France (A) - Tuesday 17/10/23

accies1874

We could go into this game having already qualified, but I am kind of dreading it. I'm sure Clarke will look at it as another opportunity to test ourselves against an elite side, the best in Europe and maybe the world, however I can't say it's all that interesting to me as a fan having just played two games against Europe's best. 

Not sure what the team will be like other than Patterson coming in for Robertson (will we call up a replacement for him?). I'd like to see Ferguson start but the longer turnaround between games might mean that we won't see too many changes. 

That Robertson injury looked like a broken arm or dislocated shoulder that could probably end his involvement in this group. With Tierney also out of the November qualifiers, I’d be tempted to pick up Josh Doig into the squad and see what he can do as well as giving Taylor 45 mins. We saw a big drop off from Hickey to Patterson so ideally we keep Hickey at RWB/RB in November and go with either Taylor or Doig.

I’d probably focus on giving minutes to the guys who aren’t in favour at their clubs and give those who are playing multiple games a week a bit of a rest. Some of the players looked leggy last night at times and we really don’t want to see anyone become injured or fatigued with two key qualifiers coming up in a month (key for seeding even if we already qualified)

Even our best available XI is likely to lose this game anyway so I wouldn’t bother taking chances

Gunn

Porteous-Cooper-McKenna

Patterson-McTominay-Gilmour-Taylor

Ferguson-Adams-Christie 

McGinn and McGregor get a rest for me giving their playing league and Europe atm. Could apply the same argument to Gilmour but he’s not an automatic pick for Brighton and could use some minutes. I’d rest Hendry as well given all the long haul flying he’s doing. The RWB change is more about giving Patterson the chance to play himself into form than Hickey particularly needing rested. 

Edited by Donathan

13 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

We could go into this game having already qualified, but I am kind of dreading it. I'm sure Clarke will look at it as another opportunity to test ourselves against an elite side, the best in Europe and maybe the world, however I can't say it's all that interesting to me as a fan having just played two games against Europe's best. 

Not sure what the team will be like other than Patterson coming in for Robertson (will we call up a replacement for him?). I'd like to see Ferguson start but the longer turnaround between games might mean that we won't see too many changes. 

I think in the long run it will help us, but short term it's hard to get up for, especially after last nights game. When we play in the Nations League the experience of playing back to back games against the best tier 1 nations will be excellent preparation.

Best case we are qualified by the time the game comes around which would give team and fans a boost and by Tuesday everyone will be buzzing again. Then we can just not care too much about the outcome and focus on putting in a strong performance. 

11 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Hopefully we call up Gauld in for Robertson. No better game to get a look at him than a friendly

Aye that’s what’s going to happen. An attacking midfielder will be asked to take a transatlantic flight to play in a friendly match because a left back is injured.

If there’s any call ups at all it would be Doig or Kingsley or even Ralston. But most likely we just play with what we’ve got. 

Edited by Donathan

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

Gunn

Porteous-Cooper-McKenna

Patterson-McTominay-Gilmour-Taylor

Ferguson-Adams-Christie 

Only change I'd make with this side is Hendry over Cooper.  I think will want to keep his back three together and give them another tough test. 

Would be good to see Ferguson given a proper run.  He's been tremendously unlucky not to break into the Scotland side given his form in Italy.  You'd think there'd be times when one or two of the regulars would be injured, but the likes of McGinn, Christie, McTominay, Armstrong have always been there, and Clarke trusts them massively, it's been shite luck for Lewis.  He deserves an opportunity. 

Cautiously optimistic about this one. I don't think the boys deserved anything worse than a draw last night, which is really quite a significant thing to be able to say when we're talking about a competitive away game against Spain. I'm sure the players will all be absolutely fired up to try and make a bit of a statement after such a frustrating experience  and who knows, maybe they'll manage to make something happen here.

Edited by Kevin Finnerty

For this game I think the best way to approach it is by having to drink whenever France have the ball and putting the bottle down whenever Scotland have the ball. See where we end up after that.

Edited by 2426255

Would rather we stick with Hickey and Patterson, assuming Robertson is out for next month then I'd rather Hickey gets some exposure at left wing back and more game time with whoever (presumably McKenna) is likely to be playing LCB away to Georgia. Otherwise would go exactly with @Donathan except also would rather Hendry started. 

No idea how seriously the French are taking this but if there's a chance Mbappe starts I'd be starting Hickey on the right and bringing Taylor in.

After playing Craig Gordon for 90mins in Turkey last year with 2 goalies with 0 caps on the bench I don't see much chance of Clarke making a huge number of changes.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

13 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

I'd unironically rather play Gauld at left-back than Taylor. He's rotten.

Taylor isn’t rotten at all. He’s not as good as Robertson or Tierney or even Hickey, but he’s a very solid Scottish Premiership level player. 

8 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Taylor isn’t rotten at all. He’s not as good as Robertson or Tierney or even Hickey, but he’s a very solid Scottish Premiership level player. 

Taylor is one I just don't get, regarding the slagging he takes. I've never witnessed anything other than decent to good performances from him. And he's a competent and committed defender. The way folk talk about him baffles me. No world beater sure, but no way is he out of place in our squad*

*Taking into account that the drop off to being third best left back in Scotlands squad is like being the third best boxer in the Klitschko family

5 hours ago, Donathan said:

That Robertson injury looked like a broken arm or dislocated shoulder that could probably end his involvement in this group. With Tierney also out of the November qualifiers, I’d be tempted to pick up Josh Doig into the squad and see what he can do as well as giving Taylor 45 mins.

Doig pulled out of the U21 squad with an injury, he hasn't played for Verona for a few weeks.

11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Doig pulled out of the U21 squad with an injury, he hasn't played for Verona for a few weeks.

I didn't realise he'd withdrawn, but I was surprised he was called up given his nasty-looking injury. I wouldn't have minded him getting called up otherwise. 

14 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Taylor is one I just don't get, regarding the slagging he takes. I've never witnessed anything other than decent to good performances from him. And he's a competent and committed defender. The way folk talk about him baffles me. No world beater sure, but no way is he out of place in our squad*

*Taking into account that the drop off to being third best left back in Scotlands squad is like being the third best boxer in the Klitschko family

I actually think Taylor's looked pretty poor on his last few starts for Scotland, although I wanted him on ahead of Patterson last night due to how disciplined the wing-backs had to be against Spain's width.