GREENOCK MORTON v PARS

So the Pars are on the road again on Friday, this time to challenge Greenock Morton for the illusive three points. 

GM have been doing better in the cup games than the league. With two league wins and two draws they find themselves at the bottom of the table, a situation that hopefully won’t change at our expense. We aren’t fairing much better in 8th place, with only one win more than them. A poor return for both team’s efforts  

Last time we met, Pars ran out comfortable winners at home and we’ll be looking to repeat that. I’m hoping that GM don’t find form at our expense on Friday. 

Do I read it right, are GM playing tonight and Pars on Friday? 

They have done well in their cup games, including, IMO, an expected defeat, but a very respectable 2-1 score line away at the The Rangers. 

They managed a draw on the road against the league leaders, who probably shored up their goal mouth after going a man down. They beat an Ayr Utd team away last weekend that managed to take all three points at EEP. IMO, it’s a recipe for a very tasty encounter  

If we can reproduce the performance we did in linoland, but with one difference, we manage to convert one of our chances, then I think we’ll bring all three points back to the Kingdom, especially if Raith burns them out a bit tonight. 

We were completely outplayed at EEP last time, despite a better second-half showing. Probably comfortably our worst this season - including the Arbroath and Partick humpings.

The Ayr game just feels like a turning point (feel free to use this against me if it isn't), and with two home games within a week, we should be aiming to take at least 4 points - aiming for a win on Friday. Then again, our small squad playing three games in a week could end up with Dunfermline playing against zombified players.

If we win tonight, things may look a bit brighter for us going into Friday. Even if we lose, it is Raith, so not too much to complain about in that regard.

Morton currently 2-1 down to Raith. Hopefully some tired legs on Friday night.

Obviously we want a win on Friday night but I wouldn’t be furious with a point just to stop the losing run. Because if we lose on Friday, then I don’t fancy us not to lose the following Friday at home to Dundee Utd and that’ll be five defeats on the spin. 

Could really do with having Bene back in but only if fit. Summers too. Think this’ll come too early for Todd and Kane but I’m sure we’ll get an update soon from McPake. With the game being Friday we might get the weekly update tomorrow.

A win would move us six points clear of Morton with a game in hand and you’d think would pile enormous pressure on Imrie.

We haven’t won in our last 10 visits to Cappielow however and will have to cobble together a defence from whatever is left over from Saturday.

Could be grim.

It’s conkers that we could end up 4th place with a win on Friday. Naturally that’ll change when the Saturday results come in. 
I always fear for us when on the telly, we never seem to perform well in televised games. Looking at the weather I think I’ll be staying home for this one. 
we have to find the bloody net on Friday before we can get anything out this game tho, and that is proving elusive right now. We badly need a more accurate finisher. Hopefully one is earmarked for the January window 

Glad it’s on the tele and I won’t be wasting my time driving through for this. We need to see a response to last week, where we had a lot of the ball and got into good areas, but didn’t do enough to score. We haven’t scored a goal since we last played Morton, so that’s a bit of a concern.

Don't know Bene’s status, but would imagine Breen is out fairly long term again. I liked Otoo and Allan in midfield, so would hope we can play Comrie, Bene and Fisher as a back 3. I think we need Bene’s physicality up against Muirhead.

Thought Moffat played quite well last week, but if Summers is fit I’d start him. If he’s only half-fit (like he was v Ayr) then leave him on the bench.

We need a result. Performance doesn’t really matter, it’s just win at all costs. This is obviously a really poor run that we’re on and we need to put an end to it as soon as possible.

Morton unfortunate to have to play three games with only 3 days between each game.  Last night was toothless and our central defence went missing, and they're not really getting a chance to recover before Friday.  We desperately need a win.  I think we will improve once we have Quitongo back to give us some pace up front, but he's not fit yet although back in training apparently.  On the plus side, we usually do well in televised games for some reason.  Can't forecast this one but not terribly optimistic about getting three points.

50 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Don't know Bene’s status, but would imagine Breen is out fairly long term again. I liked Otoo and Allan in midfield, so would hope we can play Comrie, Bene and Fisher as a back 3. I think we need Bene’s physicality up against Muirhead.

I liked Allan and Otoo together too but Fisher and Comrie are both more comfortable on the right and Bene if fit will be in the middle so I suspect Otto might drop back. Comrie could play LCH I guess, or Hamilton could do that at a pinch but then we start looking at square pegs in round holes. We might even have to start with a back three of Otoo-Hamilton-Fisher which wouldn't be ideal. I wouldn't be going anyway with it being a Friday night so I'll predict a turgid 0-0 like the last televised game between the teams in Greenock.

43 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Morton unfortunate to have to play three games with only 3 days between each game.  Last night was toothless and our central defence went missing, and they're not really getting a chance to recover before Friday.  We desperately need a win.  I think we will improve once we have Quitongo back to give us some pace up front, but he's not fit yet although back in training apparently.  On the plus side, we usually do well in televised games for some reason.  Can't forecast this one but not terribly optimistic about getting three points.

Your 4 nil demolition of Caley was my favourite televised performance of last season.

2 hours ago, Wacky said:

It’s conkers that we could end up 4th place with a win on Friday. Naturally that’ll change when the Saturday results come in. 
I always fear for us when on the telly, we never seem to perform well in televised games. Looking at the weather I think I’ll be staying home for this one. 
we have to find the bloody net on Friday before we can get anything out this game tho, and that is proving elusive right now. We badly need a more accurate finisher. Hopefully one is earmarked for the January window 

Away televised games are usually an issue for us but home games we do okay. Last two I think were Thistle at home under Yogi where we won 4-1 and Raith where we won 2-0. Don't think we've been on the telly since.

14 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Away televised games are usually an issue for us but home games we do okay. Last two I think were Thistle at home under Yogi where we won 4-1 and Raith where we won 2-0. Don't think we've been on the telly since.

Don't think Raith game was on the box mate

49 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Remember the Partick game. Think the other home game on tv was Morton at home that season (1-1 draw iirc - Iain Wilson scored for Morton). I think the Partick game was rearranged and it meant that the BBC were at East End in two consecutive games. The Raith games weren’t on tv anyway, I remember that.

3 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

Your 4 nil demolition of Caley was my favourite televised performance of last season.

I think it ranks pretty high for most Ton supporters too. The heady days of yore. I'd give anything for us to be turning in performances like that just now.

We'll start on the front foot, pars score the first goal and then we'll resort to hoofball. Eventually we score and the pars go on to win 3-1. Dougie will come out and say how that's fitba and the players have worked really hard for him.

Away win.