Euro 2024 Travel arrangements

Connor7

On 12/06/2024 at 05:03, Todd_is_God said:

The bars in Munich themselves will be about that price, too, anyway.

£5.50 for a pint of Premium Beer in the Fan Zone at the Euros. What were people expecting it to be?!

Also bear in mind it’s generally stronger than your usual beer. Lowenbrau (which I think that logo on the menu is!) is something like 5.2%.

Ive been to Oktoberfest a few times where it’s cranked up to something like 5.8-6%. Basically you buy a litre for about €12 and it’s like drinking three pints of Tennents.

Fucking brilliant. Best beer in the world. Enjoy it.

Forgive if already been covered, but does anyone know if the fan pass 36 hour free travel is completely unlimited on locals trains?

I have tickets for Turkey v Georgia, which is a 6pm kickoff with no afternoon games that day. I'm staying in Düsseldorf. Hypothetically, if I want to go to Cologne in the morning and then back to Düsseldorf for lunch before heading to Dortmund, an I covered for the whole lot as it's all within the VRS/VRR area and within the time frame?

The reason I ask is because I've been to ice hockey games in Germany before where your ticket covers you for free travel, but only to and from the game, not for random trips earlier or later in day. Cheers 

Edited by DG.Roma

6 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

Forgive if already been covered, but does anyone know if the fan pass 36 hour free travel is completely unlimited on locals trains?

I have tickets for Turkey v Georgia, which is a 6pm kickoff with no afternoon games that day. I'm staying in Düsseldorf. Hypothetically, if I want to go to Cologne in the morning and then back to Düsseldorf for lunch before heading to Dortmund, an I covered for the whole lot as it's all within the VRS/VRR area and within the time frame?

The reason I ask is because I've been to ice hockey games in Germany before where your ticket covers you for free travel, but only to and from the game, not for random trips earlier or later in day. Cheers 

My reading suggests that it's across the entire VRS/VRR area from 5am on matchday until 5pm the following day. 

As an aside, are the issues with the trains all linked to the Bavarian flooding of late? I'm not flying out till Sunday and have trains booked from Frankfurt airport to Dusseldorf, and those trains appear to be running, if not delayed, from a cursory glance on the DB website.

3 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Always nice to see that German reliabilty myth exposed again.

While that's true, the cause isn't a general German thing. It's decades of underfunding because the federal government are in the pockets of Germany's big car manufacturers. 

1 hour ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

As an aside, are the issues with the trains all linked to the Bavarian flooding of late? I'm not flying out till Sunday and have trains booked from Frankfurt airport to Dusseldorf, and those trains appear to be running, if not delayed, from a cursory glance on the DB website.

If it’s helpful I was on the train from Belgium to Frankfurt which had a connection to Munich and it was delayed but not because of the flooding and it’s not mentioned on the train nor at the station so hopefully it’s all okay.

18 hours ago, German Jag said:

Bus 234 or X34 to ‚Bahnhof Rastatt. A walk to Rastatt, local train to Karlsruhe, then onwards to Stuttgart.
Basically the same in reverse for the return journey.
No rebate on the Saturday for having  a ticket, will be free on the way back on any local trains or buses. If traveling with an IC or ICE train then will need a ticket.

Get yourself the DB Navigator app.  

Thank you. Got it and seen same journey on there (that's a handy thing! ). It involves more changes than I'd hoped.

Do we just book tickets for the whole journey through that then? And is it something we should do in advance or when we get there, given the number of potential routes and times and the fact we don't know for certain when we'll clear passport control at the airport?

If anyone's staying in Garching it's very easy getting here from the airport, S8 train to Ismaning, and 230 bus from station just outside, took less than half an hour I think. I paid €9.70 for a 5 zone ticket, but there might be a cheaper way of doing it. 

38 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Thank you. Got it and seen same journey on there (that's a handy thing! ). It involves more changes than I'd hoped.

Do we just book tickets for the whole journey through that then? And is it something we should do in advance or when we get there, given the number of potential routes and times and the fact we don't know for certain when we'll clear passport control at the airport?

Never been to that airport.

A quick look at their web-site and it says there is a ticket machine at the bus stop. Get your ticket, for the bus leg at least. For the train part, probably need to get them at Rastatt Bahnhof including the onward part to Karlsruhe.

4 hours ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

My reading suggests that it's across the entire VRS/VRR area from 5am on matchday until 5pm the following day. 

That's my understanding too, it seems like it'd be fine to use it as often as you want within the district and timeframe, even if you're going in the wrong direction. As I said though, it contradicts the way the free travel usually works, but in our favour thankfully.

What's the deal with missing a connection? I booked Cologne to Stuttgart and there's a change at Frankfurt airport which is only 7 minutes. If the first train is running late, am I able to just jump on the next train? It was booked through DB as one ticket, so was their suggested connection.

Edited by lanky_ffc

Currently on the train to Augsburg which is absolutely packed. Anyone who is standing is being told to get off the train at Ulm before we can continue. 

Just now, Lyle Lanley said:

Currently on the train to Augsburg which is absolutely packed. Anyone who is standing is being told to get off the train at Ulm before we can continue. 

Deutsche Bahn - a great bunch o' lads.

42 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

What's the deal with missing a connection? I booked Cologne to Stuttgart and there's a change at Frankfurt airport which is only 7 minutes. If the first train is running late, am I able to just jump on the next train? It was booked through DB as one ticket, so was their suggested connection.

That's what people who know say, I'm a DB virgin myself. 

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

If anyone's staying in Garching it's very easy getting here from the airport, S8 train to Ismaning, and 230 bus from station just outside, took less than half an hour I think. I paid €9.70 for a 5 zone ticket, but there might be a cheaper way of doing it. 

Excellent! I’m heading there tonight when we eventually get In 

am I able to use the interrail pass on S/U bahn? 

currently on train to Frankfurt slight delay on Eurostar this morning but still plenty of time for our connection from Brussels feeling slightly smug about scheduling a 2 hour break between trains now hopefully the quick connection in Frankfurt runs smoothly! 

Edited by Don Diego De la Vega

4 minutes ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Excellent! I’m heading there tonight when we eventually get In 

am I able to use the interrail pass on S/U bahn? 

currently on train to Frankfurt slight delay on Eurostar this morning but still plenty of time for our connection from Brussels feeling slightly smug about scheduling a 2 hour break between trains now hopefully the quick connection in Frankfurt runs smoothly! 

Not sure about the interrail pass, probably but I didn't want to use up a day on a short journey. What time do you get in? Had a fabulous lunch at Augustiner, they also do beer.. 

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Not sure about the interrail pass, probably but I didn't want to use up a day on a short journey. What time do you get in? Had a fabulous lunch at Augustiner, they also do beer.. 

we’re not in Munich until 2130 

had a quick google, sbahn yes ubahn no 

will most probably stay about garching for a few and not to f**k it tomorrow (maybe)