Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

If the rationale behind taking 4 keepers is to do with making training games easier then why can’t we just take Kelly as a “first reserve” to train, but not have him in the official 26? 

If we lose a keeper to injury he’d be getting called up mid tournament anyway.

1 minute ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

If the rationale behind taking 4 keepers is to do with making training games easier then why can’t we just take Kelly as a “first reserve” to train, but not have him in the official 26? 

If we lose a keeper to injury he’d be getting called up mid tournament anyway.

Not sure how he would feel about coming over to Germany away from his family and friends for the summer to be an unofficial training cone but maybe.

I still wouldn't pick four keepers though.

Taking four keepers would be strange but it ultimately doesn’t really matter who our 26th man is. Taking Liam Kelly over Grant Hanley or Ryan Jack isn’t going to be the difference in qualifying for the knockouts or not.

No team is going to use that many players, unless if it’s to give everyone a run out in the third group game. France are only taking 25.

4 hours ago, The Algebraist said:

Not sure how he would feel about coming over to Germany away from his family and friends for the summer to be an unofficial training cone but maybe.

I still wouldn't pick four keepers though.

Lots of people are paying a fortune to travel to Germany away from (or with) our family and friends to sit in the stands or even watch it in pubs etc.

Posted (edited)

Having such frivolous whinings about us having 4 keepers in the Euro 24 provisional squad is great.

I remember people moaning and whining about Scotland getting thumped and failing to qualify for tournaments, etc.

Let the good times roll!

Edited by SlayerX

Liam Kelly would absolutely bite your hand off to be an “unofficial” squad member. So would Robby McCrorie especially with his twin likely to be in the squad.

Taking 4 keepers in the main squad is daft. 

18 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Liam Kelly would absolutely bite your hand off to be an “unofficial” squad member. So would Robby McCrorie especially with his twin likely to be in the squad.

Taking 4 keepers in the main squad is daft. 

The way fans and managers think about squads are clearly different. Managers have to factor in real world elements that fans don't need to consider.

1 hour ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

SlayerX levels of insight there

Thanks. I'm not trying to be insightful and I accept your point that it's stating the obvious to the likes of yourself and I.

The Scotland squad is not simply the 26 best Scottish players available right now. That's not accepted by all: 'taking four goalkeepers is daft' or 'Steve Clarke's too loyal' viewpoints aren't considering that. There's more to building a squad than just football related elements - which as you suggested should be obvious to all.

38 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Thanks. I'm not trying to be insightful and I accept your point that it's stating the obvious to the likes of yourself and I.

The Scotland squad is not simply the 26 best Scottish players available right now. That's not accepted by all: 'taking four goalkeepers is daft' or 'Steve Clarke's too loyal' viewpoints aren't considering that. There's more to building a squad than just football related elements - which as you suggested should be obvious to all.

The fourth keepers thing is just a bit daft and overkill (that goes for all teams) if they're only used for training purposes. There's probably two of them that will work closely with the defence and the other two will be there to get shots taken at them or to give the main two keepers a 'rest' in training from time to time. 

This is what Steve Clarke said on the subject of four goalkeepers for anyone who may have missed it.

In a 26 man squad, as long as I feel I’ve got enough cover for all the other positions then it’s possible to take four goalkeepers. The logic behind it would say: the #3 goalkeeper or the one who becomes the third goalkeeper can get bombarded in training by doing too much, too much, too much. You can share the workload. I think Nagelsmann, the German coach actually touched on that a little bit as well because it can be a hard life being the third goalkeeper and everybody wants to have a shooting session after training and you’re doing that for near on a month. It’s a lot of work for one guy to cover so there is a case to take four, but there’s also a case to take three because maybe I have to cover more outfield positions and that’ll be one of the tough decisions. Also If you go with three goalkeepers at this stage and then you pick up a goalkeeping injury and you have a goalkeeper who hasn’t trained, who hasn’t worked.

Steve Clarke

So the logic is that with the increased squad size it might be possible to cover enough positions in the squad and still have room to make life easier for the goalkeepers. It shows to me that the squads going up to 26 wasn't essential for all the teams. For those teams you'll get these kind situations where teams can afford a fourth goalkeeper or only take 25 players.

I think it's fine if Clarke is considering the workload of the guys who aren't going to play much and the harmony of the group as a whole. Fans have a bee in their bonnet over this, but we're never going to use 26 players anyway. Clarke tend to use around 20 players during International camps so what's the big deal?

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Steve Clarke really is the master of saying absolutely nothing at all.  Which is fine, but you can never read anything into anything he says. 

He'll take four goalkeepers if he can cover all the positions in the squad. That's what he is saying, he is open to that idea. The final squad submission is still 2-weeks away, so who knows how things will change between then and now. It is indirectly telling us that he doesn't need 26 players if everyone is fit.

Clarke took four goalkeepers previously for the Jun-22 camp (Clark, Kelly, Gordon and Marshall) perhaps for different reasons if he knew in advance Marshall might retire and obviously also did it for the Mar-24 camp. Fans in general not being able to accept the idea isn't particularly surprising as they're not on the same wavelength as managers clearly, so it reinforces that idea too.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

He'll take four goalkeepers if he can cover all the positions in the squad. That's what he is saying, he is open to that idea. The final squad submission is still 2-weeks away, so who knows how things will change between then and now. It is indirectly telling us that he doesn't need 26 players if everyone is fit.

Whilst the last sentence is true, I cant help but feel the 'taking 4 keepers' benefit is exaggerated and more relates to avoiding the Kelly v Gordon decision if he feels there's enough outfield cover anyway.

17 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Whilst the last sentence is true, I cant help but feel the 'taking 4 keepers' benefit is exaggerated and more relates to avoiding the Kelly v Gordon decision if he feels there's enough outfield cover anyway.

That's the counter argument, I don't agree with that interpretation - but I accept it's a possibility that he's hedging his bets regarding the keepers. Avoiding a decision or a using Nagelsmanns idea as cover for doing that until he has to.

Posted (edited)

It's actually hysterical that people are still whinging about 4 keepers being in the provisional squad.

Even if Clarke does include 4 in his final squad, so what? It's not like there's some wonderkid out there being deprived a place in the 26.

Regardless, from the present 28 I'd drop Kelly and Armstrong.

Reasons being that one has decided to retire on the Rangers bench and one whose modus operandi is to collect the ball, dip his head down, and do a Forrest Gump impression by either running out of play or running into traffic.

Plus he cost Scotland a famous win against England. Which everyone instantly forgiven him for.

Edited by SlayerX

Posted (edited)

If you think it's bad to name four. Switzerland named five in their 38-man provisional squad.

Across Europe: Germany, Scotland, Switzerland, Italy, Slovenia, Serbia, England, Netherlands, Austria, Romania and Turkey (11) have named four goalies in their provisional squad. Germany have confirmed they will name 4 goalkeepers in their 26 man squad. Georgia, Ukraine and France have submitted their final squads already and each have 3 goalies although France have not taken 26 players.

Edited by 2426255

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

If you think it's bad to name four. Switzerland named five in their 38-man provisional squad.

Across Europe, Germany, Scotland, Switzerland, Italy, Slovenia, Serbia, England, Netherlands, Austria, Romania and Turkey (11) have named four goalies in their provisional squad. Germany have confirmed they will name 4 goalkeepers in their 26 man squad. Georgia, Ukraine and France have submitted their final squads already and each have 3 goalies.

Correct.

Let's break it down:

Things are good. Scotland are winning games, playing good football. The players are playing at a top level, some are even winning trophies.

Scotland are on the cusp of playing in one the major football tournament in world football. The opening game, no less.

The sky is blue

And yet there are some people are just doom and gloom merchants that want to see issues and trouble and rain clouds in the blanket blue sky.

Miserable sods.

Edited by SlayerX