Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

55 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

I would put Shankland, Nisbet and Stewart in the same category as a 'striker' rather than a 'forward' like Dykes and Adams I.e offers something different for a different style of play. More of a natural goal scorer. 

As your own table shows, Clarke has always called up either Shankland or Nisbet in his squads with the only exception being a period where Nisbet was injured and Shankland was languishing in Belgium. And in those cases he called up Brown/Stewart/Fraser as his fourth option before reverting back to Nisbet and Shankland as options again once they have sorted themselves out.

I'm not trying to argue with you, but I would suggest your own stats show that history DOES show that Clarke likes a different striker option more often than not.

Just have to agree to disagree as we're seeing things a bit differently and see what happens in the summer. No point debating it back and forth given it's just opinions and interpretations/categorizations and we don't know what the selection criteria is.

Edited by 2426255

I think I would currently go with

Gordon, (If he is not retired), Gunn, Clark

Hickey, Patterson, Porteous, Hendry, Cooper, McKenna, Tierney, Robertson

Gilmour, McGregor, McGinn, McTominay, Armstrong, Ferguson, McLean, Jack

Dykes, Adams, Christie, Shankland

The ones I have put in bold I am certain are already on the plane if fit. 

It will be interesting what the 3 current English players for Newcastle do (Anderson, Barnes and Livramento). As a Newcastle fan I believe all would all improve our squad. 

Also to see if Doak progresses.

That is the 23 I would go for just now if all fit and assuming no one else emerges (or become eligible)

2 hours ago, nessies long lost ghost said:

I think I would currently go with

Gordon, (If he is not retired), Gunn, Clark

Hickey, Patterson, Porteous, Hendry, Cooper, McKenna, Tierney, Robertson

Gilmour, McGregor, McGinn, McTominay, Armstrong, Ferguson, McLean, Jack

Dykes, Adams, Christie, Shankland

The ones I have put in bold I am certain are already on the plane if fit. 

It will be interesting what the 3 current English players for Newcastle do (Anderson, Barnes and Livramento). As a Newcastle fan I believe all would all improve our squad. 

Also to see if Doak progresses.

That is the 23 I would go for just now if all fit and assuming no one else emerges (or become eligible)

McLean is a cert, barring injury 

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'd still expect Grant Hanley to go if he is back fit and playing.

I'm not sure on Hanley - I think Hendry is better than him

He may still go though -  I think Porteous, Hendry, Cooper and Tierney are certs

Maybe one more from Hanley, Souttar and McKenna?

I’m prepared to bet my mortgage on McLean being included.  He’s never let us down, can play a few positions, and one of SC’s favourite subs to close out a match.  I suspect he’s also a positive presence around the squad.

I’d imagine there’s a couple of defenders, alongside Brown/Nisbet/Jack/Shankland who’ll end up missing out.  I’d say the midfield has been remarkably consistent across the last 12-18 months.  Only the likes of Turnbull and McCrorie have had more than one call up, but haven’t had any/real game time.

McTominay, McGregor, McGinn, Gilmour, Ferguson, McLean, and Armstrong are all dead certs.  According to Wikipedia, Anderson is the only midfielder we’ve called up in the last 12 months who didn’t make the last squad.  

We’ve played/called up a fair number of defenders, mainly due to injuries, and there not being as many out-and-out strongest options like we have in midfield.  A couple will lose out just simply because we’ll run out of spaces, and injury at the wrong time, or just struggling for fitness (Souttar, Cooper, McKenna, Doig, Taylor, Hanley).

I don’t see any names coming from left field in time for June.  The only plausible (we can debate how likely, fair, sensible, or justified separately) options would be Barnes and Doak.  Otherwise, it’s only a coin toss between a couple of defenders, and our much-of-a-muchness up front.

It would be a nice problem to have if someone could suddenly make a last ditch effort, but it looks unlikely.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

3 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

I’m prepared to bet my mortgage on McLean being included.  He’s never let us down, can play a few positions, and one of SC’s favourite subs to close out a match.  I suspect he’s also a positive presence around the squad.

I’d imagine there’s a couple of defenders, alongside Brown/Nisbet/Jack/Shankland who’ll end up missing out.  I’d say the midfield has been remarkably consistent across the last 12-18 months.  Only the likes of Turnbull and McCrorie have had more than one call up, but haven’t had any/real game time.

McTominay, McGregor, McGinn, Gilmour, Ferguson, McLean, and Armstrong are all dead certs.  According to Wikipedia, Anderson is the only midfielder we’ve called up in the last 12 months who didn’t make the last squad.  

We’ve played/called up a fair number of defenders, mainly due to injuries, and there not being as many out-and-out strongest options like we have in midfield.  A couple will lose out just simply because we’ll run out of spaces, and injury at the wrong time, or just struggling for fitness (Souttar, Cooper, McKenna, Doig, Taylor, Hanley).

I don’t see any names coming from left field in time for June.  The only plausible (we can debate how likely, fair, sensible, or justified separately) options would be Barnes and Doak.  Otherwise, it’s only a coin toss between a couple of defenders, and our much-of-a-muchness up front.

It would be a nice problem to have if someone could suddenly make a last ditch effort, but it looks unlikely.

I think the only other left field candidate aside from the two you mentioned could be for the 3rd striker spot. If someone like Ross Stewart, Fraser Hornsby or Oli McBurnie start banging them in during the next 6 months then they could have a real chance of making the plane.

5 hours ago, nessies long lost ghost said:

I'm not sure on Hanley - I think Hendry is better than him

He may still go though -  I think Porteous, Hendry, Cooper and Tierney are certs

Maybe one more from Hanley, Souttar and McKenna?

If Hanley is fit and playing for Norwich he'll go. And he'll likely start. He's not competing with Hendry for a spot really even if you do think Hendry's better. 

I've no idea why you've bracketed Cooper as a cert either. Its pretty clear he's currently our 6th choice centre back at best (assuming he's ahead of Souttar and McTominay's no longer in that mix). He may move ahead of McKenna if McKenna isnt playing club football but he's certainly not a cert right now.

14 hours ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

I think the only other left field candidate aside from the two you mentioned could be for the 3rd striker spot. If someone like Ross Stewart, Fraser Hornsby or Oli McBurnie start banging them in during the next 6 months then they could have a real chance of making the plane.

I'd bite your hand off for a striker to start scoring.  It's quite amazing how few we currently have, pretty much at any level (youth teams aside).

18 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Agreed about Mclean being a certainty. I think the only current midfielder we have that is on the cusp is Ryan Jack. If someone is getting bumped from our squad in midfield then it will be him.

1 hour ago, nessies long lost ghost said:

What happened to James Forrest - I noticed he was playing tonight for Celtic

A few years ago he was playing really well and no he seems to be no where near the Scotland set up

Did he get injured or just fall out of favour?

Anyone know?

You'd be quicker listing the games he HAS been fit for since Covid! 

2 hours ago, nessies long lost ghost said:

What happened to James Forrest - I noticed he was playing tonight for Celtic

A few years ago he was playing really well and no he seems to be no where near the Scotland set up

Did he get injured or just fall out of favour?

Anyone know?

( way ) down the pecking order

I want to see if "goalscoring form 🤤" is something decisive in the selection process for the SNT for March and then separately for June. So I've started recording the minutes and goals scored by the players mentioned in this thread and see what that throws up. I don't think it's particularly important going into it, a one-dimensional way to look at it - so that's my bias, but I guess we'll see.

image.png.7002dc1111f4b9d07c350a0562fbe093.png

Obviously Christie, Dykes and Adams are probably going to be selected regardless if fit, but just included them for completeness and comparison.

Edited by 2426255

4 hours ago, TheScarf said:

What if Ryan Hardie bangs in 20 in the SkyBet this season? He's on 6 at the moment.  Surely he's on the plane before the likes of Shankland and Stewart?

There's probably something to be said for form and experience.  I'm not sure 20 goals in the Championship for a player unknown/unproven at international level is going to be enough to get in ahead of more experience players of a very similar (if not better) level.

Having a solid/good/decent season at the Championship is not going to be enough if you haven't already been in the squad by now.

3 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

There's probably something to be said for form and experience.  I'm not sure 20 goals in the Championship for a player unknown/unproven at international level is going to be enough to get in ahead of more experience players of a very similar (if not better) level.

Having a solid/good/decent season at the Championship is not going to be enough if you haven't already been in the squad by now.

That logic will exclude Ross Stewart from any future conversation about the squad for the finals then.