March and June friendlies

Donathan

4 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Read the friendly article in The Herald that's going about, struggling to see why we would take the Gibraltar game. Clarke always talks about "being tested" or "needing tested". Before the England and France games he said that with Euro qualification and Pot 1 Nation League ties on the horizon, we could be faced with opponents of that standard, however again, Gibraltar don't fall into that category.

Is it "an easy tie" to assess players....probably too close to the Euros for that.....is it a way to get some shooting practice in......I don't think Clarke is that type of manager....so all in all it just seems like a strange friendly to me. I can only think that were the only nation that were open to face us at that time. 

We’ve been tested plenty and will be tested again a week after. 

It allows us to get minutes in the legs of our EFL championship players too who could be finishing on 4th May. 

On 23/01/2024 at 15:46, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Gibraltar are no mugs. Anyone hoping for a rout will be sorely disappointed.

I’d have agreed with you 3 years ago. Less so now.

That 14-0 game was the most egregious example of real-world stat padding since Australia started Viduka and Kewell against a bunch of Pacific fishermen.

C3E0F5ED-9115-4D88-84E3-68DC2D67F694.jpeg

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

Booked for Faro. Direct Eurowings flights from Hannover, over on the Saturday morning, back on the morning after the game.

Also booked flights for the Finland game. Dreading to see what the credit card bills will be like at the end of June. 

Worth noting that it seems like Gibraltar have a manager who is absolutely at it, and only in the job due to friends in the FA.  I think that France result was blamed not only on them being absolutely pish, but because a lot of the players really, really don't want to play for the manager.

So hopefully he's still in place in June and McGinn can get 14 so he can break the record.  Then we can start sharing the goals around.

On 23/01/2024 at 15:46, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Gibraltar are no mugs. Anyone hoping for a rout will be sorely disappointed.

33 goals conceded in their last 5 games perhaps suggests they are.   I'll go for a 4 or 5 nil knock about.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/12/2023 at 00:43, denltfc said:

The Swiss have replaced Scotland with Ireland in Dublin on Tuesday March 26th. Obviously thinking Ireland are a like for like replacement. I wouldn’t be surprised if Germany or Hungary in  a June friendly with Austria likely if Wales get through against Ireland. 

Germany and Hungary will play Ireland in June to add to Switzerland playing Ireland in March. Coincidence maybe, but probably playing Ireland is a decent warmup for a Euros group including Scotland if it's been planned that way. 

Our pre-tournament games are quite difficult to piece the logic together. Steve Clarke has expressed a taste for managing against opponents he hasn't come up against previously, so there's maybe an element of that. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AlloaAdam said:

Has it been announced when the tickets for the Netherlands friendly will go on sale? On 10 points and not sure I’ll get one.

Not sure when they’ll be on sale but I think you’ll get one no problem. We only got 1600 for Lille and that went to 11. That was when people were desperate for points for Germany too. We should have 2500-3000 for Amsterdam and there’ll be many who give it a miss with the euros on the horizon.

On 15/02/2024 at 23:14, lubo_blaha said:

Not sure when they’ll be on sale but I think you’ll get one no problem. We only got 1600 for Lille and that went to 11. That was when people were desperate for points for Germany too. We should have 2500-3000 for Amsterdam and there’ll be many who give it a miss with the euros on the horizon.

I'm hoping they'll drop to 6. With the Euros themselves now a pipe dream for us I'm hoping to take my son to Netherlands instead but he's on 6 points.

Failing that we'll go to Portugal for the Gibraltar game. I'm assuming anyone who wants one will get one of those?

Gibraltar will be a case of us getting as many tickets as we want, there's a real lack of cheap flights for an in and out job and it's weeks before the Euros. I reckon both will go to 0 points but Gibrlatar is an absolute cert.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

3 hours ago, seanm99 said:

What are the chances of getting a ticket for Gibraltar if you’ve never been to an away game before? 

Are tickets likely to go on general sale?  Cheers

The match will be at Estadio Algarve in Faro. This is a 30000 capacity.

Gibraltars support will be in the hundreds.

Don't think getting a ticket will be too difficult tbh.