Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

4 hours ago, Doc Holiday said:

When will the squad numbers be announced or have they been already ?

Italia 90 stylie...

1. Craig Gordon
  2. Andrew Robertson
  3. John McGinn
  4. Callum McGregor
  5. Stuart Armstrong
  6. Scott McTominay
  7. Grant Hanley
  8. Ryan Christie
  9. Kieran Tierney
  10. Kenny McLean
  11. James Forrest
  12. Lyndon Dykes
  13. Scott McKenna
  14. Jack Hendry
  15. Ché Adams
  16. Billy Gilmour
  17. Liam Cooper
  18. Ryan Jack
  19. Greg Taylor
  20. Ryan Porteous
  21. Angus Gunn
  22. Lawrence Shankland
  23. Anthony Ralston
  24. Ross McCrorie
  25. Zander Clark
  26. Ben Doak

47 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Bear in mind that it's (unlikely but) possible to use 10 substitutes during a knockout round game. So you would need a minimum of 21 outfielders in the squad.

When you factor in the potential for injury and suspension you're going to need a pool of circa 26 to be able to fill the bench.

10 subs?

5 in normal time, an extra one in extra time. Potentially two concussion subs = 8. What have I missed?

56 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Bear in mind that it's (unlikely but) possible to use 10 substitutes during a knockout round game. So you would need a minimum of 21 outfielders in the squad.

When you factor in the potential for injury and suspension you're going to need a pool of circa 26 to be able to fill the bench.

That's part of the problem too. Should be 3 subs +concussion injuries. Maybe 1 in extra-time for knockout games if I'm being kind.

20 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

10 subs?

5 in normal time, an extra one in extra time. Potentially two concussion subs = 8. What have I missed?

If your opponent also uses two concussion subs, you get an extra two.

1. Angus Gunn
  2. Anthony Ralston 
  3. Andy Robertson 
  4. Scott McTominay
  5. Grant Hanley
  6. Kieran Tierney
  7. John McGinn
  8. Callum McGregor
  9. Lyndon Dykes
  10. Che Adams
  11. Ryan Christie
  12. Craig Gordon
  13. Jack Hendry
  14. Billy Gilmour
  15. Ryan Porteous
  16. Scott McKenna
  17. Stuart Armstrong
  18. James Forrest
  19. Lawrence Shankland 
  20. Ryan Jack
  21. Zander Clark
  22. Ross McCrorie 
  23. Kenny McLean
  24. Liam Cooper
  25. Greg Taylor
  26. Ben Doak

OUT - Kelly, Souttar 

4 hours ago, Doc Holiday said:

When will the squad numbers be announced or have they been already ?

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

You can probably guess 80% of them.  

Something that really annoyed me about watching England (other than the obvious) is how their squad numbers never matched up with their club squad members. Kane was 10 at Spurs but 9 for England. He couldn't be 10 because Sterling had that, but he was 7 for Man City. But 7 for England was Grealish and so on and so forth. 

Clarke mentioned on five live that he could dip into the under 21 squad if need be. With the likes of Hanley, Armstrong, Jack etc struggling for fitness and game time and possible injuries before the first game (hopefully not), it could open the door for the likes of Johnston, Doig, Barron or Conway.

The Ryan Fraser situation is hilarious. It's like a soap opera:

Fraser refuses to sign a short term Bournemouth contract so that he could play the final couple of games in the season, and try to help Bournemouth survive relegation from the EPL.

He joins Newcastle on a free. Hoping that he won't bump into Eddie Howe again, the manager he stabbed in the back.

Eddie is appointed Newcastle manager. 

Fraser pulls out of a Scotland squad citing injury. Only to be pictured training as normal with the Newcastle squad, whilst trying to get back into the good books of Eddie Howe.

Once Howe has gained the trust of the Newcastle players, he banishes Fraser from the first team squad, before sending him out on loan to Southampton.

For lack of loyalty and being untrustworthy he's torpedoed his Newcastle career as well as a chance to go to one of the biggest football tournaments in world football.

Good on Howe and Clarke.

PS: Plus he has one of those wee arrogant faces that you just want to slap.

Screenshot_20240523_003812_Firefox.jpg

20 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

"here Scotland, take your one tenth of coverage of anything that is important to you - proportionately you can't argue with that". 

You clearly can. And if national BBC coverage was all there was to be had you might have a point, albeit a porridge brained sub-MacGlashan point, but there are Scottish broadcast media channels as you well know but that doesn't really suit the b*****d English narrative. London based BBC caters for the various home nations proportionally about right. 

20 hours ago, SlayerX said:

And the thing is that people are fine with that.

A classic symptom of an inferiority complex and a bit of Stockholm syndrome.

Scotland has one tenth of the population of England. That's a statistical fact. Which I'm fine with. It's not a deliberate massaging of the population numbers to do down those rebellious Scots. Inferiority complex ? Stockholm syndrome ? I really do hope you're not a psychiatrist.

10 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Clarke mentioned on five live that he could dip into the under 21 squad if need be. With the likes of Hanley, Armstrong, Jack etc struggling for fitness and game time and possible injuries before the first game (hopefully not), it could open the door for the likes of Johnston, Doig, Barron or Conway.

Thanks for that heads up, it was quite a good interview, some insight and discussion. I transcribed just the 5 minute's involving Steve Clarke it if anyone wants to read it rather than listen, but thought the whole podcast was good and the journalist was interesting so would recommend.

Surprisingly, was probably more difficult than if it had just been a straight 23 and you would just have to deal with it and get on with it. You end up probably second guessing yourself a little bit and trying to make sure that you cover every single base or scenario, so you’re trying to look into the future - which is impossible to do. But you try and give yourself as much cover as you can and in as many positions as you can.

Yeah, so it should. Ben’s one of those players that as a coach you watch a game and you think ‘oh, he’s got something, that boys got a chance’. He’s obviously got blistering pace which hits you in eyes straight away. Anytime I’ve watched Ben play with the under-21’s you’re thinking ‘yeah, he’s definitely got something’. But you’re also looking at him as a young player with time to develop and he probably knows himself and he’s probably been told often enough that he’s got to add more to his game, he’s got to become a better player, but this just felt like the perfect opportunity, obviously on the back of a reasonably serious injury - he’s working his way back to fitness, the reports we have from Liverpool are that he’s going to be in a decent shape to join us so it’s a chance for me to have a look at Ben the player in training and also Ben the person in and around the squad and then from there we can hopefully work together for along time.

Yeah right back, right wing back. Ross has been playing there for his club side since January once he got over his injury issues which were quite significant after his move down from Aberdeen. Ross is a player that’s been in squads before, so I know him a little bit. We’re obviously missing two first choice right backs/right wing backs with Aaron and Nathan both picking up injuries, so it was just a chance to put someone else in. I also had the other option Max Johnston who’s had a decent season out in Austria with his club. I just felt looking at, what I’m thinking about the tournament this summer that Ross is a good fit for this summer. Max will be involved in the under-21’s and that can be my extra squad if you like, that can be my standby squad for any issues that we have. That under-21 squad that Scott will name tomorrow can be the standby for the tournament.

I think a great example to every professional player is James Forrest. Probably unlucky to lose his place in our squad initially because he picked up some injuries, he lost his place at his club – it would have been easy for him to spit the dummy out, but James didn’t do that. He stayed professional, he continued to work on his fitness, obviously got himself in a really good shape physically, mentally he’s had to stay strong and eventually with Brendan coming back he’s managed to work his way back into the Celtic starting lineup and his performances in recent weeks have grabbed my attention because he’s scoring goals, he’s creating goals, he’s working up and down the line, he looks as fit as he ever looked - so it just seemed like a logical pick.

Yep, I understand that and I think the players will understand that as well – they’re all good lads, they understand the scenario that two will have to drop out. I’ve been there myself where I’ve been pretty close to going to a major tournament so I understand how much it will hurt, but it’s a decision that’s got to be made. It’s got to be made, it’s got to be made by me because ultimately I’ll take advice from other people, but I’ll be the guy who makes the final choice. What I would say is that going into the last tournament I made a couple of difficult choices, similar, and I did it by phone and it still sits a little bit uncomfortably with me that I didn’t do it face to face. So at least this time when I do it will be a face to face conversation, it’ll be a difficult conversation, but will be face to face and we’ll just treat like two grown-ups.

More experience, definitely more experience – more caps. Better understanding maybe of the way we want to play, a better understanding of how we can impose ourselves on to games. Still not very good at friendlies – we’re not very good in friendly matches, but the competitive record’s really good. The qualifying campaign was good. I think we’ve improved. The proof in the pudding will be in what we go in Germany.

Steve Clarke

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0hznq4m

38 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

You clearly can. And if national BBC coverage was all there was to be had you might have a point, albeit a porridge brained sub-MacGlashan point, but there are Scottish broadcast media channels as you well know but that doesn't really suit the b*****d English narrative. London based BBC caters for the various home nations proportionally about right. 

if someone based in Scotland, wanted the same focus of discussion and time devoted to the announcement of the Scotland squad from Scottish media outlets that Sky Sports News, Talk Radio and BBC via all their sports outlets have devoted to the England squad, what media source would you suggest they turn to? 

The fact you have immediately referenced the b*****d English and MacGlashan in your response would seem to suggest that in your view anyone questioning the current set-up and wanting things to be a little better is an uber nationalist.  Quite the take. 

Och, I'll just be glad if we get a wee mention at some point. They media boys have an awful lot on their plates reporting on the proper nations without worrying about the like of us.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Check the nick of the Euro 92 Scotland squad numbers -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_1992_squads#Scotland

The goalkeepers were allocated numbers 1 and 12 and the rest were then just listed in cap order for some reason. I recall the general amusement when McStay was announced as wearing No 3 as a result whilst Stewart McKimmie wore 9.

EDIT - According to that Wiki list there are a couple of minor discrepancies to the caps order. Think they maybe played a friendly after squad numbers had been announced or something?

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Posted (edited)

I think those numbers are great.  I'm sure that some World Cup squads back in the day were numbered alphabetically, we should bring that back.

ETA - Holland in the 1974 world cup were alphabetical - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_FIFA_World_Cup_squads#Netherlands

Edited by ICTChris