Euro 2024 Travel arrangements

Connor7

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Final P.S. I don't see any point in buying an InterRail pass before the January discount date when you can book seats direct from Deutsche Bahn without buying a train ticket. I'm trying to cancel my order.

BTW I majorly fucked up with this, turns out the special 10% discount was for a pass that has to be used at the latest by the month following February 29th, instead of the standard 11 months. I didn't even know that it was a fucking leap year..:lol: 

This has been a roller-coaster. Appreciate you inviting P&B for the ride 😂

Been looking at the passes too, but since we fly in from Amsterdam may get the global pass, hanging on until I see their usual December sales

15 hours ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

This has been a roller-coaster. Appreciate you inviting P&B for the ride 😂

Been looking at the passes too, but since we fly in from Amsterdam may get the global pass, hanging on until I see their usual December sales

we are coming in that route as well interested in why that would make a difference in the type of passes you are thinking of buying? 

29 minutes ago, Center half said:

we are coming in that route as well interested in why that would make a difference in the type of passes you are thinking of buying? 

Germany pass only covers travel in Germany with a few exceptions, Amsterdam not being one of them.

We also don't have flights out booked yet so a global pass would allow us to get a train to anywhere for a flight home. Open to changing this to a Germany only pass though.

1 minute ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

So in the end you're buying a pass in January? 

Yup, if I can get the Euro 24 interrail pass onto the interrail app I can get all the cash back for the one I bought, otherwise I only get 85% back for cancelling it. I'll be reserving seats on DB as soon as they appear this month though, I didn't realise you can do that without a train ticket or Interrail pass, 4.50 euros per journey. By the way, it costs you 8 euros to reserve them on the Interrail site, the advice I've seen is booking on DB is more reliable and cheaper, the data on Interrail isn't always up to date.

3 hours ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Germany pass only covers travel in Germany with a few exceptions, Amsterdam not being one of them.

We also don't have flights out booked yet so a global pass would allow us to get a train to anywhere for a flight home. Open to changing this to a Germany only pass though.

Thanks for that , we are flying into Munich so German pass will suffice for us.  

Group of us is booked 15th-22nd June in Cologne, I got very lucky with a) being at a conference in Frankfurt the week before the Euros and b) booking free cancellation accommodation in Cologne months ago. Ended up with tickets for the 2nd and 3rd game, so still need to work out accommodation in Stuttgart for those two days, looks like options are really few and far between. 

Apologies if covered already ! 

I’m planning on travelling from Rotterdam to Cologne by train the morning before the Switzerland game - I’m assuming that means no free transport option ( on the German leg) as it’s too early for the 36 hour window ?

Secondly does anyone know a good website for booking this type of train journey? It’s maybe just too early to book for June ATM but I can’t seem to find any options so if anybody could give me any pointers or any tips on discounts etc would be greatly appreciated. 👍

11 hours ago, Stevie Kirk said:

Apologies if covered already ! 

I’m planning on travelling from Rotterdam to Cologne by train the morning before the Switzerland game - I’m assuming that means no free transport option ( on the German leg) as it’s too early for the 36 hour window ?

Secondly does anyone know a good website for booking this type of train journey? It’s maybe just too early to book for June ATM but I can’t seem to find any options so if anybody could give me any pointers or any tips on discounts etc would be greatly appreciated. 👍

You're right in there being no free transport for you that early. 

Preferably book on https://int.bahn.de/en or https://www.nsinternational.com/ these are the national carriers. The 2nd link you can even set reminder emails (I do one for the date before the day I want to travel too). 

Keep an eye on whether the official euro 2024 train deal end up adding a long distance service that would suit your trip. https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/event-guide/ticket-holders/

2 hours ago, Juan Mata said:

You're right in there being no free transport for you that early. 

Preferably book on https://int.bahn.de/en or https://www.nsinternational.com/ these are the national carriers. The 2nd link you can even set reminder emails (I do one for the date before the day I want to travel too). 

Keep an eye on whether the official euro 2024 train deal end up adding a long distance service that would suit your trip. https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/event-guide/ticket-holders/

That’s brilliant mate thankyou I really appreciate your help 👍

Land in Frankfurt on the 17th  and  return from there on the 24th. Got a air bnb in Zuplich  near Cologne for 5  nights for  7 of us. Will get the train from Frankfurt to Zuplich  ,stay there for 5 days then head to the Stuttgart area for 2 days before catching the train to Frankfurt Airport. Some of us have tickets ,couple dont ,  any ideas on the best train tickets to get  for these journeys?  Between sorting out our Munich trip and getting over the tiket sale ,my head is fried. So help a brother out Here😀

59 minutes ago, Mr Pikey said:

Land in Frankfurt on the 17th  and  return from there on the 24th. Got a air bnb in Zuplich  near Cologne for 5  nights for  7 of us. Will get the train from Frankfurt to Zuplich  ,stay there for 5 days then head to the Stuttgart area for 2 days before catching the train to Frankfurt Airport. Some of us have tickets ,couple dont ,  any ideas on the best train tickets to get  for these journeys?  Between sorting out our Munich trip and getting over the tiket sale ,my head is fried. So help a brother out Here😀

@Stellaboz is your man for local knowledge around Cologne. There's going to be a fan's pass that gives you free local travel on match days, and Deutsche Bahn are coming out with cheap deals on Jan 17th for long distance trains. I'd relax for a bit. :)

https://www.deutschebahn.com/en/presse/press_releases/Fan-offers-and-additional-seats-for-UEFA-EURO-2024-12531580

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Christ Zulpich is at least an hour from Koln main station and 3 and a half from Frankfurt. You're way out in the sticks there. Never been but heard its nice.

3and half hour train will fly by with us full of excitement and drink. koln will be just like going from Motherwell to Edinburgh, no big deal . There for 5 days , so 2 days with the Tartan Army ,3 days juking about the local area. Sounds good to me. Air bnb is cracking and cheap .And as you say its a nice place. Cannae wait.

Flying into Dusseldorf the day before the Swiss game and back the day after, was planning booking 2 nights (Tuesday and wed night) accommodation in Dusseldorf but any idea how easy it will be to get back to Dusseldorf after the game finishes given how late it will be when the match finishes? 

And any thoughts on an area in Dusseldorf to stay relatively handy for the train journeys and airport?

53 minutes ago, alonso said:

Flying into Dusseldorf the day before the Swiss game and back the day after, was planning booking 2 nights (Tuesday and wed night) accommodation in Dusseldorf but any idea how easy it will be to get back to Dusseldorf after the game finishes given how late it will be when the match finishes? 

And any thoughts on an area in Dusseldorf to stay relatively handy for the train journeys and airport?

I have been informed that trains run all night between Cologne and Dusseldorf. I've a room booked at the Holiday Inn Express Dusseldorf Hauptbahnhof so I'm hoping that's handy for the station 😀