Euro 2024 Travel arrangements

Connor7

1 hour ago, GhostZapper said:

If you have a match ticket, you'll be able to book the 30/40 euro one way special fares when they open up late Jan. You need a match ticket to do this though, as this will act in place of a rail card, and theres specific timings when you have to use them. IE match day and early hours of the next morning. Your journey needs to be completed by 10am the morning after the match. 

Travelling to the matches of the European Football Championship 2024 with the DB Ticket Euro 2024 (bahn.de)

It's a bit misleading but I think there's no limit on when those fares are available throughout the tournament. The way I read it, the 10am time limit is only if you're travelling on an overnight train.

4 hours ago, beesher said:

I've seen some flights that involve a 2-hour window to 'self transfer' (i.e. get through passport control, check back in and back through security).

Is 2 hours enough to do all that if I'm not checking in / collecting any baggage?

Plenty in my experience.

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

It's a bit misleading but I think there's no limit on when those fares are available throughout the tournament. The way I read it, the 10am time limit is only if you're travelling on an overnight train.

It's clear as mud, I don't think they've finalised the rules yet. I asked both UEFA and InterRail about specifics about the EURO 24 pass (different, I know), and they both said they didn't know and to check after Jan 17th.

49 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's clear as mud, I don't think they've finalised the rules yet. I asked both UEFA and InterRail about specifics about the EURO 24 pass (different, I know), and they both said they didn't know and to check after Jan 17th.

Agreed. Hence why I just booked straight from DB when they put the seats on sale.

3 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Agreed. Hence why I just booked straight from DB when they put the seats on sale.

Done the same, Dusseldorf - Munich return

Dusseldorf - Stuttgart return

Dusseldorf - Amsterdam single  

Just to sort Dusseldorf to Cologne 

26 minutes ago, vince sinclair said:

Done the same, Dusseldorf - Munich return

Dusseldorf - Stuttgart return

Dusseldorf - Amsterdam single  

Just to sort Dusseldorf to Cologne 

No need to book Düsseldorf <=> Köln in advance. There are 3-4 local (RE) trains every hour, which only take about 10 minutes more than the IC/ICE trains. With a match ticket in hand, then you'll be able to use all of the trains running. Journey time varies between 25 & 35 minutes.

If anyone’s looking for a flight back, Basel looks a decent option. 3hr from Stuttgart. 7pm BA flight to Heathrow and then onto Edinburgh or Glasgow that night for £170 total, hold bag included and transfer covered. 

I couldn’t find another option that gets you back to Scotland on the 24th for under £200 and doesn’t involve an early start.

On 05/01/2024 at 09:23, GhostZapper said:

For those looking at trains, the super saver tickets came on over the Christmas period. some of the ICE trains were bookable for 10-15 euros. Just mind add a 5 euro seat reservation on. Alternatively, if you travel in a group of 5+ you get a free group seating reservation. Managed to get all our trains booked out and back for the 3 matches from our base in Frankfurt for under 150£ per person. 

If you have a match ticket, you'll be able to book the 30/40 euro one way special fares when they open up late Jan. You need a match ticket to do this though, as this will act in place of a rail card, and theres specific timings when you have to use them. IE match day and early hours of the next morning. Your journey needs to be completed by 10am the morning after the match. 

Travelling to the matches of the European Football Championship 2024 with the DB Ticket Euro 2024 (bahn.de)

Remember as well, if you have a match ticket, on the day local transport is included with that. 

You may have misinterpreted the 10am part. I think it refers to onward travel on regional trains. 

3 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

If anyone’s looking for a flight back, Basel looks a decent option. 3hr from Stuttgart. 7pm BA flight to Heathrow and then onto Edinburgh or Glasgow that night for £170 total, hold bag included and transfer covered. 

I couldn’t find another option that gets you back to Scotland on the 24th for under £200 and doesn’t involve an early start.

Got Geneva to Edinburgh for 30 quid, but yeah needing to leave Stuttgart at 9am on the 24th to get there in time.

10 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Got Geneva to Edinburgh for 30 quid, but yeah needing to leave Stuttgart at 9am on the 24th to get there in time.

I wouldn’t trust all of our group to make that, especially if we win and qualify the night before!

Edited by lubo_blaha

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

I wouldn’t trust all of our group to make that, especially if we win and qualify the night before!

Indeed. The hotel is literally across the street from the station but it could be a challenge. I suspect there will be a lot of 😴 on the train to Zurich.

On 28/12/2023 at 19:23, shahid khan said:

Yes, mate. Having completely changed my plans when the draw was made me and the boy are going over for the last group game only. 

Birmingham to Stuttgart via Frankfurt. 21st-24th. Train from Frankfurt airport to Stuttgart Central included in the flight ticket from Lufthansa. 

Staying in a place called Renningen for the 3 nights, 20 mins direct train to Stuttgart. 

Just over £500, hand luggage only. Will obviously drive to Birmingham from Greenock. 

Thanks, appreciate the reply. I’ve been looking at possibly flying to Strasbourg or Zurich from Glasgow, Birmingham or Manchester which I can get for just over £200 then getting the train from there to Stuttgart. 

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Dunno how much time youd get in Basel but its a hidden gem of a city, absolutrly fantastic place to walk around.

It is. Expensive but a beautiful city. 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

On 06/01/2024 at 21:54, lubo_blaha said:

We managed to get flights from Frankfurt > Heathrow > Glasgow on the 24th for just under £200. Small matter of an hour and 15 min train journey from Stuttgart to Frankfurt Airport (direct) in the morning, but hopefully goes smoothly. BA have cancelled/changed our flight times on 3 occasions now but still all good, shit myself any time I see an update from them at the moment.

Just received an email about our stuttgart accommodation, apparently between the hotel and booking.com they have over booked our hotel by 150 rooms and they now want us to cancel our 4 night stay. Hotel is/was a 6 mins walk from the main train station 

21 minutes ago, martin ritchie said:

Just received an email about our stuttgart accommodation, apparently between the hotel and booking.com they have over booked our hotel by 150 rooms and they now want us to cancel our 4 night stay. Hotel is/was a 6 mins walk from the main train station 

AirBnB had a few good shouts for 4 nights in Stuttgart. We ended up going that way as hotel prices were extortionate. 

20 minutes ago, martin ritchie said:

7maF.gif

That's atrocious! Hope you get something else sorted out.

1 hour ago, martin ritchie said:

Which hotel was that? My hotel is about the same distance of a walk away from the station so concerned it could be ours!