France (A) - Tuesday 17/10/23

accies1874

I think I am just a little impatient. Can we just play them tomorrow. I just don't want to wait. We need to go again. 

Play Hickey as sweeper, he needs to be allowed to fulfil his potential. He has it covered. Left and right.

The McGregor/Gilmour partnership. Give it another go, they are nice to watch when they get the passing going.

Jacob Brown should get some game time, not seen enough of him. 

11 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I once got the nightbus from Glasgow to London, then London to Paris. It was the absolute fucking worst journey of my life.

I'm on the train from London to Glasgow thankfully, I thought I'd be able to sleep through the night on the bus not thinking about having to get off on the ferry and also going through border control.

16 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I think I am just a little impatient. Can we just play them tomorrow. I just don't want to wait. We need to go again. 

Play Hickey as sweeper, he needs to be allowed to fulfil his potential. He has it covered. Left and right.

The McGregor/Gilmour partnership. Give it another go, they are nice to watch when they get the passing going.

Jacob Brown should get some game time, not seen enough of him. 

If you're desperate for a fix, the Under 21s kick off against Hungary in 10 minutes or so, I believe it's live on the Scottish National Team Youtube channel.

I would like to a few different players to get a chance as much as the next person, but I think it's important not to forget the reason we've taken this game and so playing two difficult games back to back with core team members is still important.

To that end I'd like to see the best players to fit the game and whatever our game plan is.

Edited by 2426255

17 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I didn't realise he'd withdrawn, but I was surprised he was called up given his nasty-looking injury. I wouldn't have minded him getting called up otherwise. 

I actually think Taylor's looked pretty poor on his last few starts for Scotland, although I wanted him on ahead of Patterson last night due to how disciplined the wing-backs had to be against Spain's width. 

Taylor last started against Ukraine and he did really well.

Not sure when else he's started, friendlies maybe. Don't remember him ever letting us down

13 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I heard Billy Dodds saying he is expecting wholesale changes for the France game. I think he's way off the mark personally.

Yeah - I can’t see it. 

I do think Lewis Ferguson should start as part of looking towards the future. Outside that I don’t even want many other changes either - just the odd change from the other night in terms of players who often start anyway in Gilmour and Adams. 

Mbappe v Patterson will be eh, interesting. I would actually be fascinated to see how Hickey got on against him. 

18 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Mbappe v Patterson will be eh, interesting. I would actually be fascinated to see how Hickey got on against him. 

Clarke could still do that and use Taylor on the other side. I think there's more chance of France making wholesale changes than Scotland and it wouldn't be a surprise if Mbappe is one who sits out despite being captain. He was on the bench for France's recent friendly defeat to Germany in September and sat on the bench for 1 of France's 2 friendlies in Mar-22 against Ghana and South Africa.

8 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Clarke could still do that and use Taylor on the other side. I think there's more chance of France making wholesale changes than Scotland and it wouldn't be a surprise if Mbappe is one who sits out despite being captain. He was on the bench for France's recent friendly defeat to Germany in September and sat on the bench for 1 of France's 2 friendlies in Mar-22 against Ghana and South Africa.

He could yeah, but given our November fixtures will likely be Hickey and Patterson in the full back positions I imagine they will both start. 

I think at the time of the Germany game Mbappe might not have been playing for PSG?

On 13/10/2023 at 18:28, Richey Edwards said:

I once got the nightbus from Glasgow to London, then London to Paris. It was the absolute fucking worst journey of my life.

I've did similar. Edinburgh-London-Paris. The first bus seemed okay,  we had seats next to the toilet with a bit of extra legroom and settled in for the journey. We then hit Newcastle and two smackheads got on and sit across from us, they then proceed to rummage all night in bags, talk loudly in their droll junkie speak and jump in and out the toilet every half hour for various fixes. Suppose you had to admire their stamina for that constant hit. Not one iota of sleep was had when we got off at half six in the morning. I've done the Scotland-London bus at least a dozen times and twice had times like the above, cheap as f**k but you do get what you pay for, suppose that's why I've never did the return journey, always get the train.

21 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I've did similar. Edinburgh-London-Paris. The first bus seemed okay,  we had seats next to the toilet with a bit of extra legroom and settled in for the journey. We then hit Newcastle and two smackheads got on and sit across from us, they then proceed to rummage all night in bags, talk loudly in their droll junkie speak and jump in and out the toilet every half hour for various fixes. Suppose you had to admire their stamina for that constant hit. Not one iota of sleep was had when we got off at half six in the morning. I've done the Scotland-London bus at least a dozen times and twice had times like the above, cheap as f**k but you do get what you pay for, suppose that's why I've never did the return journey, always get the train.

I only got the bus because it was cheap. Absolutely zero sleep was had, as both buses had uncomfortable seats and were full of noisy twats.

I had been awake for two full days by the time I arrived at my destination. I was comatose in bed minutes later.

I don’t see many changes being made. You don’t arrange friendlies to ‘test yourselves’ and then change the team wholesale.

We could quite easily be beaten irrespective of what we do, but protecting what momentum we can, and continuing to grow the side is the priority.

If capping a goalkeeper was the priority, we’d be playing Lithuania/Bulgaria/Estonia/whoever.

Perhaps a start for Ferguson, and/or more minutes for a couple of subs that aren’t just the normal swaps (Armstrong/McLean/Adams etc) might be possible.