Aberdeen v The Rangers - 23/24 League Cup Final

Frank Grimes

44 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m not really convinced by the Duk/butland incident tbh. I’ve watched it several times and can’t really make up my mind. 

There’s no way that Butland gets his hands on the ball in that situation without taking Duk out. Definite penalty, definitely never getting it. As others have said on here, it was so frustrating seeing every single 50/50 decision go to Rangers by Don Robertson, and the VAR, whoever he was, doing exactly the same. The only real delay that I remember from the second half, I missed the first, was the VAR desperately trying to find a way to give Rangers a penalty with the Gartenmann, I think it was, block in the box. Must have been really annoying that he couldn’t get a hand ball from that incident.

28 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

There’s no way that Butland gets his hands on the ball in that situation without taking Duk out. Definite penalty, definitely never getting it. As others have said on here, it was so frustrating seeing every single 50/50 decision go to Rangers by Don Robertson, and the VAR, whoever he was, doing exactly the same. The only real delay that I remember from the second half, I missed the first, was the VAR desperately trying to find a way to give Rangers a penalty with the Gartenmann, I think it was, block in the box. Must have been really annoying that he couldn’t get a hand ball from that incident.

I dunno, I’m still not totally sold on it so don’t have a problem with VAR not intervening. I think the shirt pull is much more revealing. 

Don Robertson was absolutely stinking though in general. 

40 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I know that Duk dives more often than not, I’m not that blinkered, but your point was about yesterday’s match and you were wrong.

I was wrong about Duk diving yesterday? I don’t think I was, as pointed out by the example I gave earlier. (Remember it was you who came up with the serial diver claim, not me).

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

I was wrong about Duk diving yesterday? I don’t think I was, as pointed out by the example I gave earlier. (Remember it was you who came up with the serial diver claim, not me).

Duks diving drove me mad yesterday tbh. There was one where he’d beaten his man and was in behind and he just went down. No need for it. 

13 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Duks diving drove me mad yesterday tbh. There was one where he’d beaten his man and was in behind and he just went down. No need for it. 

Aye. His two bursts down the left from where I was sitting, one looked a dive one looked a foul. The one I was discussing with Joey was the attempt to buy a penalty following Clarkson’s shot that is the main one that annoyed me.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

Aye. His two bursts down the left from where I was sitting, one looked a dive one looked a foul. The one I was discussing with Joey was the attempt to buy a penalty following Clarkson’s shot that is the main one that annoyed me.

The one I’m thinking of probably was a foul and he won the free kick, but he definitely threw himself over and he opted for a free kick on the edge instead of being in behind from open play. 

54 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I dunno, I’m still not totally sold on it so don’t have a problem with VAR not intervening. I think the shirt pull is much more revealing. 

Don Robertson was absolutely stinking though in general. 

I've seen a still of the shirt pull which proves nothing, but haven't seen the incident in real time yet.

35 minutes ago, AJF said:

Have you actually watched the two incidents? He had has shirt pulled back on both occasions to stop his run. Given that the second one was two yards outside the box the only way that was ever going to be given as a penalty is if it was at the other end.

Looking at this in the cold light of day, there is a lot of overreaction from both sides. From our side we lost a cup final in Glasgow to Rangers, which is not unusual. Rangers have improved, slightly, since we won at Ibrox a couple of months ago, and it's painful but never a disaster no matter how some fans want to dress it up. From Rangers point of view their fans now think they're world beaters because they scraped through a match 1-0 with the help of officials, and because another team beat Celtic 2-0.

8 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Have you actually watched the two incidents? He had has shirt pulled back on both occasions to stop his run. Given that the second one was two yards outside the box the only way that was ever going to be given as a penalty is if it was at the other end.

They don’t appear on any of the highlights I’ve seen (hence I said one looked like a foul and one looked like a dive from where I was sitting).

What they did show in the highlights though was his dive to try and win a penalty following Clarkson’s shot, which was categorically a dive.

44 minutes ago, tazz1903 said:

Kris Boyd said about the penalty Rangers got in the last min v Aberdeen. A shirt pull is a penalty regardless if affecting play. What about this one yesterday? Oh I forgot different rules for Rangers 🤨

IMG_1916.jpeg

IMG_1914.jpeg

IMG_1913.jpeg

I wouldn’t be that arsed by this shirt pull if it hadn’t been given a few weeks ago. 

We were told there was no hiding place now, if you pull a shirt in the box then VAR will catch it and you’ll be punished. 

There is no material difference in the incidents other than the fact goldson threw himself to the deck. 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

I wouldn’t be that arsed by this shirt pull if it hadn’t been given a few weeks ago. 

We were told there was no hiding place now, if you pull a shirt in the box then VAR will catch it and you’ll be punished. 

There is no material difference in the incidents other than the fact goldson threw himself to the deck. 

Is the ball in play when Cantwell has a hold of the shirt? 

Video I saw earlier suggests the ball wasn't in play and then when it's crossed in he let's go which would be different from the Goldson one.