March and June friendlies

Donathan

Scotland will have the opportunity to play two friendly matches in both the March window and warm up matches just before the tournament next summer. We played Netherlands and Luxembourg before the last Euros, but were not able to play friendlies as that window was used for the first set of World Cup qualifying matches (we had a pair of draws at home to Austria and in Israel, and a comfortable home win over the Faroe Islands)

Keeping in mind that 12 of our fellow UEFA nations will be unavailable in March due to participating in the playoffs, and that are also likely to avoid playing friendlies against countries that we are due to face in the group stages at the euros (and possibly even nations league opponents), which countries could Clarke look to pit us against?

Personally after three straight multiple goal defeats I would like to see at least one “confidence building” opponent in each of the two windows. The likes of Latvia or the Faroe Islands would make a good lamb to the slaughter for us. I’d also like to play Sweden at some point. This is because they’re a high ranked side so beating them would help improve our fifa ranking for the World Cup qualifiers, but they aren’t anywhere near as good as their ranking suggests.

I do think one of the four friendlies will be more of a test. 

I would go for something like:

March:

Sweden (H)

Faroe Islands (A)

June:

High ranked nation not in our euros or NL group (in Germany) 

Latvia (in Germany)

Good teams, test defence and goalkeeper. Bad teams, test forwards and midfield. Arguments for both. Also teams that are broadly similar to who is in our group would be sensible

One team we should beat and one team we should get beat by in each window 

I'm in agreement with the above.  Confidence building is one thing, but we also need to practice attacking -  and despite what the last three games suggests, attacking is probably where we need to improve.  Dykes and Adams combined are pretty much mirroring Miller's strike rate, so that needs improved.

Poland/Austria were decent outfits in March 2022 to play, as were Luxembourg/Netherlands in June 2021.  

I like the idea of Sweden and a side like Latvia/Lithuania/Faroes, and then whatever fits in June ahead of the Euros.

And on a side note, I'd like to see some goal records get pushed, and that's not going to happen if we only play Tier 1 nations.  Even Ronaldo and Kane's numbers would look a whole lot more modest if they didn't have Luxembourg, San Marino, and Andorra to run up scores against.

Edit: and no friendlies against Wales/NI/ROI please.  It just turns into an FA Cup match and we don't learn anything, and usually don't do well either.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

Just now, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

I'm in agreement with the above.  Confidence building is one thing, but we also need to practice attacking -  and despite what the last three games suggests, attacking is probably where we need to improve.  Dykes and Adams combined are pretty much mirroring Miller's strike rate, so that needs improved.

Poland/Austria were decent outfits in March 2022 to play, as were Luxembourg/Netherlands in June 2021.  

I like the idea of Sweden and a side like Latvia/Lithuania/Faroes, and then whatever fits in June ahead of the Euros.

And on a side note, I'd like to see some goal records get pushed, and that's not going to happen if we only play Tier 1 nations.  Even Ronaldo and Kane's numbers would look a whole lot more modest if they didn't have Luxembourg, San Marino, and Andorra to run up scores against.

I'd honestly happily play San Marino in every qualifying campaign. Despite having quite a few dominant performances, we've really only dished out a couple of pumpings in the past few years. 

10 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I'd honestly happily play San Marino in every qualifying campaign. Despite having quite a few dominant performances, we've really only dished out a couple of pumpings in the past few years. 

San Marino almost got a draw with Denmark last night

I don't understand people saying we didn't get anything from last night

There will be loads of patterns of play that will be analysed by Clark and the coaching staff.

France were absolutely deadly in the transition so if we can learn when to try and use the ball and when to just not lose it that will help.

Eventually we want to be able to actually stand a chance of beating these teams, pumping Sierra Leone or whatever isn't going to help us do that

I want to see us play a team like Croatia or Czech Republic at home. Those mid size teams were our undoing at the last Euros. 

Two home games in March would be lovely if the SFA can sort that. Been an expensive few months following Scotland and Germany will add to it.

With the World Cup qualifying draw next year I'd also hope we are being sensible with who we pick since we have an outside chance at pot 1. Any over ranked and underperforming teams please.

45 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I'd just go for the confidence builders. San Marino, the Cayman Islands and Gibraltar. 

What's the point in facing difficult opponents? Did we really gain anything form getting pumped by France last night?

Yes, experience. These recent games against England, Spain and France give the team a meaningful benchmark for the improvement they will be striving to show against the similarly-ranked teams they'll be playing at the euros and in next year's nations league campaign. Maybe we could've played Latvia last night instead and put 8 goals past them and felt very good about ourselves but I think choosing to take on high-class opponents in low-to-no risk games like this is much more meaningful to the team's development.

Edited by Kevin Finnerty

I mean, it's not that unlikely that we'll be playing at least one of these last three countries in an actual competitive game next year. In any case I doubt anyone will be regretting this run of fixtures when our next meaningful match against a high-ranked nation rolls around.

Edited by Kevin Finnerty

Poland will quite possibly be in the play-offs so I'm not sure they'll be an option. We won't be in Sweden's group because they're out.

If the target is simply playing sides who are ranked higher than they should be, we should be looking beyond European opposition for that. Sadly the Asian qualifying has already started, which rules out Australia as the obvious ones, but the likes of Tunisia, Algeria, USA or Canada could be options.

On 18/10/2023 at 09:18, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Good teams, test defence and goalkeeper. Bad teams, test forwards and midfield. Arguments for both. Also teams that are broadly similar to who is in our group would be sensible

One team we should beat and one team we should get beat by in each window 

Your use of commas in the opening two sentences make it read like a Christopher Walken monologue in my head.

2 hours ago, velo army said:

Your use of commas in the opening two sentences make it read like a Christopher Walken monologue in my head.

Dyslexia's a b*****d