Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

The goalkeepers were allocated numbers 1 and 12 and the rest were then just listed in cap order for some reason. I recall the general amusement when McStay was announced as wearing No 3 as a result whilst Stewart McKimmie wore 9.

My earliest Scotland memory is the 3-0 dead rubber win against the USSR/CIS and wondering why Ally McCoist was wearing number 5.

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think those numbers are great.  I'm sure that some World Cup squads back in the day were numbered alphabetically, we should bring that back.

ETA - Holland in the 1974 world cup were alphabetical - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_FIFA_World_Cup_squads#Netherlands

Unless of course you are Johan Cruyff. In that case the alphabet organises itself around you, not the other way round!

Sorry, but these are 2 of the greatest kits of all time I'm afraid. That was my first Scotland top, and i have to say, my favorite one.

Euro 92 Rewind: Scotland v CIS - Sportscene Classics - Live - BBC Sport

I’m all in favour of oddball squad numbers as well, but I’m quite happy to to admit I’m in a tiny minority.  

As for the squad, going by those quotes it sounds like it’ll be a keeper and a centre back that drop out, rather than Doak.  

11 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

When is the under 21 squad announced?

Good to hear officially from Clarke that the under 21s is his standby squad for any additional injuries.

It's been announced. A good 5 at least of the names speculated for the full squad are in it.

18 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

As for the squad, going by those quotes it sounds like it’ll be a keeper and a centre back that drop out, rather than Doak.  

Which quotes are you reading as implying that?

Or is that your own conclusion having interpreted the "hopefully work with Doak a long time" stuff as meaning it's not going to be him?

Personally I think it will be either Kelly or Gordon (probably Kelly) and either Armstrong, Doak or Souttar (possibly Jack if his fitness isn't great but it was interesting Clarke suggested yesterday Jack has been fit for longer than Rangers are implying and just wasn't getting picked).

I'm going to be embarrassingly short on detail here but there was a period in the 90s when international hockey teams gave their numbers out purely by position. In terms of the whole team. Meaning a goalie would wear #1 but then the next goalie on the list...

Dominik Hasek Gallery | Trading Card Database

11 hours ago, SlayerX said:

The Ryan Fraser situation is hilarious. It's like a soap opera:

Fraser refuses to sign a short term Bournemouth contract so that he could play the final couple of games in the season, and try to help Bournemouth survive relegation from the EPL.

He joins Newcastle on a free. Hoping that he won't bump into Eddie Howe again, the manager he stabbed in the back.

Eddie is appointed Newcastle manager. 

Fraser pulls out of a Scotland squad citing injury. Only to be pictured training as normal with the Newcastle squad, whilst trying to get back into the good books of Eddie Howe.

Once Howe has gained the trust of the Newcastle players, he banishes Fraser from the first team squad, before sending him out on loan to Southampton.

For lack of loyalty and being untrustworthy he's torpedoed his Newcastle career as well as a chance to go to one of the biggest football tournaments in world football.

Good on Howe and Clarke.

PS: Plus he has one of those wee arrogant faces that you just want to slap.

Screenshot_20240523_003812_Firefox.jpg

Well according to some on here, apparently Clarke still loves him though

I get the impression that squad numbers thing is opening a whole can of worms. Someone's going to point out that the Danes used to allocate theirs by height, or Bolivia's squad were given numbers based on how far above sea level their mothers were when they were born.

...and then there's Germany in the Thirties  :shutup

12 hours ago, SlayerX said:

The Ryan Fraser situation is hilarious. It's like a soap opera:

Fraser refuses to sign a short term Bournemouth contract so that he could play the final couple of games in the season, and try to help Bournemouth survive relegation from the EPL.

He joins Newcastle on a free. Hoping that he won't bump into Eddie Howe again, the manager he stabbed in the back.

Eddie is appointed Newcastle manager. 

Fraser pulls out of a Scotland squad citing injury. Only to be pictured training as normal with the Newcastle squad, whilst trying to get back into the good books of Eddie Howe.

Once Howe has gained the trust of the Newcastle players, he banishes Fraser from the first team squad, before sending him out on loan to Southampton.

For lack of loyalty and being untrustworthy he's torpedoed his Newcastle career as well as a chance to go to one of the biggest football tournaments in world football.

Good on Howe and Clarke.

PS: Plus he has one of those wee arrogant faces that you just want to slap.

Screenshot_20240523_003812_Firefox.jpg

Judging from that interview Fraser just doesn't care much so I can see why Steve Clarke wouldn't bother when he has that attitude

4 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Sorry, but these are 2 of the greatest kits of all time I'm afraid. That was my first Scotland top, and i have to say, my favorite one.

was always of the view that this Scotland strip would have been up there as one of the very best if it were not for the white trim around collar and sleeves, as well as the larger white pocket on the button up collar. 

9 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I didn't know the policeman from Allo Allo played for CIS.

6 hours ago, jake. said:

Judging from that interview Fraser just doesn't care much so I can see why Steve Clarke wouldn't bother when he has that attitude

Yeah.

He's just a very selfish individual. Which is fine. No point pretending to be something you aren't.

I watched the "99" Amazon documentary on Manchester united's treble recently.

Ryan Fraser, and his type, wouldn't last 5 minutes in a team managed by SAF.

It's no surprise that Clarke has given him short shrift.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Re the CIS top.

The Adidas template of the early 90s with the three white stripes going down each arm is probably my favourite football template.

Liverpool had it, Rangers, Ireland had it, CIS, Sweden and France and Marseille.

Would love to see that template come back, especially now that Adidas are doing our strips.

Edited by SlayerX

10 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Agreed. I've got a good quality knock off of it from a dodgy Chinese website. 

All of our Umbro kits were GOATed. 

14 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Agreed. I've got a good quality knock off of it from a dodgy Chinese website. 

All of our Umbro kits were GOATed. 

I'm calling the police

Posted (edited)

Just trying to piece together the squad. I think Ben Doak is one that benefitted from the squad going up to 26 players. He isn't #27 or #28 in my view.

Spoiler

I’ve never had the chance to work closely with Ben, so it just seemed like the right opportunity to put him in. The squad going from 23 to 26 just made it something that I thought I should do so we’ll have a look at Ben and see how he does.

Steve Clarke

I think James Forrest is one of the last two players who made the 28. I think he's covering the injury to Stuart Armstrong - that's not provable, just an opinion.

Spoiler

You’re looking, you’re thinking ‘wow, James is back to maybe where he was three or four years ago’ which is a credit to him and something that I didn’t think I could overlook and that’s why he’s in the 28.

Steve Clarke

I think Ryan Jack was always going to be in it being a core member, certainly the 26, but maybe the 23 with Fergie out. I'm not sure who the 28th player is. I'd lean towards a centre-back personally rather than a goalkeeper.

Why? Clarke has hinted at keeping 4 goalkeepers based on similar reasoning to Nagelsmann. Clarke said the 28 man squad is to provide breathing space around fitness doubts. None of the keepers are injured, but Hanley and Souttar are concerns. Clarke said back in March that 7 CB's was probably too many. 

Edited by 2426255

If Clarke keeps 4 goalkeepers in his final squad, he and his advisors are fucking idiots and I would expect and hope journalists and media to take him to task over it.

If there was some 18 year old rookie in there you could maybe make a case for it but there isn't.