Euro 2024 Travel arrangements

Connor7

Am I the only one mad enough to drive over?

Booked the ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam today, travelling overnight on 12th June. Then planning to drive down to Munich area, not sure if we will do it in all in one day or stop on the way.

Still to get accommodation finalised, looking at Airbnb, but having the car will give us a little bit of flexibility. 

We have no tickets for any of the games but the Mrs and my grown up sons are all coming, so looking forward to just getting into the whole atmosphere of Scotland being at a major finals combined with a family holiday. 

2 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Am I the only one mad enough to drive over?

No. I was considering it depending how the fixtures fell. As it turns out though I can only make one of our games, so am flying via Dublin. Plan was to take a tent if hotels were a problem and have the option for car kips if necessary. I know a few other folk planning on taking vans, equipped or otherwise. I even know a couple of boys planning on cycling and camping - nutters!

Anyone flying with Lufthansa, they have a train option on their website. Not booked it yet but 30euro each way to anywhere in Germany on day of flight, day before & day after flight, any DE train? 60euro return & should cover us getting from Frankfurt to Munich on 13th & Nuremberg to stuttgart on 23rd, then to Frankfurt Airport on 24th for home. Only leaves train to Cologne to book if I’m right?

3 hours ago, Derek68 said:

Anyone flying with Lufthansa, they have a train option on their website. Not booked it yet but 30euro each way to anywhere in Germany on day of flight, day before & day after flight, any DE train? 60euro return & should cover us getting from Frankfurt to Munich on 13th & Nuremberg to stuttgart on 23rd, then to Frankfurt Airport on 24th for home. Only leaves train to Cologne to book if I’m right?

Nice one I hadn't noticed that 

Just discovered that if you book 3 or more tickets for the same train on the DB website it applies a 20% "Friends Discount".

Therefore if you're booking for a group, any tickets under €37 will work out cheaper than waiting for the DB Euro 24 tickets going on sale next month.

2 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Just discovered that if you book 3 or more tickets for the same train on the DB website it applies a 20% "Friends Discount".

Therefore if you're booking for a group, any tickets under €37 will work out cheaper than waiting for the DB Euro 24 tickets going on sale next month.

Keen to get some train tickets booked.   Is it straightforward getting the 20% discount ie is it applied automatically when you make a booking for three or more? or do you have to look for it somewhere?

ETA - just noticed it comes up automatically

Edited by Caledonian1

13 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Train tickets for travelling on the 20th (day after the Switzerland game) now on sale.

For example, Cologne to Stuttgart from €19.90

image.thumb.png.30d83b40a626b46ef7d53900d6dc4ba4.png

Price of the train tickets have worked out decent. That might be because I've been jumping on bang at 11pm when they've gone on sale. Upgrading to 1st class hasn't cost much so done that for 2 of my trains.

Match tickets, accommodation, flights & now train tickets all sorted. Can relax and try to save up spending money from now till June

Got my train tickets sorted for the games in Munich and Cologne. Costing about £90 for both trips, no idea if I’m paying over the odds or not but I shat it. 

Got tickets for Romania v play off winner on 17th June, am I right in saying it’s free train travel if you have a match ticket? If so how do you go about getting that? Obviously I don’t have tickets yet. 

Just booked some cheap flights £130 return including a bag. via Geneva in Switzerland. It'll be a bit of a train/bus journey. But a hell of a lot cheaper than flying into Germany. Can get to Stuttgart and Munich within 6 hours or less either via Basel-Freiburg or Zurich. 

Still don't have tickets for any games. But I'll either have a nice holiday in Switzerland southern Germany or make a game or two. 

Is there anyone only travelling over for the Hungary game? If we had qualified for France 2016, I would be over for as long as were in the tournament but now mid 30s and 2 young kids complicates things. 

I’ve got a ticket for the Hungary game. Just trying to keep travel and accommodation as cheap as possible. I don’t want to miss out on experiencing this. 

On 24/12/2023 at 19:16, ayrunitedfw said:

Got my train tickets sorted for the games in Munich and Cologne. Costing about £90 for both trips, no idea if I’m paying over the odds or not but I shat it. 

Got tickets for Romania v play off winner on 17th June, am I right in saying it’s free train travel if you have a match ticket? If so how do you go about getting that? Obviously I don’t have tickets yet. 

No. You'll be able to buy two single tickets (to and from the host city) from €29.90 if you have a match ticket. You'll also receive 36 hours free public transport in the host city  (from 6am on match day till 6pm the following day).

On 23/12/2023 at 14:16, Lurkst said:

You got a link to that web site mate

Im travelling from Amsterdam

Thank you