GREENOCK MORTON v PARS

We lost 2 poor goals from tactically inept formations. 5 at the back then switching to 4 the players didn't seem to adapt.

When we went to a 4 we had no width in the team and as a result we resorted to hoof ball. It was only when we had Boyd, Bearne and McGrattan on we started to trouble the Pars.

Added to players under-performing and a baffling substitution of Wilson, we were left huffing and puffing to get a result.

I'm not getting the OTT criticism of Power, who put in a real shit in midfield. If anyone deserves criticism in midfield it was Blues who did nothing and was rightly hooked.

French is still trying to get his match fitness (which is why he's with us at the moment) and wasn't convincing last night. In my opinion you play either French or Broadfoot alongside Baird and Wilson and Waters either side.

Dougie under real pressure now and he desperately needs results. I still very much have faith in him but it's a results driven business and he will know that too.

Feel sorry for Wilson as he didn't deserve to be subbed. No matter where he plays and how he is playing I have never seen that guy hide in a game, always looking for the ball. That can't be said for others at the moment unfortunately   

Pleasing win but still some concerns with the performance, especially second half.

Felt that McCann and Jakubiak were hardly in the game. They seemed so isolated and I'm unsure what roles they were actually playing. The link up between them and further back was poor to non-existsnt at times. We also played far too many long ball hit and hope nonsense.

Hopefully the win will give the team confidence and get us back playing like we know we can.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Pleasing win but still some concerns with the performance, especially second half.

Felt that McCann and Jakubiak were hardly in the game. They seemed so isolated and I'm unsure what roles they were actually playing. The link up between them and further back was poor to non-existsnt at times. We also played far too many long ball hit and hope nonsense.

Hopefully the win will give the team confidence and get us back playing like we know we can.

Aye it worked okay early and Moffat was running the show, but he tired early in the second half and when he went off you felt there was a gap. One thing is Todd, KRH and Summers will all improve that massively, two of them on the bench last night and hopefully all three in the squad come next Friday.

4 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

I actually liked the look of Boyd when he came on, plenty smart runs and took his penalty brilliantly. I'd rather someone like him than Wighton.

He started the season well but hasn't been as effective recently. He's an easy target for the boo boys and gets a lot of stick but he's not as bad as some make out.

14 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Thought the Morton keeper went down in instalments for the second goal and was similarly slow to react to McCann’s free-kick in the second half.

Jamie MacDonald hasn't been the cause of our problems so far this season, but I'm also not 100% convinced by his performances. The bigger issue is that we signed him and so punted our other goalkeeper signing this summer (Mullen) to the bench indefinitely, when he did absolutely nothing wrong in the games he got to play. 

For a club with such limited financial resources, it is hard to justify having two first team goalkeepers capable of starting every week, and then ditching the one with potential to improve for somebody who will be done any day now. It was probably aimed to make the difference in another play-off push - but that's clearly not going to happen now.

Mullen might be a very good option for us to have at the club next season at either level - MacDonald isn't. So it's time to give priority to the long-term interests of squad building.

Edited by vikingTON

17 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

He started the season well but hasn't been as effective recently. He's an easy target for the boo boys and gets a lot of stick but he's not as bad as some make out.

Boyd for Muirhead meant that the long high ball couldn't be used as regularly and that we had to take the radical step of passing along the ground and running with the ball.

Maybe they can try that next time?

On 04/11/2023 at 11:17, DA Baracus said:

Early days but not sure I can see the McCann / Jakubiak partnership working. I think they'd both be better alongside a more natural goalscorer. 

I don't think Jakubiak has been signed being a natural goal scorer. I'm not sure what strikers we tried to sign, but we've obviously missed out on some and then sh*t the bed trying to get someone in. Jakubiak is a good player, welcome addition and has good experience of the league. I think once Matty and KRH are fit, they'll give us more drive from midfield, which might allow for McCann to play as the striker through the middle. Jakubiak can play off the left or right, I'm sure Dundee fans said he's more of a wide forward than your penalty box number 9. At the moment McCann seems to be playing wider or off the striker. With his physicality and pace he should be the main man from the ones we've got.

We need a proper striker, an out and out goal scorer but the problem is everyone wants one and they're not easy to come by. A guy like Lewis Moult shouldn't really be playing Championship level, but Dundee Utd are a big draw and baring some sort of disaster should be back in the top flight come the spring.

I'd hope we can address this in January but with Todd and KRH back, hopefully the creative part should be better and guys like McCann, Wighton and Jak will be getting more goals. I still think we should have kept big Todorov. He offers something different to the ones we've got and is generally a nuisance.

1 hour ago, VinnyPar said:

Already seen some shouts to keep Todorov, way off IMO. Just because we never signed an out and out scorer in the summer doesn't mean the decision to release him and O'Hara was wrong. 

Said nothing about O'Hara.

When needing a goal, Todorov caused more havoc in boxes than Wighton & McCann, scored a good few and very important late goals last season. Also handy at defending his own box. You knew if he came on we were going to start putting balls into the box and he'd be in there within 12 yards hassling centre half's and trying to score, when needing a goal others go missing and want to be outside the box. I'm not saying he's the saviour but I think he would have been a good option, even if just from the bench, especially in this league when we might not have the lions share of the ball week in week out.

I notice the big man done more in the Rovers box on Saturday than we did at all a week past Saturday.

Anyway, he's gone now. Hopefully we address the centre forward issue in January but it'll be tricky.