Partick Thistle 🔴🟡Vs Greenock Morton 🔵⚪️ - Saturday 11 November

1 hour ago, baba douche said:

I heard about the comments to Graham at 5:10 in the pub.

I had no idea about his brother until then.

I also heard what Imrie 'allegedly' said to a ballboy, from one of the ball boys/girls parents.

And I stress, I didn't hear any of this personally, even though I have clinically acute hearing, so it could be (may WELL be) absolute tosh, so don't think I'm sitting here believing it!

Saw Imrie going tonto at a ball boy who was standing in front of the section of the main stand where away fans normally are. Pathetic, but expected behaviour from him.

2 hours ago, thistledo said:

I love the seethe these games bring I really do, be a bit gutted when Morton get relegated.

Bit of a wild take the Morton fans coming on here condemning Brian Graham for his actions while having Dougie Imrie as their manager. 

I guess they can console themselves with the fact that the way that they and Dumbarton are heading it could be a Clyde Estuary banger in the offing .

22 hours ago, I Clavdivs said:

I guess they can console themselves with the fact that the way that they and Dumbarton are heading it could be a Clyde Estuary banger in the offing .

You mean Firth of Clyde.  "Estuary" is the English term.  How very Tory of you.

17 hours ago, Alibi said:

You mean Firth of Clyde.  "Estuary" is the English term.  How very Tory of you.

A quick Google brought this info up:

"MICHAEL Hance questions the use of the term "estuary" to describe the Forth Estuary (Herald Letters, May 20 2005).

The answer is straightforward. An estuary is defined as "a semi-enclosed coastal body of water, which has a free connection with the open sea, and within which sea water is measurably diluted with fresh water derived from land drainage" and originates from the Latin word "aestuarium". The word firth (or frith) originates from the Old Norse Word "fjoeror", which also gave rise to the modern Norwegian word of fjord. Both firth and fjord are now generally defined as an arm of the sea.

The difference is crucial - a firth (or fjord) is made up of undiluted sea water, but an estuary has a gradation of salt water dilution from fully salt water at its mouth to fresh water at its head, and experiences tidal f luctuations. For the sake of completion, a river is a freshwater body of water which flows in one direction (towards the head of the estuary) and does not experience tidal fluctuations.

Thus for the Forth the agreed geographical areas of definition are:

River Forth - upstream of Stirling;

Forth Estuary - Stirling to Queensferry; Firth of Forth - seawards from the Queensferry bridges.

And for the Clyde, the areas are:

River Clyde - upstream of the tidal weir in Glasgow; Clyde Estuary - Glasgow to Greenock; Firth of Clyde - seawards from Greenock.

I hope that this helps.

Donald McLusky (editor, Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science),"

Looks like Morton v Dumbarton is indeed an estuary derby. El Estuario?

14 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Forth Estuary - Stirling to Queensferry; Firth of Forth - seawards from the Queensferry bridges.

River Clyde - upstream of the tidal weir in Glasgow; Clyde Estuary - Glasgow to Greenock; Firth of Clyde - seawards from Greenock.

So, it would appear that the bulk of central Glasgow is not on the River Clyde- the river only actually begins at Glasgow Green. A new thing learnt every day.

On 15/11/2023 at 09:58, VictorOnopko said:

A quick Google brought this info up:

"MICHAEL Hance questions the use of the term "estuary" to describe the Forth Estuary (Herald Letters, May 20 2005).

The answer is straightforward. An estuary is defined as "a semi-enclosed coastal body of water, which has a free connection with the open sea, and within which sea water is measurably diluted with fresh water derived from land drainage" and originates from the Latin word "aestuarium". The word firth (or frith) originates from the Old Norse Word "fjoeror", which also gave rise to the modern Norwegian word of fjord. Both firth and fjord are now generally defined as an arm of the sea.

The difference is crucial - a firth (or fjord) is made up of undiluted sea water, but an estuary has a gradation of salt water dilution from fully salt water at its mouth to fresh water at its head, and experiences tidal f luctuations. For the sake of completion, a river is a freshwater body of water which flows in one direction (towards the head of the estuary) and does not experience tidal fluctuations.

I hope that this helps.

Donald McLusky (editor, Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science),"

Looks like Morton v Dumbarton is indeed an estuary derby. El Estuario?

Interesting.  However, is the word "Firth" ever applied similarly to rivers in England?  I can't recall anyone ever referring to the Firth of Thames for example, although I think they do use the term Thames estuary.  Is Firth a purely Scottish term?

6 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Interesting.  However, is the word "Firth" ever applied similarly to rivers in England?  I can't recall anyone ever referring to the Firth of Thames for example, although I think they do use the term Thames estuary.  Is Firth a purely Scottish term?

I think it's a Scots word but I'm no expert.  The Solway is the only one which touches England I think.  Maybe they use channel instead, e.g., the Severn Estuary (mix of total and fresh water) becomes the Bristol Channel (sea water). Tbh, firth seems to be used in some cases and not others even here (we have sea lochs too after all).

5 hours ago, Alibi said:

English Prog Rockers and masters of English whimsy mention "river dissolving on Sea" in their Masterpiece Firth of Fifth ....so who knows .Despite all this pish Tun heading for 4 head to heads with Dumbarton .

On 12/11/2023 at 14:56, JagsCG said:

It’s really no that deep. He’ll get his suspension for his action(s), and be back out on the field again, probably before Morton win their next league game.

As someone who watches many lower leagues when his home team is away( refuse to watch the bigot brothers) - Muir is truly out of his depth as a referee - gets so many decisions wrong , all about him.

Re Graham’s actions - it humours me that players can get such awful abuse from the stands and due to small numbers of fans can be heard clearly. Players usually ignore but if something vile is said and they respond  the authors of the abuse are suddenly victims. Woke gone mad- Brian gone yourself - anyone insults your family( if true - or anything else) - you have every right to react 👏👏👏

11 hours ago, Its not only a game said:

As someone who watches many lower leagues when his home team is away( refuse to watch the bigot brothers) - Muir is truly out of his depth as a referee - gets so many decisions wrong , all about him.

Re Graham’s actions - it humours me that players can get such awful abuse from the stands and due to small numbers of fans can be heard clearly. Players usually ignore but if something vile is said and they respond  the authors of the abuse are suddenly victims. Woke gone mad- Brian gone yourself - anyone insults your family( if true - or anything else) - you have every right to react 👏👏👏

Graham is a pantomime villain who should expect to get booed.  He's also a very dirty player and for some reason he doesn't seem to be held to the same standards as others by certain referees.  In that game, he didn't really achieve much on the field (maybe why he was being subbed off).  i don't buy the story about someone shouting something about his brother - how many people are even the least bit aware about his private life?  He gets booed because he has a history of elbowing people or trying to injure them in other ways, and for some reason he has some grudge against Morton.  His tantrum was comedy gold but every defender in Scotland, and every supporter, now knows he has an extremely short fuse.  Looking forward to seeing him at the King's Theatre where he's playing Baron Hardup.  I have that down as a score draw.

Graham never mentioned any specifics about what was said at a meet the manager night.

Seems to have been more an overreaction as his parents were in the stand,at getting a bit of general stick as he went off.