. I'd say it was excellent, and can say with absolute certainty that I have no intention of watching it ever again.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

I binged it last night too. Coogan was great, a lot of people on Twitter saying he lost the accent quite a bit but i didn't think so. I thought Siobhan Finneran was great too as Beryl. Aye the bit with the morgue was wild, as was the bit with the wee boy and the Jim'll Fix It badge.

I watched the whole thing last night, had to pause in episode 2 when he was chatting with the girl that had been paralysed diving in the pool. Took me a while to work out what he was doing.

Ended up watching a couple of Gone Fishing that I hadn't seen then went back.

Horrific story brilliantly acted by Coogan, as others have said, he should win every award going for this, the rest of the cast are good also.

As a kid I found him creepy just because he dressed and looked so weird, I think I age with the boy scout given the badge but always thought he came over as very false and was never a fan of that programme

The number of signs there for the BBC, hospital management, Police etc to completely miss means he must have had help.

I didn't know about the mayor of Scarborough who had the ice cream shop, Googled him and wished I hadn't.

Today it'd back to Bob and Paul in my safe space.

38 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I started to watch it yesterday but gave up immediately after the first scene with those two young girls after the initial DJ session. 
Not sure I can bring myself to watch it having two young daughters. 
😢 

You'd probably never let them leave the house again.