Aberdeen v The Rangers - 23/24 League Cup Final

Frank Grimes

29 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

The Aberdeen supporters here agree their team played dreadfully. Yet it took an also terrible Sevco until the 76th minute to take the lead, and a shocking yet unsurprising bit of reffing to avoid an equaliser.

So... stop being afraid of them, the other 10 Spiffle Premier teams. Our resident Union Bears are well happy now, and singing the praises of Plastic Bertrand; but he's one poor game away from being howled down and his and the board's sacking being demanded. OK, you're also playing against the reff and the linos and the VAR jockeys, but there is hope while they're this bad (see also their Parkhead twins and business partners).

A rested Aberdeen against a Rangers side who had just gave their all on Thursday and with little in the way of available replacements. 

In the past we would have been frustrated by Aberdeens tactics and allowed them into the game.

1 minute ago, bennett said:

A rested Aberdeen

What - weren't they playing on Thursday as well?

1 minute ago, bennett said:

a Rangers side who had just gave their all on Thursday and with little in the way of available replacements

You've got loads of money, some of it actually real. If your recruitment has been insufficient, blame yourselves.

I'll admit I turned it off at half time. It was a pretty horrendous game. 

But good to see The Rainjurz win. Especially with all the odds against them. Their 12th man (the ref) dragged them over the line. 

Thank you. 

10 minutes ago, bennett said:

A rested Aberdeen against a Rangers side who had just gave their all on Thursday and with little in the way of available replacements. 

In the past we would have been frustrated by Aberdeens tactics and allowed them into the game.

Budget?

4 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

What - weren't they playing on Thursday as well?

You've got loads of money, some of it actually real. If your recruitment has been insufficient, blame yourselves.

They made a lot changes,  it's been pretty well publicised. 

No one is blaming anyone,  just stating a fact.  Aberdeen basically had the perfect storm and couldn't take advantage. 

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Perception over reality. Duk went down three times. First one he got past defender, got his shirt pulled, goes down and a goal kick is given. Second one is the same scenario but this time the referee takes off his blue tinted glasses and gives a foul. Third one Butland takes him out to get to the ball, but luckily for you Robertson has stuck his glasses back on.

I think you are overlooking another instance when Duk went down where Clarkson (I think) had a shot from the edge of our box that found its way to Duk on the 6 yard line. He took a poor touch and as soon as he realised the ball was getting away from him he just collapsed, claiming for a non-existent penalty.

13 hours ago, AJF said:

There were two players just as bad as each other today for diving in opposing sides. I’ll let you guess the Aberdeen player.

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think you are overlooking another instance when Duk went down where Clarkson (I think) had a shot from the edge of our box that found its way to Duk on the 6 yard line. He took a poor touch and as soon as he realised the ball was getting away from him he just collapsed, claiming for a non-existent penalty.

So (potentially) one dive by Duk then.

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

And what were the instances of Cantwell diving? Was there more than 1 "potential" (no laughing at the back!)?

I never mentioned Cantwell diving, I only saw the second half so no idea what incidents happened in the first half. It was you that brought up Duk being a serial diver yesterday. Just saying you're wrong.

5 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I never mentioned Cantwell diving, I only saw the second half so no idea what incidents happened in the first half. It was you that brought up Duk being a serial diver yesterday. Just saying you're wrong.

Well you just quoted my original post on the matter that said Cantwell and Duk were as bad as each other yesterday so I presumed you were questioning my comparison of the two.

I think you are being rather blinded by bias if you don't believe Duk has a deserved reputation as a diver that he only added to yesterday.

ETA: I also have no real objections about the same being said regarding Cantwell.

Edited by AJF

I’m not really convinced by the Duk/butland incident tbh. I’ve watched it several times and can’t really make up my mind. 

The shirt pull though was always going to happen. You could have bet your mortgage on a rangers player pulling a shirt in the box and it mysteriously not be seen as a foul. Possibly poetic that it’s the same teams, in a cup final with the same VAR ref looking at it. 

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Well you just quoted my original post on the matter that said Cantwell and Duk were as bad as each other yesterday so I presumed you were questioning my comparison of the two.

I think you are being rather blinded by bias if you don't believe Duk has a deserved reputation as a diver that he only added to yesterday.

ETA: I also have no real objections about the same being said regarding Cantwell.

I know that Duk dives more often than not, I’m not that blinkered, but your point was about yesterday’s match and you were wrong.