East Fife vs Dumbarton

Outcome?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Outcome?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/23 at 15:00

That was a game we should've had won by half-time. But a mixture of inspired goalkeeping and finishing that wasn't clinical meant that it was a lot nervier than it should've been.

On the whole though we probably merited the three points on the basis of the chances we created, and I'm delighted that Kalvin didn't waste his once in a generation goal on one that wasn't a winner.

There were some good performances all over the park. Michael Ruth might not have got a goal, but he led the line absolutely superbly. He occupied the defenders, he was a threat and his link-up play was superb. It's been a long while since we had a natural #9 as good as him, and I'd be staggered if bigger clubs weren't keeping half an eye on him for a summer move. 

I thought Aron Lynas did a commendable job back at centre-half. He won a lot in the air and on the deck, stuck his body on the line (as he always does) and used the ball well when he was in possession.

Carlo Pignatiello was borderline untouchable in the first-half, and was key to a 20 minute spell where we really dominated. Ruth had a goal ruled out for offside, one off the line and Allan Fleming making some terrific saves from the Wallaces.

Over the 100 minutes or so of football the game wasn't a great watch. It was frantic, there wasn't a great deal of football and there weren't that many chances. Aside from a 20 minute stint in the first-half where we were excellent, but we showed both sides of us today. The free-flowing attacking stuff. And last season's grit to just get down the road with a clean sheet and three points.

I didn't think East Fife were all that bad. They won a good number of second balls, they tightened things up a fair bit at the back in the second-half and they looked a nice enough side. But they just didn't ever really look like scoring. 

Nathan Austin looked sharper than on the last visit to The Rock, but was still a shadow of the player he was a few years ago.

Kieran Mitchell, a player I really liked the look of at Bonnyrigg last year, was miles off it and made no impact other than being denied inside the opening seconds after being sent one-on-one by an underweighted Tony Wallace back-header. Scott Shepherd bustled about and did his usual when he came on, but again didn't really look like scoring.

Jack Healy is an odd one. I'm not sure if he's all bark and no bite, but he's certainly lively and looked the most likely to create something for EF. Although he was largely very well marshalled by Carlo Pignatiello.

The only major black mark against us (and it was something OKI was chatting to me about before the game) was the fact we gifted East Fife a golden chance inside the opening seconds. Only to be bailed out by Brett Long for the second week in a row. We will get punished for that if we don't start at maximum sharpness.

We're also lacking a wee bit on the bench at the moment too. Ross MacLean and Div Wilson didn't make a great deal of an impact when they came on, and again I thought we got worse when Ryan Wallace was hooked. We just don't really have anyone else who can do what he can in this shape.

All in all though it was a decent performance, another win, another clean sheet and another excellent result away from home. It's just a pest Stenny and Peterhead both dug out victories on a day where it looked like they both might drop points.

The mature East Fife fan sitting behind myself probably summed things up pretty well when he said that the game looked like an U-21 team taking on a professional outfit.

Whilst we certainly produced a patchy performance we won virtually all the physical battles that mattered, and whilst the Fifers pinged the ball about well they rarely threatened an equaliser.  A lot of pop and not much fizz.

Keeper Alan Fleming deservedly winning the home MOTM was a reasonable barometer of the play and one save in the first half in particular was different class.  And whereas EF at times played intricate football we produced League Two stuff across the length and width of the pitch - seldom pretty but ultimately effective, a bit like @Sweet Pete

No failures today but special mention to Michael Ruth who again put in a fine shift.

3 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Why is Nathan Austin called Fash? Is it a Fife thing? 

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Perhaps a reference to John Fashanu ?

This was the only connection I could make. He literally called him it every time and not Austin once, which seemed odd.

Just to add, Jan, I thankfully have absolutely no connection to Fife whatsoever, other than that I went to uni there.

Edited by FifeSons

What do we do on a Monday and Thursday night at training is beyond me gave away number of balls and when we have possession of the ball we dunno what to do with it that’s been our theme this season and today was a prime example of that.

we mustard only three shots yesterday and Dumbarton could of beat us 4-0 and I’m at the point loosing faith for mcdonald is under statement with every week passing this side is nowhere near last season team that got us to the play offs and should be bin before it’s too late given Elgin changed their manager and Clyde has lost theres.

6 minutes ago, Cambuslang Fifer said:

What do we do on a Monday and Thursday night at training is beyond me gave away number of balls and when we have possession of the ball we dunno what to do with it that’s been our theme this season and today was a prime example of that.

we mustard only three shots yesterday and Dumbarton could of beat us 4-0 and I’m at the point loosing faith for mcdonald is under statement with every week passing this side is nowhere near last season team that got us to the play offs and should be bin before it’s too late given Elgin changed their manager and Clyde has lost theres.

1468724-colman-s-original-english-mustard-100g-fop-50147311.png

4 hours ago, Cambuslang Fifer said:

I thought East Fife knocked the ball about quite well but overall they couldn't do much with it where it mattered.

If it's a youth policy you've gone for it's probably worth sticking with.

6 hours ago, microdave said:

Any highlights incoming? 

https://eftv.info/highlights-2023-24/

Excellent highlights as always from EF. Would've liked to see our disallowed goal again, but aside from that they really sum up the game. And not because I thought it was onside or anything, I've no idea, just because I was right at the opposite end and didn't get a proper look at it.

If Tony Wallace had his shooting boots on he could've had a hat-trick. He had a strange game yesterday, he always looked a threat and produced some cracking moments. But equally gave the ball away more than I've seen him do all season.

The more the year goes on the more I'm enjoying watching him though. He's a guy who just gets League Two football and would be an asset to any side.

100% a chest for the second handball claim. You can't definitively say for the first one, from that angle. I suspect both sets of fans will see what they want to see for that one. The bizarre decision was that he gave a corner from it when the ball clearly hasn't gone out.

Edited by FifeSons