Sending voice messages

throbber

So glad you brought this up. It needs addressed. My wife and several friends do it all the time. They don’t understand that:

a) I need to spend a few seconds downloading it

b) I then need to spend several minutes listen to them umming and aahing just to make a very basic point

Quicker for them. Waste of my fucking time. Get it in the bin.

On 08/08/2023 at 20:46, Ziggy Sobotka said:

Long winded voice messages on WhatsApp. They're getting longer and more frequent and when she's sent one when she's out and about, often sound like she's recorded it standing in the middle of the track at Silverstone.

9 minutes ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

Weirdly, anyone I know who does this is a woman. Not sure why that is, but my male friends and I all communicate via text rather than voice notes.

Any woman I've ever known hate to be Interrupted/corrected/interjected.

It's like a vocal TL;DR.

27 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

The kids go to swimming lessons on a Saturday afternoon and the lassie that runs it sends fucking rambling, 10 min voice messages on whatsapp that could easily be sent as text messages instead.

Maybe she has webbed or 'flipper'-type fingers. It's a bugger to use a phone keyboard when one is so encumbered.

3 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

So glad you brought this up. It needs addressed. My wife and several friends do it all the time. They don’t understand that:

a) I need to spend a few seconds downloading it

b) I then need to spend several minutes listen to them umming and aahing just to make a very basic point

Quicker for them. Waste of my fucking time. Get it in the bin.

My mrs got sent one from one of her newer friends who she doesn’t know all that well and thought the polite thing to do was to respond via a voice message even tho I told her just to text back, I could hear how awkward she was recording herself speaking, at the beginning she asked “how are you guys doing?” As if she’s going to get a response to that. It reminded me of holly willogughbys “first of all are you okay?”car crash. 

I so embarrassed for her and was just sitting there afterwards like:

IMG_6983.gif

4 hours ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

Weirdly, anyone I know who does this is a woman. Not sure why that is, but my male friends and I all communicate via text rather than voice notes.

Disagree. My best friend is a virile, masculine male and won’t stop voice messaging. Still, he used to try and actually call me for years until he caved in to my sociopathic tendencies. So I suppose voice messages are a marginal improvement 

I will sometimes send a voice note to a pal if I’ve got a story that would take ages to write or sometimes record our farts and send them to each other. Stuff like “up to much at the weekend?” or “how ye getting on?”general chat etc should be 100% conducted via text message. 

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

What does your hamster sound like?

I’ve sent voice notes in the past if it’s telling a story and I cba typing it, or if I’m walking or something, but they always end up longer than anticipated. Better than having to actually talk to someone on the phone though.