France (A) - Tuesday 17/10/23

accies1874

6 hours ago, Desp said:

Gunn to start.

Kelly for Gunn sub (91mins)

Clark for Kelly sub (93mins)

Thank you. 

Even as a Motherwell fan, I know fine well that Kelly is nothing more than a solid Scottish Premiership level goalkeeper.  The same applies for Clark.  We don't have anyone else at the minute who could be in the squad, so I suppose giving them a token cap in a friendly is a nice gesture.  They're absolutely good enough, however, for where we're looking to be.  We just need to hope that nothing happens to Gunn in the next 8-9 months.

Clark is anything but solid.  

Hopefully he’s in his “good” frame of mind, not his “I’ve never seen a football before” frame of mind if he gets on.  

Its a friendly, calm down.

We need to know if the likes of Kelly, Ferguson, Taylor and Patterson can play against this level of opposition with Clarke's game plan fo know if they can or cannot be trusted going into the Euros.

Its literally why we're playing them tonight. Bring them on.

Just now, Jacky1990 said:

Its a friendly, calm down.

We need to know if the likes of Kelly, Ferguson, Taylor and Patterson can play against this level of opposition with Clarke's game plan fo know if they can or cannot be trusted going into the Euros.

Its literally why we're playing them tonight. Bring them on.

Isn’t this the internal equivalent of what Wenger did in the League Cup?  Surely you learn a limited amount by playing irregularly used players against a side that will dominate us?

Does that tell us anything about how suited they are for Georgia/Norway, and then the likely opponents in March/June/July?

I am utterly bemused and equally terrified by this.

I would much rather use this is a test of how we can compete against the top (literally THE top) side in Europe, than a 6-0 hounding with a rotated side.

We have Euro 24 and League A Nations League. This should be our window into it (in this case, unlike the Spain game, we have nothing to lose at all.)

1 minute ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Isn’t this the internal equivalent of what Wenger did in the League Cup?  Surely you learn a limited amount by playing irregularly used players against a side that will dominate us?

Does that tell us anything about how suited they are for Georgia/Norway, and then the likely opponents in March/June/July?

Who cares about Georgia or Norway now?

Its all about the Euros and who can and cant be trusted in those games, especially games against the likes of France.

Time for someone to step up and try push into the frame for a start against the usual starters.

We'll lose. But Clarke will learn more about those players than he'd learn playing the same lined up as last week IMO.

Also a good opportunity to give guys who turn up every camp and barely get game time.

5 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

"Terrified" ffs a bit of perspective please, it's a friendly football match 🤐

3 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Who cares about Georgia or Norway now?

Its all about the Euros and who can and cant be trusted in those games, especially games against the likes of France.

Time for someone to step up and try push into the frame for a start against the usual starters.

We'll lose. But Clarke will learn more about those players than he'd learn playing the same lined up as last week IMO.

Also a good opportunity to give guys who turn up every camp and barely get game time.

Seriously ? the difference between being in pot 2 or pot 3 will be massively influential to us possibly getting out the group.

On 13/10/2023 at 22:19, Captain_Sensible said:

I think Clarke will give a lot of the guys on the bench a start

Gunn

Porteous Souttar Cooper

Patterson Gilmour McLean Hickey

McTominay Ferguson

Adams

With Armstrong, Brown & Taylor getting on from the bench 

I wasn’t far away with my prediction.

Porteous out instead of Souttar and I hadn’t anticipated the Hickey injury