Dundee Utd v Inverness CT

No complaints about a point there

United with all the pressure second half but ICT worked hard to contain and frustrate.

Moult looked pretty off it today. Freeman fine but unspectacular. Tillson is a bit meh. 

United didn't really play well enough to get the 3pts, still unbeaten though.

What a brilliant move/goal to put us ahead. Bit annoyed to have conceded from a corner as Dundee Utd didn’t seem to trouble us too much in the second half despite dominating the ball.

Still an excellent point to keep Big Duncs unbeaten run going.

We looked very flat and uninspired today.  Middleton and Fotheringham were good, Moult and Watt not so.  The subbies did nothing though I think the ground conditions deteriorated.

Poor from us to allow their run down our right for the goal though they took it well.

Only positive was the Raith result meaning they’ve not gained any ground.

I was impressed with ICT. They were organised and moved the ball well. We had a couple of players a little bit off it but we've played worse and won comfortably this season. Freeman looks like he has PTSD from last season, not sure if he'll ever recover; Tilson is fine as a stop-gap destroyer but I think we could have been more ambitious and put Glass in there from the start (also my feeling before the match); Watt and Moult seemed to be playing a front two, rather than Watt behind Moult which led to Moult dropping deep when really it should have been Watt. No real complaints though. Sometimes you're not at your best and the opposition play well. ICT certainly the best team to come to Tannadice this season and I would expect them to be pushing hard for 3rd/4th come the end of the season.

I thought it was a strange ‘almost good’ type of performance from us today. A couple of regular starters down (with replacements who understandably aren’t quite as good) and a majority of regulars who it wasn’t quite happening for today.  No complaints with the application, just too many players having an off day.

We’re going to get these days every now and then. It is a bonus that Raith dropped points too.  Just need to go and put another strong performance against Dunfermline and get all 3pts on Friday.

From an Inverness’s perspective, I thought they look well organised, played some decent passing football whilst mixing it up with some longer stuff, and look really dangerous in quick transition.  Having seen the other teams in the league, that current 9th place looks a false position for them and I’d imagine they’d be reasonably optimistic about moving up the league and out of trouble?

Think others have summed it up well. Both teams missed chances, a draw probably fair though. Thought we were excellent in the first half, some of the counter attacking football we were playing was outstanding and we looked solid (two United sitters aside). How refreshing to have a manager who implements a clear identity and tactics.

Second half we ran out of steam really around the hour mark after scoring a brilliant goal. Thought we did well to frustrate United but we didn’t look like scoring again. We’re clearly still a player or two short of competing at the top end as we have very little on the bench to positively impact a game (*cough* Cillian Sheridan *cough*).

A great point and onto the next one - I’ve never seen a team that well received after a draw, sums up the impact Ferguson has had. Onto next week, really need to start winning our home games if we want to be looking at the right end of the table 

2 minutes ago, KingBeastie said:

"subbies".  "subbies"?

Are you one of those people that call chicken nuggets "nuggies"?

"subbies". Dear god. Frank Henenlotter Smh GIF by Eternal Family

No I’m one of those people who don’t eat chicken nuggets.

Have a nice evening.

Not much more to add beyond what has been said except I think Mcmann really should have buried his chance after what was a superb Ridgers save; just get it over the line, no need to try to burst the net.

Thought we were decent enough, and comfy enough on the ball, but thought that Caley looked really dangerous on the break, which was clearly the game plan, and very nearly got the outcome they were looking for.

Big Dunc has clearly made an impact, and given how tight the table is from 3rd to 10th, on that showing, no chance Caley will be down there for long.

For me, given Raith’s draw at home, the frustration is around the missed opportunity to put some distance between us and them…. But as others have said, it could have been worse. 

Thought it was a good game.

Edited by MacArab

I'll go against the grain here and say Freeman was no worse, and certainly more confident in getting forward, than I've seen from Grimshaw. Some of his crossing was very poor though. And Tillson wasn't terrible either, not as bad as some make out, but not as reliable and confident as Docherty.

Felt ICT had our number, leaving us to pass around until the halfway line, and staying compact: that coupled with a poor display from Moult (he's allowed one), and lethargic performances from a couple of others, meant we deserved no more than a draw.

Finally Kai Fotheringham is a promising prospect, but he needs to know when to part with the ball.

15 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I'll go against the grain here and say Freeman was no worse, and certainly more confident in getting forward, than I've seen from Grimshaw. Some of his crossing was very poor though. And Tillson wasn't terrible either, not as bad as some make out, but not as reliable and confident as Docherty.

Odd take on Freeman.. I've a lot of time for Freeman but his confidence is clearly shot. He wasn't a weak link defensively today, as he has been quite a lot in the last 18 months, but you'd need to squint pretty hard not to notice how many times he took the safe option, when a more confident player would have gone forward with the ball. Contrast Freeman's performance with that of Scott McMann. To me, Freeman is probably the more technically gifted player but their contributions are miles apart this season. McMann is a guy at the top of his game; Freeman is nowhere near the player he could be, or might have been.

2 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Odd take on Freeman.. I've a lot of time for Freeman but his confidence is clearly shot. He wasn't a weak link defensively today, as he has been quite a lot in the last 18 months, but you'd need to squint pretty hard not to notice how many times he took the safe option, when a more confident player would have gone forward with the ball. Contrast Freeman's performance with that of Scott McMann. To me, Freeman is probably the more technically gifted player but their contributions are miles apart this season. McMann is a guy at the top of his game; Freeman is nowhere near the player he could be, or might have been.

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Felt ICT had our number, leaving us to pass around until the halfway line, and staying compact: that coupled with a poor display from Moult (he's allowed one), and lethargic performances from a couple of others, meant we deserved no more than a draw.

Finally Kai Fotheringham is a promising prospect, but he needs to know when to part with the ball.

Similar thoughts to mines. I don't think he was terrible at all but yeah scared to take people on.

He was doing a very able impression of Liam Smith.

13 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Odd take on Freeman.. I've a lot of time for Freeman but his confidence is clearly shot.

Obviously all footballers are affected by confidence, but with Freeman it seems perpetual.

When he first broke into the team, Freeman was fearless, attack minded and though he wasn't the best at defending, he still did his bit. The fact he was deployed at left back and still did a fantastic job against AZ at home was a testament to him.

Now though, he's a shell of the player he was. Second half yesterday every cross seemed to hit the first man, he didn't make a tackle as far as I could remember and his teammates appeared to have no confidence to pass to him. Cudjoe coming on had no impact because he had no obvious route to collect the ball.

In a losing team, I can understand the lack of confidence, but this season has gone really well, and he still plays like he's a trauma victim.

How does a player come back from this, other than to move clubs?

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Great goal for us yesterday.

Fair play. That is some liquid football. 

In other news, if the DABs don't win this division they should probably just fold. 

Thank you.