Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

He's still playing against decent forwards in that league tbf. 

Yeah I'm intrigued to know the standard... I know Mitrovic, Milinkovic-Savic, Ronaldo and others (Jota, lol) have gone there, but is it actually that competitive? I guess the standard of facilities and probably coaches is actually quite high. But the last league to really do this (China) ended up with decent-mid level Australians, then the likes of Oscar (I think) just stagnating? I guess there's an argument that those players may have reached those levels naturally in other leagues 

6 hours ago, Stylish Kid said:

Any ideas at what point Jack Hendry playing in. retirement League is going to cause issues?

If it affects his performance for the National team. I don't see any reason to make it more complicated than that. Hendry is one of the core team members, not on the fringes.

You've got to identify a core group that you say I'm going to pick them all the time, no matter what - even if they're not playing at their clubs and I've been pretty consistent in selection because the same messages passed to that group of players when they come, so you can change 4 or 5 maybe round about the periphery, but to keep that core group together I think was key.

Steve Clarke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB92B9xxeEQ&t=226s

Then if you look at his competition it would probably take a lot for it to be an issue. He might not always start games, but I think until the Euro's he'll be selected and playing in Saudi won't matter. After that? not certain, but still I'd expect him to be a part until he is outperformed by someone else. I think the squad will drop a few of the core after Euro-2024, but Hendry isn't one I'd expect - maybe Cooper or possibly Hanley.

image.png.3d10dfab4fe9b5ecc09ef2cc19ef16fb.png

Therefore, my conclusion is that Jack Hendry will continue to be selected at least up to and including Euro-2024 and probably in the foreseeable future (Nations League), despite playing in a retirement league and it will depend on his performance levels in training and when selected as to how much game time he gets.

Edited by 2426255

On 16/11/2023 at 14:09, Skyline Drifter said:

Hearts will effectively decide who the goalkeepers are. That and whether Craig Gordon actually wants to go (but I've seen no suggestion that he doesn't). We're not taking two Hearts keepers to Germany. If Craig Gordon comes back in the next month or two, wins his first team spot back and Clark returns to the bench then Gordon will be in the squad if he wants to be and Kelly will be the 3rd keeper (unless Clark goes out on loan in January to play games). If Clark retains his Hearts spot it finishes Craig Gordon internationally and Clark and Kelly will go as backup to Gunn assuming none are injured. McCrorie will get the shout if either of the non Hearts keepers do get injured.

On 17/11/2023 at 07:52, Stylish Kid said:

R.e. Goalies, I don't think it's a done deal that there won't be 2 hearts goalies. McRorie is in the squad sometimes despite playing diddly squat for Rangers. 

Gordon's comeback is of huge uncertainty - the guy is 40 and will have had a year out after a bad injury. 

Gordon back on the bench last night and certainly talking up his intent to make the Euros squad.

I still think it's unlikely we'll take both Gordon and Clark unless they're effectively alternating for Hearts but Liam Kelly's poor form with Motherwell may impact that.

31 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Gordon back on the bench last night and certainly talking up his intent to make the Euros squad.

I still think it's unlikely we'll take both Gordon and Clark unless they're effectively alternating for Hearts but Liam Kelly's poor form with Motherwell may impact that.

They were chewing over this idea on Clyde-1 SSB last night. One possibility suggested was one of them could go out for a short term loan in January. It's something I hadn't considered, but might be a solution if Hearts can recall at short notice in case of injury. 

17 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

They were chewing over this idea on Clyde-1 SSB last night. One possibility suggested was one of them could go out for a short term loan in January. It's something I hadn't considered, but might be a solution if Hearts can recall at short notice in case of injury. 

Pretty sure I suggested that earlier in this thread. That whichever one isnt playing in January will need to persuade Naismith to let them out on loan to have any chance of going to Germany. 

You can always emergency recall a keeper for 7 days at a time if short of experienced replacements. We had Murray Johnson on loan from Hibs earlier this season and Hibs recalled him due to Marshall and Wollacot getting injured.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

While the likes of McBurnie, Cairney, Burke, Fleck etc will ordinarily be nowhere near the squad, I'd imagine Clarke will be asking questions about their availability should there be an injury crisis that means we lose a fee of our nailed on guys. Same goes for Fraser and anyone else who's not shown much interest in recent times. Don't want to be in a position again where we have to ask our squad members if they have any brothers that can join the squad to make up the numbers...

3 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

While the likes of McBurnie, Cairney, Burke, Fleck etc will ordinarily be nowhere near the squad, I'd imagine Clarke will be asking questions about their availability should there be an injury crisis that means we lose a fee of our nailed on guys. Same goes for Fraser and anyone else who's not shown much interest in recent times. Don't want to be in a position again where we have to ask our squad members if they have any brothers that can join the squad to make up the numbers...

I don't think that'll be required. 35 players have been called up across 2023 if you include Elliot Anderson (Included more for completeness), Max Johnston and Ross McCrorie. That doesn't include Craig Gordon, Ross Stewart, Ryan Fraser, David Turnbull or Calvin Ramsay who were all last called up in 2022.

If you include all of them that leaves you can choose from 5 Goalkeepers, 8 Centre-Backs, 9 Full Backs, 10 Midfielders and 8 Strikers (with numerous players capable of covering multiple positions). I don't therefore think we will run out of players to the extent where it will be necessary to call up Cairney, Fleck, Burke or McBurnie. Fraser probably unlikely also, but less so. 

As I understand it the clubs receive emails from the SFA saying their players are under consideration for selection. It wouldn't surprise me if Cairney, Fleck, McBurnie and Burke were still on that email list, but I think that would be the extent of it.

Spoiler

image.png.fcafa9fa5bbd5af5fecf0bc287469810.png

Edited by 2426255

5 hours ago, 2426255 said:

As I understand it the clubs receive emails from the SFA saying their players are under consideration for selection. It wouldn't surprise me if Cairney, Fleck, McBurnie and Burke were still on that email list, but I think that would be the extent of it.

They do but only a couple of weeks ahead of selection. It may be different for a major tournament though.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They do but only a couple of weeks ahead of selection. It may be different for a major tournament though.

The summer is always a bit more complicated due to the staggered finishing date of the leagues our players play in, but I don't see why the selection process would take a different form to any other camp.

Edited by 2426255

That's week two of our strikers "goalscoring form" completed. Jacob Brown is currently doing well as is Kevin Nisbet. Ben Doak hasn't had any game time. I added in Fraser Hornby and Ryan Hardie and added in a column for penalty's.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.bec0a99c613305539d267ce5777da124.png

7 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

Good work.

Much as I like the big lad Hornby, it would be a miraculous second half of the season that saw him get in the squad.

I think if he was to smash in ten goals in Bundesliga between now and March friendlies, I cant see anyone having an issue with him being called up in those games. And by default, anyone called up in those games has a very good chance of making final squad. That's why, I think for our strikers, if one can get some really good form, I think they will be in with best chance of last spot.

Hornby to actually score ten goals though? Miraculous indeed