France (A) - Tuesday 17/10/23

accies1874

1 minute ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Could we another keeper given some game time tonight? I doubt from the start though.

While I'm not one for capping for the sake of it. IF Gunn gets injured towards the end of the season we could go into the Euros with the only goalkeeping options all uncapped. (if Gordon isn't fit by then)

Gunn has done well since coming in, often in games barely tested but looks assured. I also don't think the likes of Clark are anywhere near his level either. Let's just hope he does stay fit!

I think Clark or Kelly would be shite whether they're making their debut or not. 

In terms of momentum our qualification will rightly trump the results in the two games of this window.

It's good for momentum and we can then look to build from that in November, but this game from a public facing point of view won't face a hard judgement no matter how it plays out which is helpful given how tough the run of fixtures have been - something you'd be mad to do if the team wasn't in such a good place. 

The defeat to Spain was only a pinp***k and tonight will be similar if things don't go smoothly.

Edited by 2426255

As much as it be nice to give clarke or kelly a cap i'd rather they kept Gunn in and gave him the experience of playing a team we might well come up against in the tournament.

Giving players like ferguson some minutes makes more sense as he can offer something to the team imo.

Gunn to start.

Kelly for Gunn sub (91mins)

Clark for Kelly sub (93mins)

Thank you. 

Even as a Motherwell fan, I know fine well that Kelly is nothing more than a solid Scottish Premiership level goalkeeper.  The same applies for Clark.  We don't have anyone else at the minute who could be in the squad, so I suppose giving them a token cap in a friendly is a nice gesture.  They're absolutely good enough, however, for where we're looking to be.  We just need to hope that nothing happens to Gunn in the next 8-9 months.

According to the Guardian, John McGinn and Ryan Porteous are carrying knocks and so might not start. Not sure where they have received that information from, but if those two aren't starting tonight it would be a potential explanation. 

Clarke will be without the injured Andy Robertson and Aaron Hickey for the game in France. Ryan Porteous and John McGinn are carrying knocks which are likely to see them among the substitutes. Bologna’s Lewis Ferguson will start for the visitors in midfield.

The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/16/steve-clarke-was-100-confident-scotland-would-qualify-for-euro-2024

Edited by 2426255

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think Scott Burns has any inside track to Steve Clarke or his coaching staff the way he does with other managers around the country, so I think this is pure guesswork.

Yeah I just thought it was worth sharing after I mentioned it then seen his post immediately after. 

I have my doubts about them both getting game time anyway. If anything one may get the second half. Gunn likely to start you'd think. A step too far away to France friendly or not leaving Gunn out completely with few other senior players are already out or at least a doubt as well.

Hopefully not just a backs to the wall job and we can control the game at least a little bit at the start with the ball when the game is fully competitive. That's all I'm looking for, something to build on.

Edited by 2426255