Euro 2024 Travel arrangements

Connor7

On 23/10/2023 at 19:18, No_Problemo said:

I had a quick look and seems they can do what they want! Despite the fact I had booked a non refundable room, and couldn’t cancel myself.  It obviously isn’t a good look for them, but assuming they won’t be caring! When you think you will be safer booking through a bigger company as well… 

The cost to book now isn’t even hugely bigger or anything either! 

Just need to complain, tweet and leave them a shitty review. 

This set of posts has made me utterly shit myself - I have four rooms booked at that Ibis, but I’ve just checked and mine all seem to still be confirmed!

28 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I wonder if there will be a few stories doing the rounds about people who've had their Euro 2024 trips ruined because of accommodation issues or people just roughing in one form or another. I'd definitely be hedging my bets and expecting accommodation side cancellations.

I have little real interest in being there in person for the tournament, although one game would be decent. Part of the reason for that is having to deal with all the logistical crap.

I would imagine so, shelled out 800 quid for our airbnb (refundable till june) so wouldn't want caught out like that. I don't think there will be much of an issue with logistics in Germany, have you been before? I've always found it easy to get around compared to say Eastern Europe.

18 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

I would imagine so, shelled out 800 quid for our airbnb (refundable till june) so wouldn't want caught out like that. I don't think there will be much of an issue with logistics in Germany, have you been before? I've always found it easy to get around compared to say Eastern Europe.

Yeah, I've been. The last time was a few years back now - I have a pal who was born and lives there so could possibly get free accommodation. Still, I don't have any intention of going over there for the tournament though - I generally try to avoid big crowds and chaos. I don't remember experiencing the public transport there as I can only remember driving.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I wonder if there will be a few stories doing the rounds about people who've had their Euro 2024 trips ruined because of accommodation issues or people just roughing in one form or another. I'd definitely be hedging my bets and expecting accommodation side cancellations.

I've booked accommodation in a town not hosting any matches specifically to avoid this. 

2 hours ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

I'd keep that in reserve and look at accommodation again when the groups and games are announced.

Yeah that's the plan, reassess once we know the results of the ballot and where Scotland will be. I guess my one question would be, lets say Scotland's games are elsewhere like Munich or Berlin, are those places going to be a much better atmosphere in terms of fans that don't have tickets to the match, just because the game is at that specific stadium nearby? There's a chance I can get a ticket points wise but the group I'm going with definitely won't. 

7 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I've booked accommodation in a town not hosting any matches specifically to avoid this. 

This is the best way. I managed to get a hotel within an hour from three host cities and under two hours to two more by train. Averages out at under €80 a night for a twin room for two weeks. 

Booked two other hotels from the same chain in Stuttgart and Berlin to cover all bases although these were around double the price. All free cancellation of course.

2 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

We've booked right in the middle of the Country. Just train it in and out.

Best way imo. I booked everything in an excited rush just after the Spain win and plumped on Berlin just because everyone else was going for the Ruhr valley and tickets might be easier to come by for Berlin, Hamburg and Leipzig. If I'd taken my time I'd have gone for somewhere like Hanover or further south in case Stuttgart and Munich come into play. 

21 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

Yeah that's the plan, reassess once we know the results of the ballot and where Scotland will be. I guess my one question would be, lets say Scotland's games are elsewhere like Munich or Berlin, are those places going to be a much better atmosphere in terms of fans that don't have tickets to the match, just because the game is at that specific stadium nearby? There's a chance I can get a ticket points wise but the group I'm going with definitely won't. 

Yes, I would think so.

There will be a lot of day trippers going to the city on matchday, there will also be a lot of fans without tickets going to that city for a few days to be 'in the matchday atmosphere'.  Also like your group, 10 people go to the city but only 2 have match tickets.

Undoubtedly there will be some fans who stay in their base city on matchday, but I think the best plan is to head to the host city on matchday morning.

Depends on some other factors as well I guess, like how far away you are between cities, and cost etc.

13 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Best way imo. I booked everything in an excited rush just after the Spain win and plumped on Berlin just because everyone else was going for the Ruhr valley and tickets might be easier to come by for Berlin, Hamburg and Leipzig. If I'd taken my time I'd have gone for somewhere like Hanover or further south in case Stuttgart and Munich come into play. 

I think Berlin is actually a decent location for stuff to do football aside, one of the main reasons we went for it, cancellable though so if no games are anywhere near it will probs try a non host town / city as well. I couldn't be arsed with fans partying every night in a city anyway, sound old as f**k and I'm not even that old. 

Berlin would honestly be one of the last places I'd base myself. Even though it's the capital it's a bit meh from my experience and most of the matches are a fair trek.

I'm going to Munster because I know it well and the links are great, but I'd suggest other non-host cities such as...

Bremen, Heidelberg, Essen, and Hanover for more centrality to games and being pretty cool.

Booked up last night. Wife and kids coming so going for third set of matches and into the last 16 games as well (confident) due to annual leave and school for the kids. Staying in a Butlins type place near Venlo in Holland. An hour from Dusselsorf by train so will be hoping for tickets in that region. Means me and the boy can travel into Germany for matches/fanzones and wife and our youngest can stay in the quieter camp. Going Hull to Rotterdam and driving 2 hours (ish) to Venlo. Buzzing for it. 

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

Berlin would honestly be one of the last places I'd base myself. Even though it's the capital it's a bit meh from my experience and most of the matches are a fair trek.

I can't say I've experienced all of Germany by any means (Hamburg, Munich and Berlin, latter two multiple times) but I'd agree on Berlin especially.  It's a lovely city, course it is, but it doesn't feel particularly special in the way I'd like it to as somewhere to visit.  Shite way to put it probably, but just seems like a modern city, without any of the extra bits that make certain modern cities much more worth visiting.  Munich on the other hand I really loved, as it seemed like a more traditional German city with all the bierhalles, the Englischergarten and all that. If I was choosing between them, I definitely wouldn't choose Berlin, unless you were absolutely set on just visiting and needing other stuff to do.

3 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I'm going to Munster because I know it well and the links are great, but I'd suggest other non-host cities such as...

Bremen, Heidelberg, Essen, and Hanover for more centrality to games and being pretty cool.

Had to double take this as that would be an absolutely inspired piece of geo-knowledge if getting to the games from Cork was as good as any of the links from inside Germany. 

12 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Had to double take this as that would be an absolutely inspired piece of geo-knowledge if getting to the games from Cork was as good as any of the links from inside Germany. 

Not so much Cork but Dublin might be handy.

Ryanair

Berlin Brandenburg
Cologne
Frankfurt Hahn
Hamburg
Leipzig
Memmingen
Nuremberg

Air Lingus

Berlin

Dusseldorf

Frankfurt

Hamburg

Munich

5 hours ago, Jeff Venom said:

Just add an umlaut.

262125-Ruhr-Region.jpeg