March and June friendlies

Donathan

11 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Brazil at the Emirates and Nigeria at Craven Cottage were great, easy to get to trips so I will go along wi this. 

I think the difference now is the SFA can be fairly confident about getting a good crowd for near enough any game at Hampden rather than taking a fee for games like that which might make them less likely. Back around the time of Brazil at the Emirates we were getting under 20k for a friendly v Denmark which I can't see happening right now. 

4 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Whilst Stockholm is absolutely beautiful and I’d love to go back, I’d really hope it were at home if it’s Sweden, for the reason you stated earlier in the thread. Poland could be done fairly cheap though…

I'm hoping we're at home to anyone for now. If we are away then I hope cost and convenience are taken into account and we don't end up on the Syrian border again.

Not sure if the quotes are referring only to the June friendlies, but as a summary, we want: the toughest friendlies available, our final friendly before Euro-2024 at Hampden Park to allow a send off and The Scotsman are suggesting March and June will have one home game and one away game - but I'm not sure how reliable that is as there aren't any quote backing that one up.

We are still discussing that. It is very difficult to nail down who you are playing until you know who has qualified for the Euros. You don’t want to play a friendly against someone you are going to meet in the tournament, but thoughts on the friendlies will be as tough as we can get them. I want tough games, I want to play good teams. I think you learn more from playing good teams than playing teams you should beat.

Before Euro 2020 we played Holland away which was a good game and then Luxembourg on the way home. If you look at Luxembourg now they have improved a lot. I think they showed that night that they have improved a lot. I think they are third in their qualifying section this time. So we will look for two games similar to that – a top level, Pot-1 team and maybe a Pot-3 team for the second game. We are looking to be competitive. Since the last Euros were disrupted a bit because of COVID, it would be nice to think we could have a send-off game here. Certainly not with the bus going round the park and no opposition on the pitch. We will try and play a game this time.

Steve Clarke

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/23918027.steve-clarke-keen-hampden-send-off-euro-2024-bound-scotland/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

we had agreed to play Switzerland in March which is now cancelled.

Reminds me of an obscure oddity... we played Norway in B friendly at Tynecastle in April 1998, losing 1-2, only weeks before meeting in Bordeaux.

Admittedly only Gould + McKinlay made squad.

7 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Not sure how you prepare for Germany - who else has wingers like Gnabry and Sane? 

I still think Sweden are a good shout. Kulusevski will take one of the winger roles, and maybe Isak on the other side if they play Gykores in the middle. Not sure how they use them but they'd be tricky either way. 

Maybe Belgium with Doku and Bakayoku, or whoever else feels like turning up for them at the time.

For the others, how about Romania? Lazy geographical comparison of course, plus they beat and drew with Switzerland in qualifying.

9 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Ian Maxwell confirmed in his interview with Jane Lewis on Sportsound we had agreed to play Switzerland in March which is now cancelled.

I was coming in to post just that. Thought it was quite revealing in terms of the level of opponent we are looking at. A regular group stage side from a smaller nation. If we can find a similar opponent they'll prove good preparation for both Hungary and Switzerland IMO.

3 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

I still think Sweden are a good shout. Kulusevski will take one of the winger roles, and maybe Isak on the other side if they play Gykores in the middle. Not sure how they use them but they'd be tricky either way. 

Maybe Belgium with Doku and Bakayoku, or whoever else feels like turning up for them at the time.

For the others, how about Romania? Lazy geographical comparison of course, plus they beat and drew with Switzerland in qualifying.

Yeah don’t mind that at all. Sweden, Serbia, Romania, Slovakia, Czechia - sides like that I’d presume would all be reasonably useful.

Poland, Austria, Turkey, Denmark, Ukraine, Greece, Finland etc would all be good shouts if we hadn’t recently played them/in playoff contention.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Was there not a suggestion we were potentially playing Argentina at Hampden.

I think @Hendricks said something about it further up the page, not sure what it's based on. Argentina would be a great friendly given the historical footballing ties between the two countries. Everything official I've heard just suggests European teams really, but that isn't enough in itself to rule out a game against teams from other continents.

If it is Argentina at Hampden, then the winning captain needs to be presented with an oversized bottle of champagne at the end, with "SHILTON TEARS" written on the side.

Messi would appreciate that more than the net curtain he was forced to wear at the World Cup final.

43 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

If it is Argentina at Hampden, then the winning captain needs to be presented with an oversized bottle of champagne at the end, with "SHILTON TEARS" written on the side.

Messi would appreciate that more than the net curtain he was forced to wear at the World Cup final.

I still can't believe that Shilton got out jumped by 5ft 4in Diego for the goal. If it wasn't against "them" it would be on a goalie blunder compilation 😄 

I'd take a Stewart Kimmie cross into the net anytime against Argentina at a wet Hampden. 

8 minutes ago, deadasdillinger said:

Would love to do Amsterdam again, possibly my favourite Scotland trip ever. 

the 6-nil game? interesting...I could have cried that day although I didn't go to the game as I was too young to go by myself.