Rangers v hibs

29 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Nonsense. The ‘OF’ fans get away with all sorts at every away ground in the country that fans of NO other club get away with. Even if you disregard the ‘big ticket’ items like the sectarianism, regularly, at St Mirren Park, if ONE St Mirren fan stands up, or heaven forbid, trys a fly puff on a cigarette, the stewards are all over it. Meanwhile in the away stand… 

Absolute nonsense to suggest otherwise. Citizens in this country attending football matches are treated entirely differently, if they follow two certain clubs, and tons of shit is indeed swept under a massive carpet.

My point was regarding incidents like yesterday, how often do Rangers (or Celtic) have such incidents pass by without criticism?

I just gave you an example of something similar and Rangers fans were pretty widely condemned for it, just as the Hibs fans of yesterday are.

I suppose my overriding point is, there seems to be many that give it the “those fans yesterday were out of order, but…”

It just diminishes any criticism with whataboutery.

Edited by AJF

35 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Nonsense. The ‘OF’ fans get away with all sorts at every away ground in the country that fans of NO other club get away with. Even if you disregard the ‘big ticket’ items like the sectarianism, regularly, at St Mirren Park, if ONE St Mirren fan stands up, or heaven forbid, trys a fly puff on a cigarette, the stewards are all over it. Meanwhile in the away stand… 

Absolute nonsense to suggest otherwise. Citizens in this country attending football matches are treated entirely differently, if they follow two certain clubs, and tons of shit is indeed swept under a massive carpet.

Sorry but  this is nonesense, it's not illegal to stand at a game (smoking is though) so it's two pretty different situations. There's plenty of seated sections in the lower leagues where people also stand so it's certainly not exclusive to two clubs. In fact even in the top league the Well Bois always stand do they not? Also away fans generally stand way more than home fans ffs.

I would agree however there are situations where people in larger crowds will get away with stuff but generally that is down to  the bigger picture of overall crowd control with Scotland games at Hampden being another example.

Edited by gannonball

35 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Standing in the home end is liable to block people's view - most people sit at home. In the away end, most people stand. That's fairly simple.

Cigarettes - I think a steward fancies their chances better in a crowd that is sitting than one that is standing.

It's not an OF thing (off to eat soap now after defending the OF...) - every decent away support can do practically whatever they want: Our fans got away with pyros and smoking at Ibrox, Celtic, Cove, etc.

43 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Keep cigarettes away from football. 

There probably is an element of truth in that the Police are more reluctant to wade into a large crowd but that's not the point that AFJ is making. Our fans do rightly receive condemnation when they step out of line,  like the horrific SS flag being displayed at Ibrox recently. 

Tbh I think as diddies we lose the moral high ground when we take issues like yesterday and turn it into an OF thing. 

This is about some wee boys who support hibs and have no filter in their pursuit of getting bites and attention. They need to understand that these things have consequences and isn’t all just a joke. 

Im not advocating violence at all but I do wonder if these kids are impacted by the social media age where you can write things on the internet without the risk that someone gives you a smack in the mouth. 

14 minutes ago, bennett said:

There probably is an element of truth in that the Police are more reluctant to wade into a large crowd but that's not the point that AFJ is making. Our fans do rightly receive condemnation when they step out of line,  like the horrific SS flag being displayed at Ibrox recently. 

Im sure the police have said numerous times before that wading into a crowd, especially a sizeable one, for one or two fans is likely to cause more trouble, instead they highlight said fan on cctv cameras and if they can't lift them after the match on the way out they try identify them and give them a nice wee morning wake up call asap

Can understand why given away supports can be moronic at times and instead of letting the doughballs be lifted in the crowd, they'd probably try fight the police instead

Differing treatment by the police based on the size of crowd is justifiable in genuinely dangerous situations that could incite violence etc. I don’t really have an issue with it, sectarian singing by an entire stand is one and really the footballing bodies need to do more about that. 

It’s more frustrating for Diddy clubs when it comes to stewards and police being jobsworths about standing up or blocking stairwells etc. these are measures that were actually designed predominantly full stands. A couple of hundred fans standing in an otherwise empty stand is no real risk and that’s when people get annoyed about this. 

2 hours ago, AJF said:

I don’t really agree with this.

The most recent example I can think of involving Rangers would be last season at ER when Rangers fans disrupted the tribute to Ron Gordon. It was, again, widely spoke about and condemned, particularly on here.

2 wrongs and all that. I was fucking disgusted with the graffiti and the stickers from what was a handful of idiots. likely to be in the 15-25 age bracket. 

At the risk of going all “old man shouts at cloud” I’ve been pretty annoyed at the behaviour of our young team for a while. Speaking to mates who follow other clubs they say it’s the same with their clubs. But that yesterday was inexcusable. 

1 hour ago, bennett said:

Jesus Christ. 

2 hours ago, AJF said:

I don’t really agree with this.

The most recent example I can think of involving Rangers would be last season at ER when Rangers fans disrupted the tribute to Ron Gordon. It was, again, widely spoke about and condemned, particularly on here.

I don't really want to get into this but I don't really remember the disruption of the Ron Gordon tribute being anywhere near spoken about or condemned as much as I thought it should be, neither at the time or in the aftermath.

After I'd processed what had sadly happened with Ron and turned to the football my heart sank when I saw our next fixture was against Rangers, not because I thought your fans as a whole would disrupt the tribute, but a sizable enough amount could be relied upon to act in a distasteful manner and so it proved to be.

It's hard to really put a barometer on it though, I don't really use social media or listen to Radio Scotland outside of Saturdays and whilst I lurk here I don't necessarily do so with a purpose so perhaps I missed it, but that left a really bad taste in my mouth, probably the most furious I've been about football and that includes our relegation.

As said before though people on P&B are generally very sensible relative to the norm so I think condemnation of such an event is implicit. One wrong doesn't invite another and all that. 

Nothing sensible can really be done to stop this kind of behaviour sadly, banning after the fact will help and dissuade others too but arseholes will appear and act distastefully from time to time, all we can do is condemn it and hope they reflect and change their behaviour as a result. 

I've perhaps drifted from the point, the kind of behaviour seen yesterday is despicable and hopefully they'll be punished appropriately by the club, the authorities and by their peers. 

9 minutes ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

I don't really want to get into this but I don't really remember the disruption of the Ron Gordon tribute being anywhere near spoken about or condemned as much as I thought it should be, neither at the time or in the aftermath.

After I'd processed what had sadly happened with Ron and turned to the football my heart sank when I saw our next fixture was against Rangers, not because I thought your fans as a whole would disrupt the tribute, but a sizable enough amount could be relied upon to act in a distasteful manner and so it proved to be.

It's hard to really put a barometer on it though, I don't really use social media or listen to Radio Scotland outside of Saturdays and whilst I lurk here I don't necessarily do so with a purpose so perhaps I missed it, but that left a really bad taste in my mouth, probably the most furious I've been about football and that includes our relegation.

As said before though people on P&B are generally very sensible relative to the norm so I think condemnation of such an event is implicit. One wrong doesn't invite another and all that. 

Nothing sensible can really be done to stop this kind of behaviour sadly, banning after the fact will help and dissuade others too but arseholes will appear and act distastefully from time to time, all we can do is condemn it and hope they reflect and change their behaviour as a result. 

I've perhaps drifted from the point, the kind of behaviour seen yesterday is despicable and hopefully they'll be punished appropriately by the club, the authorities and by their peers. 

Also how well controlled are away tickets, given that most away sections stand instead of sit and move around the place saying "he sat in row g seat 54" isnt exactly going to be spot on

Away fans are a nightmare for clubs to police probably, away tickets change hands often

3 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Im sure the police have said numerous times before that wading into a crowd, especially a sizeable one, for one or two fans is likely to cause more trouble, instead they highlight said fan on cctv cameras and if they can't lift them after the match on the way out they try identify them and give them a nice wee morning wake up call asap

Can understand why given away supports can be moronic at times and instead of letting the doughballs be lifted in the crowd, they'd probably try fight the police instead

We see this even more when European ultras come to Scotland and are given carte blanche to act however they like by the police, who are shit scared to stop them from setting off flares, taking up the road as they march to a ground, standing on seats etc.

All things that, if Hamilton Accies fans were doing, they would come down on them like a ton of bricks.

Whatever your politics, kind of similar with the Palestinian demonstrations yesterday. Make the police scared of you / outnumber them and you will find that they are surprisingly coy about stopping you ‘breaking the law’.

66 also represents the amount of brain cells between all of the diet green brigade. They're obviously quite proud of that. No excuse for the stickers though. Anyone over the age of 12 buying stickers is just weirdo behaviour imo.