Euro 2024 Travel arrangements

Connor7

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You're better off booking direct through DB, it's cheaper and the timetables are more up to date. Reservations are optional but are thrown in free for first class. 

ah yeah. it's only for international trains that reservations are required.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Roughly in the same boat as you in that I have the Interrail pass but unsure whether to pay to book a seat or not. The main issue is that I'm flying into Cologne tomorrow and don't want to lose the money if the flight gets delayed or I get held up at the airport with luggage etc. For all my other trips I'll be able to much more easily plan in advance, do people think it's worth booking for these? Leaning towards yes.

Seat Reservations are relatively inexpensive. I'd do it.

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

This, I slept in for my flight from Hamburg home once and had to ICE train it to Berlin which was expensive enough without also paying for a new flight.  

When looking at the options this was considerably better than the others I saw about €125 etc

PXL_20230402_105908068.jpg

People never mention it because it destroys the point they are wanting to make, but the cost of Rail Travel here in general isn't actually that ridiculous compared to Germany.

Sure, you can plan and book in advance and get some excellent value fares, but you can do the same here. Rock up last minute and/or have no flexibility in the time you can / are willing to travel and you pay more.

e.g. I've got a train booked tomorrow from Brussels to Augsburg. It cost about 55 Euros when I booked it. The same train right now is 230 Euro.

44 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Seat Reservations are relatively inexpensive. I'd do it.

Saw from welshbairn's post that First Class reservations are free (I have the First Class interrail), but this doesn't seem to be the case on the DB website at least.

Travelling with some standard class paupers on my way down tomorrow though, so will probably wait until we have landed and then try to do it.

Edited by craigkillie

Travelling solo to meet my mates in Monchengladbach. 18th Glasgow-Birmingham-Dusseldorf. Does anyone know how accurate the train schedule app is in germany? It shows the last train from dusseldorf airport to monchengladbach is 22.45 and I arrive at 22.10 if on schedule. Just hoping I dont miss that train or its a costly uber. Alternatively its a longshot but is anyone on that flight and going to monchengladbach that would want to share an Uber?

16 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Travelling solo to meet my mates in Monchengladbach. 18th Glasgow-Birmingham-Dusseldorf. Does anyone know how accurate the train schedule app is in germany? It shows the last train from dusseldorf airport to monchengladbach is 22.45 and I arrive at 22.10 if on schedule. Just hoping I dont miss that train or its a costly uber. Alternatively its a longshot but is anyone on that flight and going to monchengladbach that would want to share an Uber?

Don‘t know what app you‘re looking at, but plenty of train connections through to the early hours. Any RE or S-Bahn to Düsseldorf Hbf. then the S8 to Mönchengladbach. 

Just now, German Jag said:

Don‘t know what app you‘re looking at, but plenty of train connections through to the early hours. Any RE or S-Bahn to Düsseldorf Hbf. then the S8 to Mönchengladbach. 

Appreciate the reply mate. Is there an app you could suggest to me?

1 minute ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Appreciate the reply mate. Is there an app you could suggest to me?

Get DB Navigator. Can still look up connections even if you don‘t have a DB account for making ticket purchases. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Saw from welshbairn's post that First Class reservations are free (I have the First Class interrail), but this doesn't seem to be the case on the DB website at least.

Travelling with some standard class paupers on my way down tomorrow though, so will probably wait until we have landed and then try to do it.

I'm guessing reservations only come free if you buy a DB first class ticket, not with a first class InterRail pass. You should be able to afford the €4.99 though, posh boy. :P

So the one bit of my journey I've done nothing about so far is the trip from Karlsruhe into Stuttgart next Saturday morning. If flight is on time due to arrive Karlsruhe circa 9:45am next Saturday. Hotel in Stuttgart (but check in is 3pm so no great rush to get there). I need to get myself and mini me from Karlsruhe (Baden Baden) to Stuttgart. I also need to get back to Karlsruhe on the Monday morning (24th) in time for a 1:35pm flight (so presumably by 11am-ish).

Any kind soul familiar with internal transport want to point me at the right place to look for trains? Is there a direct train from the airport or are we going to have to get into Karlsruhe to get back out to Stuttgart? Is it something as well just sorted when we get there or better sorted in advance? What, if any, discounts do we get for having match tickets?

Thanks in advance.

27 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

So the one bit of my journey I've done nothing about so far is the trip from Karlsruhe into Stuttgart next Saturday morning. If flight is on time due to arrive Karlsruhe circa 9:45am next Saturday. Hotel in Stuttgart (but check in is 3pm so no great rush to get there). I need to get myself and mini me from Karlsruhe (Baden Baden) to Stuttgart. I also need to get back to Karlsruhe on the Monday morning (24th) in time for a 1:35pm flight (so presumably by 11am-ish).

Any kind soul familiar with internal transport want to point me at the right place to look for trains? Is there a direct train from the airport or are we going to have to get into Karlsruhe to get back out to Stuttgart? Is it something as well just sorted when we get there or better sorted in advance? What, if any, discounts do we get for having match tickets?

Thanks in advance.

Bus 234 or X34 to ‚Bahnhof Rastatt. A walk to Rastatt, local train to Karlsruhe, then onwards to Stuttgart.
Basically the same in reverse for the return journey.
No rebate on the Saturday for having  a ticket, will be free on the way back on any local trains or buses. If traveling with an IC or ICE train then will need a ticket.

Get yourself the DB Navigator app.  

Think my question is down similar lines to @Dunning1874 however me and two friends were booked on a train from Frankfurt to Munich tomorrow morning (with reserved seats) however this train has now been cancelled. It says due to this I can get on any train as long as we show our original tickets however my fear is due to amount of people travelling all the trains will be full. Take it this will not be the case? And are we likely to get seats on the train? 

8 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

are we likely to get seats on the train? 

Depends. If the app suggests it's going to be in high demand then perhaps "not very"

45 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Think my question is down similar lines to @Dunning1874 however me and two friends were booked on a train from Frankfurt to Munich tomorrow morning (with reserved seats) however this train has now been cancelled. It says due to this I can get on any train as long as we show our original tickets however my fear is due to amount of people travelling all the trains will be full. Take it this will not be the case? And are we likely to get seats on the train? 

If you have enough time in Frankfurt go to the DB ticket office at the station and ask if they can change your seat reservation over to the train you intend to take. They might not be able to but there's normally a small amount of seats set aside for people changing trains or having missed connections due to delays that DB don't let get booked up too far in advance.

If there's any seats showing on the train as 'ggf reserviert' sit there as there's a decent chance you won't get moved as they are only possibly reserved. The trains could be full but you can still get on and stand and then sit when there's space until punted by someone with a reservation.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

Alternatively you can reserve a seat only on a train without actually booking on the DB website, pay for it and then email DB to request a refund of the seat reservation part of your original booking at a later date if you aren't bothered about waiting for the money back.

I’m due to land in Frankfurt tomorrow morning at 9am and got a train to Munich at 10am. My friends did the same journey last night and said the trains were a nightmare. Delayed twice and then chucked off at stuttgart. I’m worried this is going to happen to us. 

There are five of us. Definitely considered getting a taxi but could be as much as 200 euros each

56 minutes ago, Aufc said:

There are five of us. Definitely considered getting a taxi but could be as much as 200 euros each

Considered hiring a car one way? Not sure how easy that is in Germany but could be worth investigating. 

Can confirm the above. Long distance trains from Hamburg last night were all delayed or cancelled (mine was late in leaving an hour and 5 late into Munich) and in Munich this morning it looked a similar picture with delays showing on long distance trains.